Respected Contributor

Re: What do you do with the jewelry boxes?

I toss them, but always with a bit of guilt over the waste. I don't think charities want them either.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Why can't you just throw them out?  I don't think I would just dump them on some charity without first asking if there is a need for old jewelry boxes.  I doubt that there is.  If you have friends who have yard sales, perhaps you can give them to those friends to sell.  I'd toss them, you said they are old and cheap and you already got your money's worth out of them.

Honored Contributor

I do keep a few of the nicer ones and a few in different styles/sizes so that I can put gifted jewelry in them.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why can't you just throw them out?  I don't think I would just dump them on some charity without first asking if there is a need for old jewelry boxes.  I doubt that there is.  If you have friends who have yard sales, perhaps you can give them to those friends to sell.  I'd toss them, you said they are old and cheap and you already got your money's worth out of them.

I did not say old and cheap. They are obviously cheap,you know Q, Evine, HSN boxes, but they look brand new.

Honored Contributor

I keep for awhile, and then pitch them.

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

I have accumulated a lot of unwanted jewelry boxes since I store my jewelry in Wolf’s special boxes.  So I do not know what to do with the old packaging, I cannot just throw them out....Some good ones like Sonia B I keep, but the cheap ones?

What do you do?

I am so glad you asked this question becuase I was wondering the same thing.  I have a LOT of boxes that jewelry came in, a big majority are the black fuzzy snap close ones.  I kept all of them.  I guess my thinking was that some day I will give the jewelry away and can put them back in boxes.  But whomever I give things to will likely throw away the box themselves.  It seems like such a waste to throw them out, but I really don't have room to keep all those boxes.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I did not say old and cheap. They are obviously cheap,you know Q, Evine, HSN boxes, but they look brand new.

They are the packaging that jewelry comes in??  I actually assumed that you were talking about real jewelry boxes and that upgraded to better ones.  If I knew you meant those little packaging boxes, I'd have said throw them out.  They are just cardboard boxes.

Respected Contributor

I now trash all the boxes jewelry comes in as I have a lot of jewelry and very good storage for it.  HSN antitarnish stackable trays, 2 jewelry armoires and several jewelry antitarnish dresser top cabinets.

I used to keep Carolyn Pollock boxes when they were green or tan suede like boxes and some of the suede like black hard shell boxes jewelry used to come in and used them when gifting jewelry.  I also used to keep the boxes that Suzanne Somers tennis-type bracelets came in.  They were green marble looking boxes I thought were pretty and she later changed to a different color (I think purple) that were also very nice.   I thought they would come in handy for packing if I moved.

Had so many empty boxes stored I came to my senses and I have trashed all boxes jewelry comes except for 3 hard shell boxes I will use for gifting. 

I am in the process of freeing my home from unnecessary, unused or unloved items. 

Respected Contributor

I am saving many for the grandkids to use to build a city

Valued Contributor

I have used them in drawers to create custom orgaization.  I open the boxes and nestle the boxes side by side with the jewelry exposed so I can see it when I open the drawer.