Honored Contributor

What diamond grade (VS, etc.,) would be assigned to an eye-clean stone?

QVC has a nice looking diamond band with five 20 point stones coming up as a TSV.  Reading the Peyton Kelly article in the Insider, I find QVC carries "eye clean" stones.  I've been very happy with the grades on their gemstones over the years, but are eye clean diamonds worth investing in?

Honored Contributor

Re: What diamond grade (VS, etc.,) would be assigned to an eye-clean stone?

I can read the chart but it may be hard for some to see. A clean stone would be Flawless/IF.  Mine is VVS1.

Clarity Scale

C30121424285825.png

Honored Contributor

I believe the chart specifics refer to inclusions under magnification.  QVC uses the term "eye clean" which I believe has nothing to do with magnification.  Not that you can get a straight answer out of them about the grading system the diamond industry uses.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I believe the chart specifics refer to inclusions under magnification.  QVC uses the term "eye clean" which I believe has nothing to do with magnification.  Not that you can get a straight answer out of them about the grading system the diamond industry uses.

Yes the chart refers to inclusions under magnification.

Q made up their own term "Eye Clean". No telling what that means. LOL!!!

I certainly would not go by that when buying a diamond. I want to know the 4 C's. I want to know what I'm paying for.

Honored Contributor

I should have said I've been happy with the consistently quality of QVC's gemstones, not grades.  They don't grade gemstones.  Here is the asterisk info from Peyton Kelly's article:  No inclusions visible to the unaided eye when viewed from the face uip position in daylight or fluorescent lighting from apprimately 6" to 12" from the eye using 20/20 vision."  I think color comes into play also, but it is not mentioned.  Its still a nice looking ring. 

Trusted Contributor

An eye-clean diamond would look shiny, bright and clear.  Put a 10power loupe to the diamond and see flecks of dust and dirt, that is where the rest of grading comes in.   Just viewing the stones on TV or online, you can see if it is cloudy.  I see it all the time.  A good Diamond will throw out a prism, even if it gets dirty with gardening, lotion, things like that.  Price always takes in the 4Cs.  It never considers YOUR likes and budget.  A ring with 50 stones in it will be priced less than 1 stone weighing the same carat weight.  If you like the ring, buy it, enjoy it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise........Just my very own opinion------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Eye clean may not be on all the charts, but I don't think QVC made it up.  I heard it at least 30 years before QVC existed, probably at Macys.  I have an eye clean cluster ring from them - circa 1973.  It's sparkly and I like the style, but it's definitely jewelry, not an investment.  It's a carat, but I neither know nor care how many stones.

All that stuff about the 4 C's is important when we buy larger stones or maybe for a special ring, but really not nearly so important for lots of jewelry.  Even when you research diamonds, there's not a whole lot of info on stones of less than 1 carat.  Buy what you like and what your wallet likes!

Respected Contributor

Yes, "eye clean" is a common term used with diamonds which simply means, "no visible inclusions with the naked eye."  In my case, however, at 67 years old that means ALL diamonds would qualify as eye clean!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Yes, "eye clean" is a common term used with diamonds which simply means, "no visible inclusions with the naked eye."  In my case, however, at 67 years old that means ALL diamonds would qualify as eye clean!

@2blonde wrote:

Ha!! At 55 I'd say the same!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm 58 & never heard it called eye clean. I worked at Zales years ago. They were amazed I could see the inclusions in the diamonds without their loupe. I worked in the office but when I was not busy I liked cleaning the diamonds & looking at all of it.