Honored Contributor

What criteria determines your choice in jewelry?

There's some beautiful pieces of jewelry owned by people on here and I got to wondering what helps you decide?

I know the colors I like, the band color I like (it does change from time to time), and the style, cut of what you see.

Rings are my main choice because I can see them the best. With my hands, bracelets and necklaces are harder to manuver, I do manage though.

So what helps you decide on what to buy?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What criteria determines your choice in jewelry?

I have always wore mutiple rings on each hand (3),,,so I look for new styles that would 'go' with what I already have.

I also like hoop earings.....always look for something different in that style too..

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

At this point between what I have bought over the years and what I have inherited from my Mom an avid QVC Shopper from the early days, I look for something unique or a stone I don't have much of.

I'm an equal opportunity shopper, I love rings, bracelets, earrings and necklaces equally. I like a high quality piece, not so much into Bronzo or plated pieces, I'd rather save up and splurge for the real thing. Current obsessions, black spinel and western pieces but I do love my gold.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Respected Contributor

I usually buy what is visually pleasing . What draws my attention to the piece. It could be $30 piece or $5,000 piece,doesn't matter. I love them all. Also I make sure if I can afford it at the moment. Preferably I would like my rings to be low profile so I can wear to work ( gloves). But for special occasions it doesn't matter.

Some stones I sooo drawn to I have to have it.

Honored Contributor

I think you get more for your money with a classic piece in a precious or semi precious stone and gold or sterling.  Something well made, that you can wear a long long time.  To me, I would rather have "real" jewelry of value that I will enjoy a lifetime rather than a bunch of inexpensive pieces that are trendy

But that's just me.  I have a number of David Yurman pieces I have worn and worn and worn and still love.  I've spent less on them per wearing than anything else I have.   They are well made I'll say because they have been through a lot over the years!  I am old!

Respected Contributor

Quality of the construction, choice of metal used, quality of the gem or pearl, style and design, and perceived value for the item.

I have made a few mistakes with the first item on my list and it ends up costing you money or loosing the item altogether is it is not repairable.

Respected Contributor

During the last 25 years I've acquired more jewelry than China has rice, but I still love gemstones and continue to look for things that are new and exciting for me.  Just when I think I have everything, someone comes up with something new!  My favorites are rings and bracelets, and my favorite gems are opals, ammolite, and colored sapphires.  I love multi-colored pieces......the more colorful the better!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I have multiple rings in every gem color so for me to buy something new,  it must be different and in a very unusual setting.   I rarely buy jewelry these days because I've already got pieces I've never worn. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think it all boils down to "taste"!  You'd have to look at what I have to know what I love.  

I love stones the colors of a "winter's pallette" in Color Me beautiful.  I love hand crafted items as well as gems from jewelry stores.  The more desigh and craftsmanship to it, the more I tend to love it.  

One example would be the fosilized walrus' tusk that was hand carved into the face and beard of a mountain man.  This reminds me of thye stories I heard as a child of my great uncle who was born around 1910 and was a moonshiner in the Appalachian mountains.

Esteemed Contributor

I am currently inventorying my jewelry and taking photos of each item and then putting the photos in an Adobe photoshop album. As I've gotten older my finger size and wrist size have changed from gaining weight so I will be givng my too small items to my daughter. Most of my jewelry is silver and not expensive as I'm not comfortable wearing expensive jewelry. I would say my criteria is that it has to be pretty.