Esteemed Contributor

What are your thoughts on the use of rhododendrum plating and black spinel on jewelry?

[ Edited ]

Have noticed a huge increase in the last few years in rhododendrum plating and black spinel. Would love to hear how others feel about such dark and black looks on the jewelry being shown in so many designs on QVC. This may become a lively conversation!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts on the use of rhododendrum plating and black spinel on jewelry?

Rhododendrum is a plant do you mean Rhodium

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts on the use of rhododendrum plating and black spinel on jewelry?

Rhodium is just a silver colored plating that keeps sterling from tarnishing.  You can't detect it and only know its there if someone tells you.  Are you referring to the dark plating?  I like it in many applications as it adds an interesting look and contrasts with bright gemstones. 

I like black spinel a lot.  Have you seen it in person?  It sparkles like crazy even in dim light.  It's gorgeous for evening wear.  I have a ring that looks like sparks are coming out of it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't like black rhodium plating, since it can wear off. It is used to bring out contrast in stones, make their color pop.

It is used to whiten white gold. I have 14k

white gold rings where the white rhodium is wearing off and the ring now has a yellowish cast. All plating wears away with wear.

I would have purchased the5 stone alexandrite ring for $699 if not for the black rhodium plating on the prongs.

I know I can get pieces replated but why should I have to - these pieces are supposed to be fine jewelry?

Trusted Contributor

I have several pieces of black spinel and I always enjoy wearing it.   It goes really nice now with my whites.  As they say you can dress it up or dress it down to go with any outfit.   The simple design on my pieces will never go out of style.  I wouldn't care if it did.  The sparkle and shine, even in dim restaurants, looks great.  Fireflies on my ears, neck, wrist and fingers.   Because of arthritis now sometimes I can't wear my rings.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep! It was in the middle of the night when I posted that question. Smiley Happy Tried to proof-read without glasses. Sounds like something you'd hear on QVC! Glad you caught it and corrected me. 

Thought all the black plating took away from the beauty of the stones. Or, was it hiding something? Left me wondering about the reason for using it so often.

No, I've never seen a black spinel. I'll visit my jeweler and ask to see their assortment of black spinel loose stones! Sounds like black spinel might be something worth checking out. From viewing on TV, have not been impressed. However, like your comments about the stone. Thanks for your feedback.

I do love a bright red spinel stone purchased in Thailand. Have had it set with amazing diamonds from my local jeweler in a ring designed by both of us. I always wear it during the Nebraska Football season! It's far more beautiful and brilliant than a ruby. The red spinel is a vivid red and very pretty; full of life. One of my favorite pieces of jewelry for many reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

iMW - My son was born in late June and I've always wanted Alexandrite (as his birthstone) set in a ring. My jeweler had a couple stunning pieces a few years ago. Could have purchased a high-end vehicle for the prices! I passed on that amazing stone. 

But what fun to see the color change. Inside. Then take the piece outside . . . the WOW factor really goes into effect! Magnificent stone! 

However, I noticed those stone weren't set securely in their settings. Enlarge the pictures and look at the end stones. Check out where the prongs are holding those stones. It looks like those stones could easily fall out. Not to mention that itty-bitty diamonds do absolutely nothing for the ring.

Keep looking at Alex's. They are amazing. Hope someday to own one, but think that a quality stone is in my dreams. I don't want to settle for a $699 ring. Give me the equavalent of the Hope diamond when it comes to my son's B-day stone. (He's 43 and I've been waiting a very long time for the right stone. Chances of being able to afford it are slim to nil!)  Smiley Happy