Honored Contributor

Re: What a show! Gem Shopping rare gems

@BirkiLady wrote:

@songbird  Buy jewelry for pleasure; not investment. The mark-up is huge! You'll never be able to sell any jewelry at a profit. Wear it and enjoy it, but invest your money elsewhere. 

ETA: And have anything purchased from a shopping channel or on-line appraised by a reputable GIA professional! You must know it really is what they are claiming on TV.

@BirkiLady @songbird Also, unless you personally connect with a buyer that wants that exact piece, it's highly likely that you will just get 50% of the value because it's "used".  I learned quite a lot selling fine jewelry for 5 years.

Honored Contributor

I know enough about gems and investments to know that a person should never buy such things for investment reasons.  Having said that, I discovered GSN a month ago and I have fallen in love with it.  I love seeing all of that amazing jewelry and I enjoy learning about gems and jewelry.  I see those things selling for tens of thousands of dollars and I wonder about the people who spend that much money just seeing it on tv.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I know enough about gems and investments to know that a person should never buy such things for investment reasons.  Having said that, I discovered GSN a month ago and I have fallen in love with it.  I love seeing all of that amazing jewelry and I enjoy learning about gems and jewelry.  I see those things selling for tens of thousands of dollars and I wonder about the people who spend that much money just seeing it on tv.  

Just a while ago, they had Cat Florence designs of D & E color diamonds set 18K rose gold. The entire selection, LOL! The selling price was off air.  When they say that, they usually mean 1/2 price.  Like a pair of earrings they had was $17,000.00.  Off air price (that you call in) would be $8,500.00.  They get the same designers that are on QVC, but sell gem and diamond set in 18K & Platinum.  I was shocked to see Dallas Prince on there selling jewelry dripping with diamonds set in platinum etc. that I have never seen in my life.  And all the while, I kept thinking of QVC!  It was too funny. I think the only designer I haven't seen on Gem Shopping was that vendor selling Kelly Ann blue stones set in silver.  Can't remember that guy's name. But seriously, some of these gem stones go for millions of dollars.  The last Burma ruby (unheated) went on auction at Christies for $1.2 million. The previous owner sat on this gem for like 10 years before deciding to sell it.  And yes, they get buyers.   The business is like investing in paintings. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I don't buy for investment.  I'm simply stating what I see.  People paying $10,000.00  plus for gem stone jewelry.  Within the opening of the show, they were buying. Cashmere gems are different from you average gem stone.  They have never been heated.  They come up from the ground looking amazing.They were also selling flawless diamonds.  Diamonds have always been an investment. People also invest in gold.  It's worth money and some ways better then paper money.  It's like buying stocks or land.  I see no different between investing in gold or this.

I have my GIA and I worked in management for Tiffany's. Please do not purchase gemstones from television. Diamonds are not investments unless you purchase IF, D color large diamonds that are perfectly cut. Even then, they do not appreciate all that much. They have taken a hit in the past few years.

Kashmir sapphires are not graded by GIA rather they are simply descriptions of the sapphires such as origin. The markup from television stations would be prohibitive. Their profit margin is astronomical.

The average consumer who is unfamiliar with the gem trade should put their money into a portfolio that is guided by their financial advisor. Purchasing gemstones and gold jewelry from television would be highly inadvisable.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11  Thanks, Trinity. You and I know that, but felt like I was singing to the Choir. Hopefully, everything has been paid in full (including home, vehicles, children's and/or grandchildren's educations, retirement funds, retirement home expenses, plenty of securities and financial investments for the future, etc.).

I'm not a bettin' woman, but I'd bet money none of the above was taken care of before spending money on TV or on-line jewelry. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Trinity11  Thanks, Trinity. You and I know that, but felt like I was singing to the Choir. Hopefully, everything has been paid in full (including home, vehicles, children's and/or grandchildren's educations, retirement funds, retirement home expenses, plenty of securities and financial investments for the future, etc.).

I'm not a bettin' woman, but I'd bet money none of the above was taken care of before spending money on TV or on-line jewelry. 

Quite frankly, @BirkiLady , my response was only because I would hate to see someone "taken" that had little to no knowledge of how the jewelry industry works. When someone seems to be enthralled with "investments" which I imagine the spiel is from some salesperson hawking their wares on some television station, I cringe thinking how many people are taken in by unscrupulous business practices.

Whatever someone does regarding their personal financial affairs is none of my business but since I worked in the jewelry industry for many years, I heard about many people making so called "investments" in fine jewelry that turned out to be similar to penny stocks.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady  I did not start buying gold or diamonds until all of the things you mentioned were taken care of beforehand.  Since it is I do not feel guilty at all buying gold or diamonds now; it is strictly for pleasure. I agree with you that most people have not given a thought to the things you just mentioned.  SInce I have no children I did not have to worry about college funds.  Just grateful that God has blessed me and I can now enjoy the things I buy whether it be jewels or clothes.

Heard awhile back that people even nearing retirement have only $10,000 in the bank; that is just plain sad.  They have not planned or given a thought on retirement. 

Trusted Contributor

Wasn't there a case fairly recently in which a well known football player sued his jeweler, to whom he had entrusted funds to buy investment-grade diamonds?  Turned out the diamonds were substantially over priced and useless as an investment vehicle.  The football player won a substantial judgment from the jeweler, with whom he had done business before.  

Caveat emptor!