Trusted Contributor

Re: What Costume Jewelry Does NOT Tarnish?

@on the bay wrote:

I was going to say Joan Rivers too-

I don't know what is used, but the ones I have have never tarnished!

I'm sad to say my Joan Rivers earrings turned really bad and can't be cleaned - I've tried everything.  Not sure what they're made of but not silver and not stainless.  Of course, those were a favorite pair of earrings and no way could they be purchased in gold. I have even considered having them dipped but I think that would also be cost prohibitive.

Valued Contributor

Have tons of costume jewelry and the majority has not tarnished.  If it does I use a polishing cloth and tarnish is gone.  I also keep some of it in silver safekeepers.  Kohls has some of those brands of costume jewelry like Napier, etc.  Also I've bought some older pieces on ebay as the plating was much better way back when. 

Honored Contributor

Most costume jewelry is made of base metal (vs. precious metal of real jewelry). From there it is plated w/ silver, gold, etc. The quality & how many layers of plating determines the tarnish factor. Some pieces are plated w/ sterling silver and can therefore be cleaned w/ a tarnishing cloth.

Jewelry plated w/ silver tone or gold tone is more difficult to keep clean.  If the costume jewelry piece is plated w/ silver tone and then damaged by hitting against door (a bracelet, etc.), the plating can "pit" or crack allowing air to get in and cause the piece to tarnish.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

If you can afford it-------------Brighton is great stuff

I agree. I can't wear their heavier earrings, but the quality is there. I have never had anything tarnish because they coat their jewelry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, Anne Klein which is sold at Belk and the brands they sell in fashion jewelry in the glass cases are much better quality.

@Sunshine KateI was in Belks today and Kate Spade was one brand I was thinking of.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I was going to say Joan Rivers too-

I don't know what is used, but the ones I have have never tarnished!

I had a JR goldtone pendant watch on a chain.  It turned my neck green and left gray/black marks on my blouse.  When I rubbed the chain with a tissue, the tissue was black.

Honored Contributor

Ralph Lauren jewelry in dept. stores is also tarnish free.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Our Boscov's still carries Monet and Napier, but I have not seen Trifari in years. I have a Napier bar closure bangle from Napier in the gold color from the 60's, I think. It was my MIL's and it came to me after she died. Can you imagine a sliding bar closure in a costume bangle!

Contributor

I have some Napier and Monet pieces that have never discolored in 40 years.

I have several gold colored heavy link necklaces, bracelets, earrings, even belts, that have never ever discolored in any way, despite heavy wear. 

Some of these pieces are from the dollar store, and every piece I have mentioned has retained its beautiful color; and not one of them is less than 25 years old.

On jewelry shows, hosts proudly tell us they we are not receiving mystery metal, but precious metals. Well, the only pieces I own that have discolored, despite being kept in expensive jewelry boxes lined with silver and gold protection, are the ones made of precious metals.

If all the cheap pieces I have worn for years have retained their perfect gold color, why can't the precious metals do the same?I know things tarnish, but why have- my mystery metals done so well with no care---no wiping down after wearing, never stored in special boxes...

...yet on many of my expensive pieces, I can see the silver beneath  the gold coating that  is wearing away, and none of these pieces have been worn extensively.

Any similar experiences?

Honored Contributor

@JBSH  Apparently faux isn't what it used to be. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment