Honored Contributor

Watched a Moissanite show yesterday

Has anyone here had experience with this? I wonder how that stone is over time.  Any comments?

Honored Contributor

Re: Watched a Moissanite show yesterday

@qualitygal

Truth be told, my wedding ring set is moissanite.  If the guarentee is still the same the moissanite has a lifetime warranty.  I am not a diamond gal and my rings look the same as the day my DH purchased them 14 years ago.  There are different levels of moissanite if I remember correctly.  Many different places sell Charles and Colvard moissanite. Where did you see the moissanite that you liked?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have several pieces of moissante set in 14k.   I love them.  I purchased them from different places and they are all white, sparkling, and gorgeous.  I've had some for 15 years and they are just as gorgeous as the day I received them.   

There is talk about a yellowish or greenish tinge to moissanite.  None of mine have this.  None of mine have turned color to this over the years either.

I don't know about moissante set in silver.  I can't wear silver so have never tried it.  I have a friend who has a couple pieces in silver and silver-clad and they don't seem to be the same quality as those set in gold.  But they are pretty.

If you buy moissante from JTV, you will want to have the prongs checked by a jeweler when you receive it.  I bought 3 pieces from them over the years and all of them needed tightening or I would have soon lost the stones.

If I had it to do over, my wedding set would be moissante too.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123, it was on JTV. I did a search in here on Moissanite today and some notes didn't sound like it was a good idea always. It was Charles ....and he's a designer, in diamonds and moissanite. So I wondered. It sure is pretty.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

My rings are set in platinum.  I am interested in where the poor reviews came from? I also agree that from a quality standpoint that it does matter what the setting is made of.  I know that Target and Kohl's have moissanite online only. I know that others have mentioned other sites as well. Hopefully more responses will come in to your question.

Respected Contributor

I have 4 pieces of Moissanite jewelry.  Three white and one canary.  I love it and actually perfer it to cz.   I would purchase the new  "Forever Brilliant" next time though.

If you want to try it in the least expensive way possible, find something in your jewelry wardrobe and replace the stone with a loose moissanite.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some stud earrings and a solitaire pendant and I think they're great.

They are Silicon Carbide and are harder than sapphires, so they are quite scratch-resistant. They also don't seem to attract oils as much as diamonds or CZs do, so they are particular good for earrings.

Moissanite has come a long way since they were first manufactured. There is a range of colors (icy white to warm), as well as "fancy colored" (through a coating process, or sometimes natively grown). There are also a lot of different shapes. You can see the info here:

http://www.moissanite.com/educate/faqs

What is the difference between Forever Classic™, Forever Brilliant®, and Forever One™ moissanite?

Forever Classic™, offers subtle color shades in the J – K range of the industry color scale, with faint undertones of green to yellow to gray. Forever Classic™ is the original brand of created moissanite manufactured and distributed by Charles & Colvard®. As the first successful creation of a pure, laboratory-produced moissanite gem, Forever Classic™ moissanite remains a popular choice for jewelers, retailers, and customers. Forever Classic™ moissanite’s accessible price point also makes it an attractive choice for budget-minded consumers.

Forever Brilliant® moissanite are gems that possess the prized, near-colorless G-H-I range, allowing consumers to own an incredibly brilliant, near-colorless gem in a range of unique cuts and dazzling large sizes that would otherwise be out of reach for all but the most affluent. This moissanite brand is brighter and whiter than Forever Classic® moissanite™.

A technical breakthrough ten years in the making.

Charles & Colvard Forever One™, the newest addition to the Charles & Colvard® family. A triumph of art, science, and sustained effort, Forever One™ is an unprecedented achievement with the extreme hardness and robustness inherent in all Charles & Colvard Created Moissanite®. Forever One™ is at the very pinnacle of the gemological scale, in the coveted D-E-F ranges and is a gem so pure, so white, so incredibly brilliant that it promises to change, forever, how fine jewelry is made and enjoyed. Forever One™ is available only in limited quantities and cuts, and allows discerning jewelers and selective consumers to thrill in the ownership of an heirloom-quality gemstone that fulfills every promise of purity and brilliance.

Is Moissanite Available in Colors?

Yes. In addition to Forever Classic™, Forever Brilliant®, and Forever One™ we offer treated (coated) moissanite in a number of colors, and occasionally, a very limited quantity of natural green, blue, gray, and/or yellow. However, the majority of moissanite sold is near-colorless.

Moissanite is not supposed to change color over time.

Will moissanite fade or change color over time?

No. There are no likely situations in which the color of moissanite will be permanently changed. Moissanite does undergo a temporary color change when exposed to extreme heat (for example, from a jeweler’s torch during jewelry repair), but with proper bench techniques there will be no lasting damage, and the gem will return to its normal color once it cools.

There is also another type of Silicon Carbide known as the "Amora Gem" by BetterThanDiamond. You can read about it here: https://betterthandiamond.com/categories/Amora-Gem/

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I have 4 pieces of Moissanite jewelry.  Three white and one canary.  I love it and actually perfer it to cz.   I would purchase the new  "Forever Brilliant" next time though.

If you want to try it in the least expensive way possible, find something in your jewelry wardrobe and replace the stone with a loose moissanite.

I can't imagine someone NOT preferring it to Cz.   Moissanite is not even in the same ballpark as CZ.   It much more brilliant and sparkly.   I'd prefer it to a diamond.   There are various qualities and I daresay JTV probably doesn't carry the best. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I noticed Evine has moissanite as well.  It looks like a lovely stone to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I did purchase a ring (t.v. one) but I really like it. My husband actually sat down and watched the show with me, and then went on line. You should see what he was thinking of!

Not that I wouldn't like it, but I think we need to eat too. LOL. I had to rein him in, he thought they were beautiful too.

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciated it.