Honored Contributor

Some of our thrift shops carry watches, in fact one of them replaces the batteries before putting them out.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@kivah Right now, I have 5 watches I probably have not worn for at least 5 years.  I can’t think of any reason to spend time or money for new batteries only to have them sit for another couple of years.

I can’t remember seeing a watch in any thrift shop for years  so they will go into this week’s trash.  I still have 2 watches which need batteries, but unlike the colorful ones I plan to discard, those 2 are silver with gold accents and I do sometimes wear them.

@millieshops  If I have watches that I don't wear often, I keep the stem pulled out so the battery is not engaged. I do have to re-set the time when I decide to push the stem in and wear it, but less time and money than new batteries.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Some of our thrift shops carry watches, in fact one of them replaces the batteries before putting them out.

I agree, I bought an old Ecclissi watch at one.

I'm fascinated with this thread, I've never had an automatic watch.

Or a watch winder.

What a sheltered life I've led!

Now I want both.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I used to do that, too, but I haven't worn these watches for at least 5 years.  None of their batteries survived that time; if they had, I would donate them instead of trashing them.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@kivah Right now, I have 5 watches I probably have not worn for at least 5 years.  I can’t think of any reason to spend time or money for new batteries only to have them sit for another couple of years.

I can’t remember seeing a watch in any thrift shop for years  so they will go into this week’s trash.  I still have 2 watches which need batteries, but unlike the colorful ones I plan to discard, those 2 are silver with gold accents and I do sometimes wear them.

@millieshops  If I have watches that I don't wear often, I keep the stem pulled out so the battery is not engaged. I do have to re-set the time when I decide to push the stem in and wear it, but less time and money than new batteries.

I was told by a watch repair man (and then did my own research) that pulling the stem out does not deploy the battery. the only way to save battery life is to remove it. also, leaving the stem open allows dust to get in the mechanism. I to used to pull out stems, but after reading about this rather replace the battery. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Watch Question

[ Edited ]

@kivah  If you don't wear them, but want to keep them, just pull the stem away from the side of the watch. This saves the battery. When you decide to wear one, just set it to the correct time and push them stem back snug against the side of the watch.

@Eileen in Virginia.  It also allows moisture and dust to penetrate the inner working of the watch and IS NOT recommended by watch experts.

@Shanus 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@kivah wrote:

In 1964 my mother and I were on a tour in Europe and the tour guide dropped us off at a watch store in Switzerland. We both bought watches with 18KT gold bands --- and I also bought a beautiful pendant watch --- where u wind them. They're all still ticking. I have many Eclissi watches that I bought from the Q years ago. I don't wear watches often now since I'm retired - and the batteries are always DEAD.

@kivah  If you don't wear them, but want to keep them, just pull the stem away from the side of the watch. This saves the battery. When you decide to wear one, just set it to the correct time and push them stem back snug against the side of the watch.

That is what I usually do.  But sometimes I will wear the same watch for say three/four days so I don't pull the stopper.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia.  It also allows moisture and dust to penetrate the inner working of the watch and IS NOT recommended by watch experts.

@Shanus 

@Kachina624   I only have 2 sport watches that are "self winders". I wear them often enough that they haven't collected dust yet.

Honored Contributor

If it stops because you haven't worn it in a couple of days you simply wind it.

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of Ecclissi watches, I've bought probably ten sterling ones (over the years) from EBay for a fraction of their original price.  They are all still working!