Honored Contributor

Re: Want your opinion about wearing an antique ring

I don't think the middle finger is any "safer" than the ring finger.  Both are flanked by other fingers.  The pointer and pinkie are the risky guys.  Wear it on whichever finger you prefer and/or it looks best.

Respected Contributor

I think the ring finger is the 'safest' finger to wear a ring on... but wear the ring where you think you will enjoy it most.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have it checked and wear it! 😊 If you feel it’s safer on a different finger, fine. Jewelry is for our enjoyment in this life. When we move on we don’t take it with us. (Well you can be buried with it but why?) jmho

I have my mom’s platinum diamond engagement ring and wedding band. Dad gave them to me for safekeeping when Mom was hospitalized.  When she came home I tried to give them back but we couldn’t get them on due to arthritis.  By then it was pretty obvious she was much farther into dementia than any of us, except Dad who’d been covering for her, realized. 

Mom is in a nursing home and is completely nonverbal now. I still have her beautiful rings. They’re safe. I’ll keep them for a while but at some point will pass them on to my niece if all my siblings agree. 

Valued Contributor

I have a beautiful opal ring that my grandfather got while in Denmark in 1905. It is tucked away. I wouldn't dare wear it. The shank has worn thin. It's very delicate. 

Honored Contributor

Recently I slammed my hand into something by accident.  The only bruise I got was on my middle finger, so that isn't necessarily the safest.  I would have the ring checked and wear it wherever you want.  If you have a pendant made, be sure to incorporate the entire top of the ring, not just the diamonds.  The lady with the opal, for you I would recommend having a pendant made.  I buy jewelry at auctions and have many rings I treasure. 

Honored Contributor

Many thanks to all who have posted. When I received the ring it had “beads” in the band but was much to small for me. At the time I was very heavy, and wore a true size 7, but now I am a 6 3/4, so hopefully the beads will help that.

When it was previously sized, much to my annoyance, the beads were removed. It WAS thoroughly vetted though, and I was told that the setting is sturdy, with one crack in one of the very small sapphires. It was not necessary for that sapphire to be replaced.

I am SO looking forward to wearing it after it’s sized properly. 

THANKS AGAIN- on my way to the jewelers.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Recently I slammed my hand into something by accident.  The only bruise I got was on my middle finger, so that isn't necessarily the safest.  I would have the ring checked and wear it wherever you want.  If you have a pendant made, be sure to incorporate the entire top of the ring, not just the diamonds.  The lady with the opal, for you I would recommend having a pendant made.  I buy jewelry at auctions and have many rings I treasure. 

@depglass, I’d love to hear about some of your treasured auction finds! 😊