Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Want your opinion about wearing an antique ring

Huh?  Platinum is the hardest of the noble metals and diamonds and sapphires are extremely durable.  That's why we there as our engagment and wedding jewelry.  Hard and durable.  I would take the ring to good jeweler to make sure that there are no loose prongs and then I'd wear the ring.  You are getting it resized so have the prongs checked and get it cleaned at the same time and enjoy that ring, it sounds beautiful.

Honored Contributor

If your all that worried about it - consider having it turned into a pendant. It won't get damaged around your neck.

Respected Contributor

I agree with everyone else.  Take it to a good jewelry store that has a bench jeweler who can do repairs in platinum if they are needed.  Invest in having the ring thoroughly examined and repaired if needed at the same time you have it sized.  Get it appraised and make sure your jewelry rider on your home insurance is adequate to cover it, list it specifically with your insurance agent in said rider.  Then wear that gorgeous thing every time you go anywhere that jewelry is appropriate.  Not in the garden, not doing dishes, not if you are going for surgery at the hospital, of course.  I agree with your idea of making it a middle finger ring, that will make it less obviously "bridal" as well.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

To throw a monkey wrench into this, yes I agree you should take the ring to a jeweler, but you may find out the ring is not worth as much as you think it is.  Of course it will still have the sentimental value, you can't put a price on that.I'm mentioning this because I inherited a 3 carat square cut diamond from my MIL and when I took it to a local  jeweler, he told me the diamond was not good quality and was not cut very well. I didn't believe him and had another jeweler in a nearby city look at it, same thing. I guess 70 years ago, the diamond cutters didn't know as much or have the great tools like they do today. I gave the ring to her granddaughter, she should have inherited it in the first place.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always been in love with “dinner rings” .... please wear it & enjoy it 😍

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann lucky you,it sounds like a lovely ring. Diamonds are meant to sparkle!  Let yours sparkle,don't hide it away.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

Have the ring checked by a reputable jeweler and then enjoy wearing it. Those “some days” never seem to arrive. Wear it! And it sounds beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

This can't compare to the ring you own, but still has sentimental value to me:  

Years ago, before my grandmother died, she gave me a beautiful gold bangle with some floral etchings on it.  She told me she bought it with money she earned from her first job (she was 18 at the time) and that she loved it and it represented her feelings of confidence and a feeling of true independence upon starting that job. That was back in the late 1930's.

Since she died, I've worn that bracelet so often...it makes me feel close to her and it makes me happy to look down at it and think of her and all it meant to her. It gives me peace and contentment!

Wear your ring for all those reasons...it needs to be celebrated, not kept in a box or a drawer...and I bet the giver would want it that way for you too!  

Respected Contributor

If you are wondering who is reputable, ask your insurance company who they see used the most for appraisals.  Make sure they are GIA graduates and DO WORK IN HOUSE.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few antique rings and I wear mine whenver I want except if I'm cleaning the house. I agree with your thought of wearing it on another finger might shield it from accidental dings. I've noticed that with some of my rings. I would have it checked by a reputable jewler (maybe even 2) to make sure the setting and prongs are secure. Wear it on whatever finger you want. It's your ring and you should enjoy it.