Honored Contributor

Want your opinion about wearing an antique ring

I was given a very beautiful oval “dinner” ring made of Platinum and set with 3 larger (maybe half carat) diamonds and 15 smaller ones, and 4 tiny sapphires.

I haven‘t worn it very much because I’m always afraid I might damage it, SO-

the thought occurred to me that if I wore it on my middle (tallest) finger it might be a little more protected than on my ring finger. 

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this idea? I have to have it resized no matter what I decide to do.

Honored Contributor

Re: Want your opinion about wearing an antique ring

Why don't you take it to a reputable jeweler and assure that everything is well set and is not going to fall out.  You could have them reinforce the integrity of the ring and wear it whenever and wherever you wish.  What is the good of having it if you are going to put it on cold storage.

Honored Contributor

I have 4 antique rings, 3 passed down in the family.  I wear them a lot.  I cant see leaving them in my jewelry box and not wearing them like my mom did.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

These days, more often than not I wear rings only on my middle finger.  Sometimes I fear the rings I have for my ring finger are just a tad looser than I'm comfortable with.  I feel more comfortable with middle finger rings.  If and when I gain a bit of weight in my ring fingers, I'll go back to wearing them more.

Honored Contributor

Get it insured, then go with finger of choice.  WEAR IT for sure, you can't take it with you.

Respected Contributor

As others have said find a REAL jeweler and get it inspected, prongs fixed, etc and get it appraised so it can be insured and WEAR it!!! Enjoy

Esteemed Contributor

Considering you can't take it with you or none of your immediate family members hasn't asked you for it you should wear it all the time.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Why don't you take it to a reputable jeweler and assure that everything is well set and is not going to fall out.  You could have them reinforce the integrity of the ring and wear it whenever and wherever you wish.  What is the good of having it if you are going to put it on cold storage.

@Nonametoday  ITA. Make sure it’s insured, too. If you like the ring, why keep it in a drawer? Of course, if lost any sentimental value is also lost. That never keeps me from wearing my “good” jewelry. Anyone who left me something intended me to wear and enjoy it...not put it away for special occasions that rarely come.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a beautiful platinum diamond cocktail ring that was passed on from my Grandma to my mom & then to me.It’s worth a fortune.The stone in the middle is a flawless one carat round diamond set in a square setting surrounded by many diamonds.I wear it often .

When my mom gave it to me I had it checked over & sized & insured.Mom said she was giving it to me while she was alive & well because she wanted to see me enjoy it.She asked that I enjoy it & not lock it away in a vault.

Every time I wear it I think of mom.Since I don’t have a daughter I’ll be passing it on to a DIL or a granddaughter some day.

Wear your ring & enjoy it in the best of health!!

Honored Contributor

I agree with the crowd on wearing it.  Have it cleaned and checked that the setting is in good shape.  Or you could have the stones made into an enhancer and you could wear it on a chain.  That would eliminate the fear of damage.