Honored Contributor

WHY YOUR CZs ARE REALLY GETTING CLOUDY...YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

[ Edited ]

It's been really getting to me. My Diamonique and other high quality CZs are getting cloudy. Even those I've never worn. So I decided to REALLY investigate. I was able to get information from inside the industry on the chemical formulas, processing and characteristics of CZ and other diamond simulants. I'm only going to address CZ cloudiness here. 

Why are the stones getting cloudy? THEY ARE POROUS. In time, they ABSORB SUBSTANCES from outside of the stone to deep inside the stone. REAL DIAMONDS ARE NOT POROUS. As your stones age they will cloud. If you could keep everything; oxygen, air, soap, water, cleaners and lotion away from the stones..you'd probably be safe from this problem, but you can't, unless you can store your stones in a space devoid of substance (like the vacuum of deep outer space).  

There is a new treatment for CZ that involves coating them in diamond. Since diamond is not porous, that will make the CZ impervious and protect it from clouding.

This knowledge makes me furious. I spent a great deal of my money on jewelry that is changing into something ugly. I was led to believe I should benefit from CZ forever, because they were constantly compared to diamonds. I'm so upset by this. Had I known this, I would never have bought so much. 

Respected Contributor

Re: WHY YOUR CZs ARE REALLY GETTING CLOUDY...YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

[ Edited ]

i have worn diamonique for years and have had no clouding over -  i put my hands in all kinds of stuff. 

Honored Contributor

I have a few CZ pieces and some have become cloudy over time,  while others haven't. Depends on the brand I have found.

Honored Contributor

Mean no disrespect to Diamonique or CZ's. Never understood, The hoopla surrounding this man made crystal. Realize people are trying create effect of diamonds or gem stones. Have yet, Experience any with the quality of the stone trying to replicate. Yet! Prices are not inexpensive. Do own one pair of Diamonique stud earrings. Years ago Taciore presented line on Qvc purchased stunning pair! Indeed, Setting magnificent. Think I paid 69.00 though that wasn't cheap it was worth the price. Sadly, Lost one. No longer able to purchase. Watching Diamonique now, To my eye isn't even close to what was offered by Qvc in the beginning. Once when living close Beverly Hills high end jewerly store sold vintage and such low behold there was Kathy Levine heart ring set in gold! Looked closely yes! Looked like a diamond. Quailty outstanding!! Gold solid. Wonder how many ladies still own Kathy's ring? Qvc offered white gold and silver.
Respected Contributor

I have a lot of DMQ that I bought years ago, including Kathy's ring. None of it is cloudy. All pieces look as nice as the day I received them. OP, I'm sorry your CZ has become cloudy.

Respected Contributor

I don't know where your items came from, but all the pieces I have bought in past years from QVC are still beautiful. Some are 25 years old. Diamonique is on the hardness scale  very close to a diamond so not sure I understand how these could be getting cloudy. 

I will continue to buy Diamonique because it's a great value, and all the dollars through the years I have saved are still sitting in my retirement fund.! 

Respected Contributor

I have lots of diamonique and it does need to be cleaned.  I can deal with that.  

I prefer the cz.  Am fed up with high priced diamonds. You worry that the stone will be switched if the item needs repair or you agonize if the stone is lost.

Esteemed Contributor

My Diamonique from 20+ years is still very shiny, no clouding.

Not all CZs are equal, some are terrible quality.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D

You might want to send in the D stones for replacement since they are guaranteed?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Mindy D

You might want to send in the D stones for replacement since they are guaranteed?

Excellent! Suggestion. Totally forgot! Qvc offers lifetime warrenty. Do agree, Diamonds are over priced! Debeers owns the market. Diamonds are NOT rare. Most come way of people killed.