Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 39,090
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?

I usually wear a bold earring because I can't wear necklaces.   Since the wearing of masks for the past year, I've just skipped earrings altogether.  Haven't bought any in ages.

 

So, I've changed my mind .... and am looking at studs and smaller earrings that are unlikely to come off with putting on and removing masks .... and am shocked at the SHIPPING costs ....  what the heck?

 

Specifically, yesterday I saw earrings on sale on ShopHQ for $30  ..... with a $8.99 shipping fee.   Yikes!

 

Yesterday on QVC I saw a pair for $70 with a $5.50 shipping fee .... and another pair for $68, shipping is $3.50.

 

Today, it seems to be the first thing I look at .... shipping.

 

What's the reason for the variance in prices?   Is there a "legitimate" reason for these shipping prices? 

 

What's your take on this?

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,460
Registered: ‎05-12-2012

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?

i just paid over $10 shipping for a small crossbody bag....wouldn't have ordered it....but it's a graduation gift for my special granddaughter....

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,009
Registered: ‎10-03-2014

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?

[ Edited ]

You asked if there was a "legitimate" reason for shipping differences.

 

I can't say anything is legitimate about retailers' pricing. 

 

I see it as a game.  Will the retailer win or will the customer?  It's up to us to sharpen our shopping skills and pay attention to things like you noted.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,386
Registered: ‎05-02-2017

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?

 

 

People often forget that shipping charges from the shopping channels also usually include insurance.

 

If you purchase insurance separately it can be quite costly.  All Shop HQ items that cost over a certain amount are sent without prepaid return labels.  It is up to the buyer to pay to return and insure the item, and expensive items can run up the postage bill.

 

Additionally some items are shipped from manufacturers and they may not have as low of a cost for shipping as the shopping channel.

 

You can wait for free shipping days or go to a brick and mortar store.  I find most of the shipping charges insignificant in the long run compared to the convenience of receiving items directly at my door.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 39,090
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?


@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

 

 

People often forget that shipping charges from the shopping channels also usually include insurance.

 

If you purchase insurance separately it can be quite costly.  All Shop HQ items that cost over a certain amount are sent without prepaid return labels.  It is up to the buyer to pay to return and insure the item, and expensive items can run up the postage bill.

 

Additionally some items are shipped from manufacturers and they may not have as low of a cost for shipping as the shopping channel.

 

You can wait for free shipping days or go to a brick and mortar store.  I find most of the shipping charges insignificant in the long run compared to the convenience of receiving items directly at my door.


 

@FancyPhillyshopper 

 

I agree with your comments, but I do think some retailers take advantage .....  ShopHQ charges $8.99 for a 27 dollar pair of earrings that weighed ... what? ... two ounces?  Insurance probably not needed for that sale.  In some instances, just a tracking bar code does the trick for shipping.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 32,820
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I usually wear a bold earring because I can't wear necklaces.   Since the wearing of masks for the past year, I've just skipped earrings altogether.  Haven't bought any in ages.

 

So, I've changed my mind .... and am looking at studs and smaller earrings that are unlikely to come off with putting on and removing masks .... and am shocked at the SHIPPING costs ....  what the heck?

 

Specifically, yesterday I saw earrings on sale on ShopHQ for $30  ..... with a $8.99 shipping fee.   Yikes!

 

Yesterday on QVC I saw a pair for $70 with a $5.50 shipping fee .... and another pair for $68, shipping is $3.50.

 

Today, it seems to be the first thing I look at .... shipping.

 

What's the reason for the variance in prices?   Is there a "legitimate" reason for these shipping prices? 

 

What's your take on this?


 

 

@Tinkrbl44   I don't shop SHOPHQ, so no opinion there. As far as Q is concerned, I've ordered jeans w/ $5.50 shipping and earrings in a tiny box and weight "nothing"  for $5.50. Insurance? Handling? I think the shipping is ridiculous. Other sites have free shipping and unless there's something I really love, I shop on free ship sites.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,335
Registered: ‎09-08-2010

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?

I felt the same way, went on JTV.com and bought some absolutely gorgeous (and well made) studs, and small earrings for great prices, and mostly free shipping. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 32,820
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: WHAT'S WITH SHIPPING PRICES FOR EARRINGS?


@nana59 wrote:

i just paid over $10 shipping for a small crossbody bag....wouldn't have ordered it....but it's a graduation gift for my special granddaughter....


 

@nana59   I've paid $12.50 shipping (!) for a DB bag years ago...It was too heavy and had to return it. There went $25 and I had nothing to show for it. I always figure return shipping when purchasing. Sizes are not consistent and sometimes items are not described properly and could cost $5.50 doubled just to try it. Crazy!!!