Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF Moissanite?

@CalminHeart wrote:

I love moissanite.  It's a world better than CZ. I can spot CZ a mile away as it's flat, glassy looking.  I've never seen a CZ that wasn't that way.  I even prefer moissanite over diamonds because I can get a better looking stone.  My first moissanite is at least 15 years old and you'd never know it. Some people say it has a yellow or green tint.  None of mine do, not even the oldest pieces.   

Evine had a Moissanite show on yesterday, lovely pieces, but out of my budget.  They have a warranty on their pieces, and it was stated the moissanite will not dull or yellow.  They were lovely.

Honored Contributor

thanks everyone for your feedback....I will be trying out some  earring studs inthe future.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624I agree  that it's lab created.  Also, the creators still own the patent.  That adds to its cost in jewelry. 

Then there's the cost of the settings -  it seems to me a huge percentage of CZ's while they are often set in gold and silver are not necessarily set in heavy gold and silver.  Lots of Moissanite I've seen has been beautifully set --  and there's the price.

I haven't researched when the patent comes to an end, but I do wonder if when it does end whether we'll see the price for the gems themselves go down.  Of course, if the price of gold stayts where it is or goes up, good settings will still cost.

The patent expired in the United States last year - Aug. 2015.  It expires in most of Europe and Asia and also Canada in various months of this year, 2016.

I've seen both very beautiful and quite ugly moissanite stones.  As with diamonds the beauty mostly depends on the quality of the cut.  Poorly cut stones have an ugly "nail head effect" look to them in the center. Quality control in the cutting seems to be lacking by Charles and Colvard in recent years.  

I have lovely 1CT TW studs and a 5 stone band graduating from .25ct to .50 that I wear often and love. Both these items are several years old.  I've purchased larger stones that were horrid (poor cut) that I've returned.  I also have two others (still unset) I've owned awhile now in the 1.25 to 1.50 range that are stunning. I do still hope to do something with one or both of these some day.

Cost is a fraction of my diamond wedding rings but way more than any CZ of course.  I had some of those too set in gold that I've since sold. There is no comparison.  

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

It's no different than cz, a lab created diamond simulant.  They attach a starry fairytale to it and charge exhorbitant prices.  I would never buy it but I'm okay if others do.