Honored Contributor

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF Moissanite?

It seems expensive for a lab created stone...just not sure.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF Moissanite?

I really, really love it. I honestly like it better than diamonds. Really! It's completely different from CZ....which I don't consider to be in the same category. I have many pieces.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I don't believe it is lab-created. There may be lab-created the same way there are CZs but there is a "real" stone.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was a real stone from a meteor.  Maybe they took that and then created the lab version of the stone?  I always get it confused.  I know there's some kind of difference between it and the Fire.

But yes, it's expensive.

Honored Contributor

@blondegirl wrote:

I don't believe it is lab-created. There may be lab-created the same way there are CZs but there is a "real" stone.

It is definitely lab created by a patented process.  You can read about it on the Charles & Covard website.  They are the manufacturers and hold the patent.

It's a beautiful stone, as or more sparkly than a diamond.  It makes Diamonique look sick.  I have a ring with multiple stones and always get tons of compliments when I wear it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624I agree  that it's lab created.  Also, the creators still own the patent.  That adds to its cost in jewelry. 

Then there's the cost of the settings -  it seems to me a huge percentage of CZ's while they are often set in gold and silver are not necessarily set in heavy gold and silver.  Lots of Moissanite I've seen has been beautifully set --  and there's the price.

I haven't researched when the patent comes to an end, but I do wonder if when it does end whether we'll see the price for the gems themselves go down.  Of course, if the price of gold stayts where it is or goes up, good settings will still cost.

Trusted Contributor

It is a beautiful stone, there is no comparison to a CZ it is so superior.  I have had one for over 15 years now I wear it every day and it is still as beautiful as the day I got it.. It  actually has more sparkle than any of my diamonds, I would imagine because it is flawless.

Honored Contributor

I got one to just say I have one, my husband kept wanting me to get one ($$$) so I did, lowest price I could find, but I'll take CZ's. I can't enjoy something if it's too costly to me. But then, that's me.

Respected Contributor

I like it and think it's worth the money.  If I choose to buy more I will look for the loose Forever Brilliant line of stones.  They are whiter than the older model which can look green/gray in larger stones.

Honored Contributor

I love moissanite.  It's a world better than CZ. I can spot CZ a mile away as it's flat, glassy looking.  I've never seen a CZ that wasn't that way.  I even prefer moissanite over diamonds because I can get a better looking stone.  My first moissanite is at least 15 years old and you'd never know it. Some people say it has a yellow or green tint.  None of mine do, not even the oldest pieces.