Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS. . .. OCTOBER 2017

Hello all,

It's now October.

September flew right by.  Not the easiest month for many. If you'd like to drop in and chat about watches, we're still here. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS. . .. OCTOBER 2017

Howdy!  Just got a new Timex from the Peanuts collection.  I chose Linus.  If there had been a Pigpen I would have bought him.

We need rain where I live (mid-east).  The Timex keeps on ticking, though.  I sure wish it could massage my feet, too!  They need it.

Keep ticking.⚙️

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Hey, Sweetbay magnolia! Thanks for dropping in

A Linus watch sounds very cute.  Pgpen, too. Enjoy your watches.

The Peanuts gang seems to be very popular. (Not that they were ever "unpopular." ) Last year, Coach released a line of handbags featuring Woodstock, Snoopy, etc.

Invicta offers some inexpensive Disney character watches as well; they did a special editon of a Snoopy Lupah.  When it's on sale, it's about $69 and you get 5 interchangeable straps.

Things have been s crazy in our corner of the world, that "keep on ticking" seems to be a great motto! Sometimes that's all we can do.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Java:  thanks for the new thread.  Glad you are busy,  but we miss your posts.

Just saw your post in the Sept thread.   Sorry about your fall.   Hope you have fully recovered.  And be careful when you do all that rushing around.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

LavJ, 

Thanks for your kind thoughts.  I was walking along and it was a Saturday evening and the crowd of people sort of pushed me along. The sidewalk was in an incline. I was wearing a canvas shoe and it caught on a metal "cap" that was embedded in the sidewalk.  I tripped and couldn't stop from falling. People were trying to see if I was Ok and they helped me get up. When you fall like that, it's not only painful, it's humilating. As long as I could walk, I knew I would be OK.  I was banged up on both knees and my typing wrist. was all black. I worred about that most of all, since that's how I make my living--working at a computer.

I went home, elevated my leg and put ice. Was very careful the first two days and put a  bandage to support my knee. I still feel a twinge. At my age, I have twinges in my knees. If it hadn't gotten better, I would gone to get it checked out. I am grateful that it wasn't worse, but I had to watch it. 

Respected Contributor

Java:  I'm glad it wasn't a worse fall.   We have all tripped or tumbled.  As the years progress,  the body doesn't handle these falls as well.  I'm glad you didn't break anything.  Bruises will heal eventually.  Sounds like you know the treatment drill.... rest, ice, elevation.   Getting older is the pits,  but it's better than the alternative they say.

Regular Contributor

Hello to S. Magnolia,  

Java, sorry about that nasty fall.  Takes an older body longer to come back from that.  I tried real hard today myself to fall down, stepped on a large rounded rock and I certainly felt like my ankle went over to meet the pavement.  Thank goodness I recovered before I fell down.  Things happen fast.

Hello to Jazzy also.  

We all gather around, sooner or later.  Merrylass, where are you?  Terri?  Do we all feel like we have more than our share of watches now?  I do.  I'm returning the last two I bought, just can't get into owning more.  Stick a fork in me, I'm done buying.  Now to wear what I have.    I had two good discounts on the SS S. Coifman and the Black and white meteorite Invicta.  Now I know what a meteorite look like, and it was an expensive look see.  I usually don't pull this unless I got free shipping, but not this time.  I just had to see those two watches.  LavJ, they haven't left the house yet.  If Uncle Sam would have been operating today, they would be history.  I hope I get them delivered before I change my mind.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

A short rant and my perspective on watch warranties and watch companies.

As you know,  I have a lot of watches.  And over time I've collected watches from many brands.   I understand that there is a certain failure rate on watches,  especially quartz watches.   So the more you own,  like I do,  the higher the probability is that one of more of my watches will need the movement replaced.   So let's talk about my experiences.

I've concluded that in general,  if a watch was relatively inexpensive,  it doesn't even make sense to send it in for warranty service.   By the time you pay for shipping to the repair center and their S&H and insurance to get the watch back (which is usually around $25-30),  it doesn't make sense to make the investment in a watch you only paid $100 for.   But what about more expensive watches.

Some companies,  even those that make fine Swiss watches have a relatively short warranty period (1-2 years).  Chances are you won't even need the warranty during that time period.  I've had several watches (company M) fail a short time after the warranty expired.

Service on the movement is expensive outside the warranty period.

Other companies,  have a longer warranty,  or did in the past,  BUT,  if you have your battery changed by anyone other than their service center,  they void the warranty.  I have just encountered this with a watch that was still under the warranty from company I.   They want over $150 to repair it and say the warranty is void because the battery had been changed by a watchmaker who isn't authorized by them.   So,  in practical terms this means that their warranty is useless because I am not going to mail every watch I own (many, many, many) and pay for shipping and insurance both ways to have my batteries changes.   Needless to say,  I will not be buying any more of their watches.  BTW,  the watch I just sent in cost me $14 to mail to their service center and $30 for their S&H to return the watch to me.  And the watch I sent in had been worn only 3 times over several years, the white leather strap was in perfect practically factory new condition, and the battery had been changed by a watchmaker who is skilled enough to repair Rolex automatic movements.

Now let's talk about good warranty service.   Company R,  which is no longer in business, unfortunately,  protected their warranty when they sold their business.   I sent in a watch for warranty repair,recently,  it was handled quickly and with out problem.  Overall cost to me for shipment and insurance both ways,  less than $30 total.

I also own many, many, many watches from company C.  Without question they have serviced every watch that needed repair under their lifetime warranty.  Their watches have had no more failures than any other watch brand I have owned.   And because of their customer service policies I have no concerns about expanding my collection of C watches.  No,  they are not a fashion brand, nor are they a designer brand.   But the watches I have gotten over the years are classic and high quality,  with a few fun pieces thrown into the mix.   And I have every confidence that they will help keep these watches running for a lifetime.

Those who collect watches probably have figured out the names of the companies.   I won't spell them out in a public forum.  

Regular Contributor

Well LavJ too bad we didn't know then what we know now.  Even though I own a ton also, I only have one sitting because I messed up an automatic black IP petite Renato.  I'm letting it sit because I don't want to go through the hassle.  Other than that I have been lucky.  So I've stopped buying (again) and thank goodness I got my last package out of here before I changed my mind.  Months ago, I would have kept them both.  

I looked through my collection for those "M's" and I have a few.  But I don't recall you buying any.  Must be another M.  I decided that we had great taste and now I am going to enjoy what I have.  Just keeping the batteries going is my problem.  I certainly don't want movement problems also.  But I understand your rant.  Bummer.

Respected Contributor

The only 'good' to come out of this is that I won't be buying many more watches.... and I won't be wasting my time watching many more watch shows.

It's not that the particular watch is so treasured,  although I do like it.   And it's not that the movement needing replacement is such a terrible thing.   But to have a company walk away from it's warranty and customer service responsibilities on a technicality.... that shows the true nature of the business we are dealing with.  I could understand if the watch were abused,  or the inside was obviously damaged or manhandled.   But this watch was pristine.   Just shows that watch warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on for many companies.