Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS...... OCTOBER 2016

The Ocean Ghost 38mm/47mm will probably be the TSV for tomorrow (Thursday.) It looks like it ; it's in the first position  in the 11pm show.

They are bringing out a Baby Lupah in abalone. That probably will be about $50.

For those who love an abalone dial and don't want either a subaqua or a baby Lupah, Victoria Weick has an abalone  watch offering. That watch seems to be about 38mm. The description on HSN says it is water resistant. It's only $59.99 and comes in rose tone or gold tone.

Respected Contributor

Java:  I looked at the Ocean Ghost.  It's nice looking and I like the mop dial.... but it's nothing special when you look at the specs.  Why is there excitement over the OG?

Respected Contributor

I don't think you ever had an OG. The original is 47mm.  They have made a few Ocean Ghosts with automatic movements in the past. None were in the smaller size.  It was a very comfortable watch and just about anyone could wear. Among Invicta "collectors," it is a favorite for its design and durability. It is usually very affordable. There are people who collect all different variations. 

I had two and gave them away as gifts. 

The smaller size is special because they have never made an automatic Ocean Ghost with a 38mm. And not with MOP.  I saw Ryan's picture. Not bad.

. It's not a Baby Lupah, Grand Diver or Pro Diver. And it has 10 ATM. This isn't dumbed down to 5ATM. Though it's an inexpensive TSV, it might have a little more going for it than a woody Pro Diver or a Baby Lupah with strap. Or a dumbed down Scuba. 

That dive box is a no.  Who knows about the price?

Since I don't know who checks this thread, I know there may be those who might be interested in a 38mm OG.

Respected Contributor

I actually like the Excalibur. They reduced it back to $135--just in case anyone out there was wanting one.

There is another Subaqua I in on a strap. I dont' see anything really different. The Ocean Ghost was a big deal.

Which is kind of sad when one thinks about Bolt Zeus' Venoms and SANvs. Last year we had the beautfiul abalone SANIs on a bracelet. I did like the Russian Diver square and maybe there will be a Once Only on that. It is different.  But there's nothing I am going to break my neck to get.

Respected Contributor

Java:  thanks for your insights on the OG.

Respected Contributor

It was a long night, LOL. Up late working on projects and these days I am sleep-deprived and thoughts don't exactly flow as I'd like.

I miss some of the female Geeks who would have been excitted. They are no longer around. So when I look at the OG, it is kind of sad. I almost feel thsi need to push that one. Since they can't. DJF owns one of mine. It was an 8216 Miyota.

Anyway, we will soon have a time change.We turn back the clocks November 6. That means two things: looking over our collections and taking stock and watch sales.  There will be other watch shows on evine. Some of these are gift shows. It looks like a change in format.

Something else to think about:

This change in policy by the Swiss Federation may result in sales of not-quite Swiss at good prices. Remember any stock that is marked Swiss Made that fails to meet the guidelines by January 2019,  will have to be destroyed. You might see a lot of great sales in the future.

Respected Contributor

If you want to check out cool timepieces of high-quality, check out some of the Lamborghini watches.

Very unusual shaped cases.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of shows from 10/20-10/23 Please check listings because there have been schedule changes.

I was going to post the whole list, but thought it too blatant.

Trusted Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

I don't think you ever had an OG. The original is 47mm.  They have made a few Ocean Ghosts with automatic movements in the past. None were in the smaller size.  It was a very comfortable watch and just about anyone could wear. Among Invicta "collectors," it is a favorite for its design and durability. It is usually very affordable. There are people who collect all different variations. 

I had two and gave them away as gifts. 

The smaller size is special because they have never made an automatic Ocean Ghost with a 38mm. And not with MOP.  I saw Ryan's picture. Not bad.

. It's not a Baby Lupah, Grand Diver or Pro Diver. And it has 10 ATM. This isn't dumbed down to 5ATM. Though it's an inexpensive TSV, it might have a little more going for it than a woody Pro Diver or a Baby Lupah with strap. Or a dumbed down Scuba. 

That dive box is a no.  Who knows about the price?

Since I don't know who checks this thread, I know there may be those who might be interested in a 38mm OG.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ocean Ghost, @JavaQueen. The 38mm is appealing because I have always liked the looks of that watch. I wish it didn't have that dive box though. That might be a dealbreaker. I'll have to think about it.

Once again, the SAN I has a Chinese movement and their holiday sale price is almost $200. I like it, but I don't like it that much.

Respected Contributor

It's open at $109. LOL.