Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS---OCTOBER 2014

Hi all...just want to amend my comments about the bronzo watch. I was impressed when I looked i,t but I tried to wear it today and my skin instantly got irritated (must be sensitive to one of the ingredients) and I also noticed the color isn't what I thought it was. In natural light it wasn't to my liking at all! back it will have to go. I just liked the size and shape of that watch so much I wanted it to work...live and learn!

Respected Contributor

Mine landed today---but in Pittsburgh. Sheesh. Must have clicked on the wrong address in my address book. Got the call today asking if I had ordered a watch. LOL.

He said it looked OK and unworn.

equss. So sorry about the watch. I guess you get what you pay for. Or if one doesn't know what to expect, they love it. If you're fussy or you know a little more about how it really should look, then it doesn't work for you. The bronzo thing is what made that a NO in my book and then I thought it wasn't water resistant. (It is ) Lack of water resistance is another thing that will make me scratch a watch off my list.

And people think 100 feet water resistance means that they can dive. No. It only means that your watch has a better chance of standing up to careful, normal wear. So no showers or baths, but rain OK. Or splashes from washing hands.

(Every so often I put this reminder for lurkers.)

Trusted Contributor

So true Java. I know better and held off on that watch a very long time...don't know why I continue to be a sucker for fashion watches! Even was intriqued by an ecclissi but didn't bite thank goodness! I don't know why the Q never gives specs but I suppose it is because they just do not carry fine watches (although I have seen some $$$gold watches that do not even list specs).

I continue to like Burberry which is probably somewhere between fashion and fine. They wear well are swiss made, 5atm and sapphire crystal. The other brands that never disappoint me are Michele and Invicta. I know my collection is much smaller than most writers on this forum and I seem to be a slow learner but having fun none the less...just hate those return fees!

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

equss: we have all learned from each other on the Watch Collectors thread. And we've all bought watches we liked and then discovered they weren't what we wanted or they just didn't measure up. Nothing wrong with fashion watches, as long as you know what you are getting and don't pay too much for them. Really good watches with great specs are better... if we can find them at the right sale price. Smile Sorry your watch was a disappointment, but at least you found out early and can return it. And with Q you get your S&H back. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Watch disappointments when you order from some other places end up costing you more money when you don't get the S&H returned.

Respected Contributor

Hi all...

Hope you all had a great day. Found out that Invicta will be offering a 38 and 45mm Swiss Made Speedway on a stingray strap. It won't be cheap, but cheaper than that tanzanite Speedway. I think also they will have visible gears, so at least it's an interesting. piece no pics on shop.

Had to search for it in the catalog. Oh, and they will offer it with (drum roll) an 8-slot dive case.

Frequent Contributor

Hi ladies.

Enjoying my birthday weekend, but it's cold here today! Low 40's, brrr. I'm staying inside. I broke down and put the heat on a little as it was 62 in the house and I was freezing.

WOTD yesterday for my dinner out was the Renato 2ct diamond beauty. It hadn't been worn in a long time.

I continue to look at the watch shows when they are on, but nothing so far has been a must have.

Respected Contributor

Hi Jazzy. Nice to 'see' you again. Glad you were able to give that 2 ct Renato some wrist time. Hope you had a very happy birthday and hope it's the start of a wonderful year.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

ValuSkr: welcome to the Watch Collectors thread. Yes, it seems we do buy a lot of watches on Shop, but we also buy a lot of watches from a variety of other places. Shop has a very large watch selection and also their web site gives a lot of specifics about the watches. By reading the descriptions, watching the programs, comparing prices to other sites, and discussing things here.... we try to find watches we like, at really good prices.

In deciding on whether the price is good, we look not only at the price, any sales, but also at the components of the watch. It really makes a difference in terms of the value when you look at the movement, the water resistance level, the case and bracelet/band material, etc. Sometimes you have to pay a little more to get what you want.

And sometimes you just love a watch and know it doesn't really measure it, but you want it anyway. Most fashion watches fall into this category.... over priced for the quality of the components. But even fashion watches have a place in your watch wardrobe.

We try to help each other make informed decisions. Everyone has different taste and different budgets. If there is any watch you want our opinion about, just post and we will try to help. Or just post to discuss a new 'treasure' you have just gotten or are lusting after. Our watch collectors thread has survived over many years because we welcome new posters to our group.

Thanks to you and JavaQueen for your thorough and interesting replies. I don't really collect watches but have been intrigued by the programming on Shop.

Respected Contributor

ValuSkr: hope you continue to enjoy our threads and join in when ever you like.

Respected Contributor

Hey ~ Just wanted to post this when I saw your thread. For anyone who likes "small" watches, here is a very nice one from Invicta at SHOP. Item # 622-862. It's the Invicta Angel Mini. I have it in Black and the White. It is on sale right now for $46.87 with 6 easy pays. It is tiny, but still readable, and is great paired with bracelets.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey