Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS---NOVEMBER 2014

anisha: that Tanzanite watch is lovely... at least from the pics I've seen. Now I have to go check it out again. What are you going to do with the 2nd one? I love the look of the new Ripka ceramic watch. Please let us know what you think when you get it.

Respected Contributor

Java: just more things to add to the 'quality' gripe list... end links, movements, crystals, water resistance. Corners being cut all over the place. I can live with some of this if the watch is inexpensive, but for bigger bucks, I want better.

I read an article in the NYT recently about women and watches. Seems the industry has decided we want function, but we want it to look pretty.... so they add flowers and butterflies and gems. Even the very expensive brands are making ladies watches that look like flowers or have other ornamentation, heart shaped tourbions. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Moon phase watches are also big with the ladies, it seems. Apparently some feel that hair cut during certain lunar cycles will grow faster or the style will last longer if you time it right. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor

Anyone getting the TTV?

Trusted Contributor

On 11/9/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

Java: just more things to add to the 'quality' gripe list... end links, movements, crystals, water resistance. Corners being cut all over the place. I can live with some of this if the watch is inexpensive, but for bigger bucks, I want better.

I read an article in the NYT recently about women and watches. Seems the industry has decided we want function, but we want it to look pretty.... so they add flowers and butterflies and gems. Even the very expensive brands are making ladies watches that look like flowers or have other ornamentation, heart shaped tourbions. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Moon phase watches are also big with the ladies, it seems. Apparently some feel that hair cut during certain lunar cycles will grow faster or the style will last longer if you time it right. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Oh god help us! Despite my recent Android Star Halo purchases, I don't go for girly watches. NO hearts and flowers, PLEASE! There are so many men's watch designs that I like so much more than the women's and I would buy them if they weren't so freaking big. I can handle up to about 45mm, but a lot of the really cool men's watches are 47 - 52mm and I just can't go that big. So, just because we don't want to wear a 1 pound saucer on our wrists, they think all we want is dinky watches with hearts and flowers? Good grief. Bright colors, gems and sparkly stuff are not just for women--I see plenty of that in the men's styles.

Respected Contributor

On 11/9/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

Anyone getting the TTV?

Nope...the threat of our first freeze meant that it was time pull winter things out of storage.

If I were buying, the red/gunmetal would be my pick.

Anisha: Congrats on your pickups. Hope you like. Fingers crossed for you.

Aprimo: I hear you loud and clear. I don't have too many froufrou pieces myself. I have a few really cool pieces, but they are rather large. What you are saying is what we have been saying for years. However, I think most women buy the traditional, more feminine designs. That's why they are manufactured and they sell.

There are some really lovely pieces out there--they're just not for me. So I leave them for others to enjoy, because we're all different.

Trusted Contributor

Hi lavenderjunkie, I have seen three presentations of the Tanzanite speedway today and I decided to get the all stainless version as well ! I am so bad !!! Better to get the watch now when it is readily available and decide than wanting it later when it sells out and hope for a good return. I am going to give one of the Tanzanite watches to my mom and that way I get to share it with her ! If I like the watches, the other two maybe for me. We'll see. I really liked the a Ripka ceramic watch , it looked really cool. I got the white and all chocolate. I will post back once I get everything which may not be until the 18th ( my current EDD)
Trusted Contributor

Hi JavaQueen, thank you, I hope I like the watches when they arrive. I hate the Shop return policy of not refunding the original S&H. But still had to get the watches to see for myself.
Trusted Contributor

Well anisha, you really made a haul this weekend in watches. I bet that SS Tanzanite will be gorgeous especially. Hopefully you get all in perfect condition. {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

anisha: that Tanz speedway is so tempting. I love the SS one. I think if I knew someone who would love it, I'd go for the Bogo deal. Even buying 1 at the sale price is tempting. I hope you love the watch.

I bought a few of the gemstone bezel watches, I love the look, but I'm not wearing them as much as I thought. That's one of the things keeping me from buying the Tanz. That and the fact that I've been buying too many watches.

I just picked up the 41mm Bolt Gen III that was on sale. I got the GT with the GM dial/cable. Hopefully the 7" bracelet will fit me. Watching the presentations they are fudging on the fit.... some say 7" wrist max, some 7.5" wrist. I think it will work, especially with the micro adjustments in the clasp. But at the sale price, I had to give it a try. I'll keep everyone posted. The GT version is about $100 less than the SS today.

Trusted Contributor

So many great watches! I am really trying not to buy but I do like the new Ripka. At first I was drawn to the all black and brown but after a look second I like the color with silver - so striking. Which do you like LJ? I am trying to decide if I can justify the price. Anisha congrats on all your purchases! I will look forward to the reviews. I saw the tanzanite presented and loved the ss. Hope you get stones with gorgeous color!! Congrats to all and wear your watches in good health. Stay warm. It is 11 degrees at my house heading into negative numbers