Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS---NOVEMBER 2014

Aub. my jeweler certainly does not like the idea of replacing my SL ceramic batteries, hates them but does it. Now the lavender Oniss, I don't recall him saying anything. Maybe he just suked it up and did it without complaining. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Hopefully your platinum Abyss MOP will be awesome. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Jena, this same jeweler has replaced the batteries in my SL Karamicas without any problems, except for complaining about how tiny the screws were, but the Karamica has a metal plate on the case back. This Oniss has no case back at all, just the solid ceramic case with the little screws going into it that apparently hold it to the front of the watch, so it looks like you'd have to disassemble the whole thing just to change the battery.

I'll try taking them both to a place at the mall & see if they will attempt it, I already know the Rolex repair place near me won't, because she sent me to the place I went to today when I tried to get them to size one of my Karamicas. I may check & see how much it costs to send them to Renato & Oniss or if nothing else, try & play with them myself.

Trusted Contributor

Aub, in the past I have dangled a bracelet into real hot water to loosen Loctite. But the back side of a watch I wonder if you put a hair dryer to it, just long enough to maybe loosen the screw(s)? There is always Plan B and sending it in the the MFGR. ....ok, a new day with bright sun and it did a number on my TT Abyss. Last night it was nice, but This morning It's beautiful. The polished YT is gorgeous with the polished SS. What a deal for $69. The SS has a dial that looks more like Meterorite without the lines than the gorgeous platinum MOP. I think I will just exchange it. Comments from anybody??
Respected Contributor

aubnwa: I go to a watchmaker to have my bracelets sized and batteries replaced, as well as to have movements repaired. He's very good. Even he hates to work on most ceramic watches. He has commented that the SL have a ceramic shell over the SS case. When he removes the screws from the back to change the battery, the entire case comes apart and he has to reassemble it. He's good at puzzles and knows what he is doing, but the tolerances are so small that sometimes he has to remove the bracelet in order to get the case put back together. A quick battery change ends up taking a very long time. So I'm not surprised that a jeweler wouldn't be comfortable with most ceramic watches. They don't want to take the risk of breaking something.

As for the Renato, yes, I've run into problems with screws that won't come out... on the bracelets and on the case backs. Check with Renato... you would have to pay shipping, but they might do the battery as a customer service. (I don't know why I think that, but some companies do).

Jena: it's your call on the SS regarding the mop dial. I've seen various platinum mop and they are all different. My SS and TT Abyss have beautiful mop, but my friends GT mop doesn't have the same rainbow. It's pretty, but not colorful. Most of the mop, on my much more expensive Renato watches, isn't very colorful.

Trusted Contributor

LavJ says..... "Check with Renato... you would have to pay shipping, but they might do the battery as a customer service. (I don't know why I think that, but some companies do)". I think that was yesterday, LJ. These days I don't think anyone gives free battery changing, but I could be wrong. With Daniel not being in charge anymore, I don't know what input he has these days. With the beautiful Renato's we own, who would have thought that we needed more watches...?.
Respected Contributor

Hi ladies. Happy Friday.

Jena,

I am glad that you like the Abyss (es). MOP is a funny thing; I like the meteorite look and mine is sort of like that, but when you tilt it to the side, that's when you see the dial awash in delicate pinks and greens. Hard to describe, but I think you know what I mean. Since MOP is a matter of taste, you could always give it and see if they like it. Explain that you would be happy to exchange it for them. (Extended holiday return period.)

Re: free battery changes? Sometimes given to me by Tourneau. They know that I bring a watches in for adjustments and changes, so every once in a while, they throw me a bone. LOL.

Trusted Contributor

JAVA SAID:

Jena,

I am glad that you like the Abyss (es). MOP is a funny thing; I like the meteorite look and mine is sort of like that, but when you tilt it to the side, that's when you see the dial awash in delicate pinks and greens. Hard to describe, but I think you know what I mean. Since MOP is a matter of taste, you could always give it and see if they like it. Explain that you would be happy to exchange it for them. (Extended holiday return period.)

Re: free battery changes? Sometimes given to me

..........except for the fact Java, I would feel so quilty having them accept a ho hum MOP when it could be spectacular like mine. So It's going back and the sooner the better I suppose.
Respected Contributor

MOP can be tricky. And really, on more expensive watches it doesn't tend to be as colorful.

Hope the next is a winner. Just wish they weren't stingy with the shipping charges on returns. What a lucky recipient to get one of these Abyss (es)! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}Tonight at midnight is the launch of the Dooney TSV. Whether I am in the market for a new bag or not, I always love watching handbag shows.

(Know it isn't watch-related, but I am sure there are watch lovers who also love bags!

Trusted Contributor

On 11/14/2014 JavaQueen said:

MOP can be tricky. And really, on more expensive watches it doesn't tend to be as colorful.

Hope the next is a winner. Just wish they weren't stingy with the shipping charges on returns. What a lucky recipient to get one of these Abyss (es)! Smiley Happy

Still waiting for my Abysses. The tracking shows them at the UPS hub in the Houston area this afternoon. However, with this c r a p p y UPS SurePost (or whatever they call it), they will probably take another two days to get to me and who knows if UPS will transfer to the PO on the weekend. It may be Tuesday before I get them! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

I guess I have been lucky with MOP. I have a couple of Androids and three SL Karamicas with MOP and they are all spectacular. Hope I will have the same luck with the Abyss(es).