Regular Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS .... MAY 2017

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody.  I finally relented and choose another ID.  It would not let me in till I did.  When I put in jenagal, they said someone already had that nickname.  OH REALLY?  Disgusting.  Now I suppose I start out with post #1.  Grrrr.   Anyway, go with the flow.

I've been busy and not keeping up in here.  I bet I stayed away from buying another watch too.  LOl.

LavJ, it will be interesting how you manage your free warranty.  I wish you luck.  I've chosen to put up with what needs a new movement.  I'm afraid if I send it in, I will never see it again.  Because it's not the only watch I Have and depend on it keeping it time, I live with it.  My 30mm?  black  IP Renato with red stones for hour markers and it's an automatic.  Also A story you won't believe.  A watch that has a purple carbon faced SS Renato that lost time for over two years.  I kept resetting it every so often.  This went on I know for two years.  I have a white leather strap on it and find it quite attractive.  I didn't want to chance sending that in so I put up with it.  Surprise surprise, one day the watch decided to run correctly and has kept perfect time.  I can't believe it yet.  So I've never sent a watch in to Renato,on that lifelong warranty we paid for once they changed hands.  So I will be watching LJ what happens to you.

Respected Contributor

I just had QVC on & muted awhile ago & glanced up & saw Michael Davis repping for Casio G-Shock watches.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

aubnwa:  that's very interesting.  G shock on QVC!  and Michael Davis repping?   I'll have to see if I can find some video.  Just watched one of the presentations.  Wish I had caught more of the show.  I wonder if we will see a lot more of Michael.  I've enjoyed his watch presentations over the years.

Jena:  I'll do some research and make some calls before I send the watch in.  I love the white mop dial on that particular watch.  My watchmaker says it's not worth fixing because the cost of a new movement is high,  even tho it's a plastic ETA G15 movement.  OK,  he's a purist when it comes to movements.   I have 3 alternatives:  pay him to replace the movement,  pay him to swap the movement from a Renato I don't like as much, or send it in to Renato (new company) to fix.   I'll let you all know what I find out when I do some investigation.   Glad your watch 'recovered' !

Respected Contributor

Michael Davis on the Q was a one-shot deal. He appered as a favor to the folks at Casio.

Respected Contributor

LavJ

I am so sorry to hear about your Renato. These weren't cheap watches, after all.luck with t How old was teh watch? Did it last 10 years at least? Certain watch enthusiass always criticized teh use of the G10 and the G16 because of the plastic parts. I guess you weigh the cost against how much you love a watch. That's when it's worth it.  

Good luck with the repair.

Respected Contributor

I never thought  I would see a Judith Rupka watch in sold gold with damonds. Swiss movement, too. Unfortunately, I don't know about the water resistance.

Respected Contributor

I had some dead batteries replaced in some watches today & among them were 2 of my SL Karamicas.  I've had battery changes in all of my Karamicas over the years & I've heard the jeweler complain about all the many screws in the caseback, but today, the guy complained about having to take the bracelet off to access the caseback to get it off!  In all this time, no one else has said a word about this & I've had most of the battery changes done at this same jeweler.  It took him a couple of hours to change out the 6 dead batteries I brought & most of it was for the Karamicas.  He finally had the store owner finish them up & the owner is who has always done the batteries on the watches I've brought in, so I'm not sure if this guy just didn't know what he was doing or if the owner just never mentioned having to take the watch apart to put in a new battery.  Has anyone else heard of this?

Regular Contributor

Aub, My jeweler complains about all the sc*rews but never ever mentioned having to remove the bracelet.  I don't think they ever have.  Just the scre*ws.  

Respected Contributor

Java:  I have to dig out my paperwork to see when I bought that Renato.  No it wasn't cheap.  I think the fact that it had a lifetime warranty combined with a Swiss movement made it seem ok to buy.  And, most people don't investigate exactly what movement is inside their watches.   If a company says Swiss movement,  we think it's a quality movement.  Of course,  as we get more experienced,  and smarter,  we know that's not true.   But I remember thinking... so what if the movement isn't repairable,  just replaceable... with a lifetime warranty what's the problem.   And the cost of getting a jewelry to repair a movement is probably just as high as replacing a lower end movement.   What I didn't understand then was that the lower end movements didn't last as long.   I've had watches for decades that still ran,  so a movement breaking down wasn't in my experience.  Live and learn.

Respected Contributor

Aubnwa:  my watchmaker complains about the Karamicas.  He's a very handy guy and is skilled in repairing complex mechanical movements,  so he knows what he's doing.  Apparantly it's not obvious what the best way to replace the battery is in the Karamica.   The ceramic case is an overlay over a metal case,  so there are lots of piece parts.  I know sometimes he figures it out immediately,  and other times he gets very frustrated.  Once he took the bracelet off and the entire case apart.  But then he figured out a much quicker way to approach it.