Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS MAY 2017

For anyone who is interested....new SAN III in gunmetal with abalone dial in the 5/14 Sunday morning 1 am show.

It's showing at regular price,  so my guess is they will discount it for the show.

Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS .... MAY 2017

Dear JavaQueen,

I am not a watch collector and love the PS you have in mind. I just needed an everything watch and for once in my life I found it in Amazon at an incredible price with special financing. It is a Fendy Crazy Carats made in Switzerland with Italian flavor, lots of fun to wear, you can change the colors of the "numbers" according to your mood, your outfit or leave them all as a rainbow.🌻

Respected Contributor

Chip:  Welcome to the watch colletors thread.  Things have been very quiet here lately.  I'm glad you found a watch you love.   Enjoy wearing it.  And come back to post when ever you want to talk about watches.

Respected Contributor

Anyone tempted by the 33mm S Coifman automatic that's a TDO from last night or the Subaqua Speciality at a bargain price?  I'm sitting on my hands.  I have enough.

Esteemed Contributor

Bought more Timex!  Call me gauche.  I have 7 on the bathroom counter, ticking madly away.  Fun watches, though.  Iconic in their own way.

I work a job that requires a uniform, so the watch is a way to express myself.  Never had any boss object to a timepiece.

I would like a nice pocket watch, if anyone knows of a good one.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have been very busy!  I think i have another dental issue popping up, so thought s are not on watches.

The SAS is lovely. I saw it. Not in the market for a watch right now. Here's my thoughts: it's just a nicely built Japanese made watch. Still a great price for the design, etc. But not a fantastic bargain when you consider that they  are not Swiss.  It's what it should be. It doesn't have the exact same movement as the RD abalone, but it is similar. It is not same as the 5040D made by Ronda. In other words, I think it has the sweeping hand going all the time. And of course, since these are women's watches, they gloss over that. It's important because you might want to conserve the battery. When it's the 5040 D, that sweeping hand is a chrono and you can stop and extend the life of your battery. I didn't care so much about the RD being that way, because the battery can be changed easily.. When you get into Subaqua's, it's better to take to a skilled jeweler.  LavJ, I know you have someone who is very good, but just putting that out there for others. I really like that watch and if I were able, I would probab;ly get it.

The Coifman is special because it is Swiss and it has a Swiss automatic movement. Clearly a find if you are in the market.   Swiss Made is becoming really rare and as for Swiss Made auto movements, rarer still.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Sweetbay! 

No, you're not gauche!!  Buy what you like. If you're into snapping  pics, ti would be wonderful if you would share some of your finds. Smiley Happy

As for the pocket watch, they tend to really big--like 50mm. It all depends on the type of theme you're looking for. I have seen everything from Mickey Mouse to skulls to flowers. Some people even collect railroad watches (vintage.) I think Betsy Johnson made whimsical pocket watches. I have to look. That's one type of watch I don't have. 

In general, they are meant for men, but if you can find one that you like, you can certainly style it to suit you. I have worn men's watches for over 20 years now. (I do wear women's watches also.)

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I have seen them for $60 and I have seen them price at over a thousand.

You might want to check out evine, things remembered. You can get get a good idea. Happy Hunting. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Java:  I agree with your assessment about the S Coifman and the SAS.  If the SC was a few mm larger,  I would have bought it (or maybe both colors).  Swiss made and automatic,  classic design... beautiful mop... I was half way to whipping out my credit card.  Only the 33 mm sized saved me from buying another watch,  or 2.

As for the SAS,  love the look,  especially in the GT.   But I have a white leather strap GT SAN III so I gave my self a stern talking to.  LJ,  you don't need this watch,  it's not Swiss,  why are you buying it?  

The fact that my condo is facing a very large capital expense and my common charges will probably almost double is putting a damper on my ability (and desire) to spend money on these discretionary items.  Smiley Sad   It was fun while it lasted.

Respected Contributor

Sweetbay:  as long as you are enjoying your watches,  then then you can collect what ever you want.   Everyone has different decision criteria for their watches.   Buy what makes you happy.  We love talking about watches... all watches.

Respected Contributor

Has anyone sent a watch to Renato for warranty service in the recent past?   My watchmaker says the movement of one of my Wildebeast needs to be replaced.