Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS .... MAY 2017

[ Edited ]

It's May! 

A warm welcome to our Watch Collectors thread.

May is a wonderful month and it's also the beginning of what I like to call  "watch hunting season."

It's a great time to see the newest trends in watches or pick up a great deal for Mother's and Father's Day gifts. Or college grads. Or just because , 

We may have smartphones and smartwatches and computer clocks, but we still have of watches.

So come on in if you have questions about a watch or want to tell us about a watch that you've  added to your collection.

Of course, if you just want to pop in and say Hi, that's fine too!

I saw this Philip Stein watch that I really like. It's out of my price range but I really like this. It's offered on the Q. Such a clean, classic look. 

J334883

Nice mid-size for women. 5 ATM and it's interchangeable.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS MAY 2017

That is a pretty watch, @JavaQueen.

I've recently read an article - I think it was in the New Yorker, about watch collecting.  Or the collection of timepieces, worn on the wrist.  Got me thinking.

I just bought four Timex watches.  Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking!  They all have "Indiglo".  Love that.

I now notice watches - I am in retail and I see some nice things.  When it is appropriate, I'll ask about them.  Just saw a nice Cross, and another very sculptural black time piece - but after the mention of his 12,000 square foot home, the watch wasn't center stage.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Good morning, sweetbay magnoia!

A warm welcome!

Wasn't that a great commercial?

Who hasn't purchased a Timex? I always had one when I was young as a casual watch; my mom gave me her Bulova at the ripe old age of 6.

They were always a great budget-friendly watch and more recently, they began making more expensive pieces.  I always perferred their classic three-hand designs.

Thanks for sharing the New Yorker story. I'll hunt it up and see if I can't find the link.

Have a great day!

Esteemed Contributor

@JavaQueen, the article is in the March 20th edition of TNY.  It's called "Time Out", by Gary Shteyngart.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Sweetbay magnolia:  welcome to the watch collectors thread and thanks for the info on the article.  Please continue to join us to chat about watches and enjoy your new purchases.

Java:  thanks for starting our May thread and for the watch show info.  Just when I think my credit cards are safe... there are new temptations.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My 2 new watches are out for delivery.   I'll report by after UPS delivers and I unbox them.   Both the abalone RD and the GU RT SAN III were shipped together.  The discount codes I found were just enough to balance the shipping and tax. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

How funny!

I was checking to see if you received your watches. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Java:  good news and bad news.  Both watches are really nice and I would have kept them.   But the RD was defective.  The crown guard and crown were detached from the stem.  So,  that one goes back.  It's really a stunning dial.

The RT GU SAN III is very well done.  I love the matte finish on the metal.  It looks like the antique satin finish on gold jewelry.  This finish, combined with the texture on the SAN III bracelet are really nice.  I've always loved the bracelet on the SAN III... for me it's the main attraction. 

The GU version is monochrome.... all RT,  including the dial.   The matte finish RT is much softer than high polish RT and looks richer.  Sometimes high polish RT can look brassy,  but the matte finish does not.

So,  it's one out of two.  Now I need to make a trip to the post office.   At least it's after tax season. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi LavJ,

So sorry. This was one of those days, I think..

The RD is a nice watch--just sorry that they sent a defective one. I aways bend over backwards to make sure that the watch is in returnable conditiion.

What I think is that a previous purchaser may have thought it was a chronograph. It's not. You know how you pull the stem to set the watch with certain movements? like the 5040D? Well, obviously that doesn't work with mulfunction movements.

I may have paid more, but I knew that I was getting a "fresh" one. Sometimes if I really want a watch, i pay extra for that reason. A lot of times you have good luck, but sometimes it's as bad as the as is bags they sell on the Q. It's  one of my  pet peeves.

The GU SANIII sounds lovely and almost makes up for the trip to the PO I love the SANIII on a bracelet... Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Java:  thanks.  Sometimes we luck out and sometimes we don't.  It's only a watch.  And I have other abalone dials.