Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS.............MAY 2016

[ Edited ]

It's May 1... time for a new watch collectors thread.   Everyone is welcome to stop by and chat about watches or ask a question.  We love to talk about watches.

Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS.............MAY 2016

LavJ.

Thanks for starting the May thread. (Misplaced my glasses. I try not to post without them.)

Respected Contributor

My first man watch. LOL. First purchased in either 1995 or 1996. This is about a 35mm-36mm.

It was  a Guess watch. Came across it while looking for something else. I couldn't find a replacement strap for it at the time.

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/blueeyz_2007_photos/s1pix/IMG_0275%201_zpszbdsg161.jpg[/IMG...

Respected Contributor

Java:  Classic watch.  Still looks good.  Doesn't look so big anymore.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I wore my GT SAN  III bracelet watch with abalone dial.  For the first hour I couldn't lift my arm.  Then I completely forgot about the watch and didn't notice the weight or the size until I took it off at night.  The dial is beautiful.

Having owned the high polish and the satin finish in the GT SAN III,  I prefer the satin finish.   The GT is so bright and out there in the high polish.  I don't feel that way about the SS version or the smaller SAN I high polish GT.

Respected Contributor

I feel the same way, as beautiful as the watch is in goldtone, it is very bold There's something about the shinines in goldtone It makes it look bigger.  I also prefer the satin finish on the SANIII. If a watch is "shiny, " I usally prefer white metal over the yelllow. I want ot be able to wear as much as possible. I wear my SANI everyday and it's because the ss is more understated and can easily be worn with jeans. I regard all of these as more casual watches.  So I don't even look a larger watch in a shiny GT finish. It's just too much on me: skin tone, size of wrist and hand, plus overall build and stature.  I am 5'3 ish, so have grown more careful in my choices. Noting this for others lurking and reading.

That dial must be amazing.

Regarding weight: that's what happens when you wear a heavy timepiece, after the first hour, you don't feel it. Amazing engineering. I think the reason why so many women return the SANIII is the weight and they don't give it a chance. Actually, they can't, because they wouldn't be able to return the watch.

Trusted Contributor

Regarding the weight, I always test drive these watches before I decide. The bracelet can be louped with a rubber band and held on the wrist like it's sized. No problem wearing a strapped watch. I find some of my watches feel unbelievably heavy, just holding in my hand. But once on the wrist, you forget about it after a while. When I read where these gals open the box hold the watch, can't believe the watch heft and immediately return in. Makes me cringe. If they gave the watch a chance, they'd keep it because they love it, other than the weight. But the weight becomes a non issue. Just my $.02 worth. Smiley Wink
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Trusted Contributor

I have a couple of Android 47mm watches that I haven't been able to get past the weight and the case thickness. One of them has a tungsten bracelet. That was a mistake. Live and learn.

Y'all were right about the SAN III--I find the bracelet version more comfortable than the leather strap version. That GT SAN III with the abalone dial is quite bold and blingy, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that.

One of the issues I have when I wear a larger watch is that sometimes I misjudge the thickness of it and smack is against the wall when going around a corner. Woman Embarassed

But I still love my large watches. I am not a small person and those delicate little women's bracelet watches would feel silly on me. Plus, most of the bracelets would be too short for me anyway.

Respected Contributor

aprimo:  I know what you mean about tungsten.  I have a tunsten watch,  probably 38-40 mm and it weighs a ton.  When I have to take it in for a battery change I can barely carry it along with my other watches.  I don't think I will be buying any more tungsten.

And yes,  I've been know to smack my watches against the door jams.  Did that with the SAN III Saturday when I came home.  Luckily the watch seems to have escaped damage.

SAN III bracelet models are much more comfortable on my wrist.  The strap models spin.

Respected Contributor

Hi all!

For those of you who like the Lady Lupah Rev in a Puppy combination, 

check out this number.  It hasn't been released yet. It's not really "sold out." Not really my thing, but here you go:

635-262

Also, they will have more Marine Pavilion shows towards the end of this month.