Respected Contributor

Hello all!

A warm welcome to all watch enthusiasts durng the month of June.

(My apologies. Had some crazy deadlines to meet._

Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS JUNE 2018

Java:  thanks for starting the June thread.   I guess no one had any exciting watch news to share.   Hope all is well with our watch collectors.

Trusted Contributor

Hi LJ and Java.  Time marches on.  I take it that none of our followers bought any new watches lately.  If so, they aren’t telling us.  

Terry, are you selling off your stock, adding to it or both?  You have quite a collection.  I ended up with more than I need.  When you have to keep putting batteries in watches you don’t even wear every 2 or so years, that’s bad.  

I enjoy watching the shows every now and then but I’m glad nothing excites me.  The old days with the great specs, like Sapphire Crystal, Swiss movement, made in Switzerland are rare these days.  That S Coifman 33mm in SS and GT Automatic carry those specs.  I’m still watching, if I catch a price less then $199, I’ll bite.  I don’t need it, but for some reason because of the specs, I still want it.  It’s a rarity.  Both metals in the 45MM sold out in that watch.  I’m surprised the 33mm is still available especially in the GT.  That watch is one that our collectors should own.  It’s so gorgeous that I must own the other, even if not so striking.  

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Hi Jena,  great to hear from you.  I agree about that S.Coifman automatic.   Great look, classic size, great specs, and when it's on sale,  it's a must have for watch collectors.  I have the GT (my fav) and also the SS with the beautiful colorful black mop dial.

I'm trying to wear what I own... in both watches and handbags.  Today's choice is the Swiss Legend white ceramic/GT trim watch with diamond bezel.  Even tho I knew what to expect from the diamonds,  I still had to get that version of the watch when the price was right.   It's a good looking watch and the mop dial is really beautiful.

I'm pairing it with a bright pink Dooney Bristol satchel in florentine leather (an oldie,  but goodie).  The best way I can describe the color is 'pepto bismol pink'.  I know that doesn't sound inviting,  but the florentine leather is beautiful and paired with a white T shirt, black slacks, and a scarf that includes pink, black, and several other colors,  the outfit is pulled together enough to go out in public and even look good.

I pulled out a Judith Ripka GT/diamonique bracelet (very thin) that was a TSV a while ago.  I'm adding diamonique  stud earrings that are at least a decade old and a diamonique 5 stone ring. 

The diamonique I have purchased from QVC over the last 30 years still looks beautiful.  The stones and the 14K gold settings have held up and I reach for them often.   These days it's the smaller stones that I end up wearing.   Back in the 'day'.... in the 1980's and 1990's I wore the larger diamonique stones all the time.  My 14K gold 4ct tw (2 ct per ear) studs were my go to everyday earrings.  The size was just right....THEN.   Now they seem a little big for everyday.  But I have several pairs in smaller stone sizes, so I'm good to go.  The rings I used to wear had center stone solitare diamonique stones that were 1.5ct to 3 ct  Don't have much occasion to wear them these days.  But they are still beautiful.  It seems that I felt I had to own multiple stone shapes and ring designs.   Do you see a pattern here?

It feels good to enjoy what I already own.  Not as tempted anymore.... well at least,  not as much.  I will say the watch shows are holding almost no interest for me.  Most of the styles are very large men's watches and the women's styles do not appeal to me as a collector.  That's not all bad.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hello

Today is National Watch Day....

Other than that, I have no great watch news to report.

I went to a local jeweler to have a battery replaced in my Raymond Weill. I thought it would be OK, since the guy was able to replace the battery in the other one.

Well, he wasn't there and the women couldn't get the back off and scratched it in the process. The watch is still running--it's doing the five second sweep that tells you to change the battery, so I don't suspect leakage. 

I just didn't feel like going to Tourneau. I know for sure they can do it.

Anyway, there aren't any women's watches that excite me. There's a woman that I know that has Rolexes and Patek Philippes and she really liked my Deco Clone (!) and my Raymond Weill. This is one that knows I wear the Subaqaus.

Evine/Invicta has really ruined the cool watches for women. The Swiss part always  in the mix, but I think it was coolness factor. Now the Deco Clone is an amazing little watch. It's one of the few times that Invicta created an homage piece that was unique. Other than a Michele Deco, I have never seen one like it. It goes with everything.

Why would I buy an Invicta that looks like MK? They're not that much cheaper and the specs are the same. That's not a swipe against anyone's taste.  When i did have a little money, I did invest in things that I needed more.  I did return the saffiano Flynn tote. However, i found one in nice used condition for a fraction of the price. There were some ink spots, but I can live with that if it's preloved. I haven't been on the watch forum either. I stopped going on there after a series of obituaries appeared. I was in the midst of juggling projects and just couldn't.  I am in a different place and have been for a while. It's dominated by men. Women don't stick around there. It's nothing like the one Invicta pulled the plug on. Thanks, Invicta.

It's not an obsession anymore. In its place, I have rediscovered my passions for art, history, and music. I love film. I still love bags, but I no longer have that vast collection.

It's all about balance.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Java.   I wish I could slim down my collection of watches and handbags.   Dealing with eBayers, I think would amount to more problems than what I want to deal with.  I'm very happy with my last buy, Seiko Kinetic automatic SS with white MOP dial.  Love it.  I don't want to add anything more to my collection.  I just want to take some away.  Smiley Sad

Hello to the other watch junkies.  We know who you are. Smiley Wink

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Ok...Since thsi is a watch thread, lol

Evine has two top values:

A Victoria Wieck with rhinestones and crystals and a Versace Verso.  Both are affordably priced at $49.99 and $112 to $127.

Love the look of the Verso. Very clean and a nice 36mm. Interestingly enough, Victoria's watch, although cheaper, has a Miyota movement. You have to also appreciate that her watches are water resistant. That sounds funny, but most of the QVC/HSN watches are purely disposable and are the same price.

Respected Contributor

Hi all.   OK Java,  now I have to go check out those watches.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hi Java I was and am watching evine now. I love the versus and have a couple, I also have several of VW watches so needless to say I am enjoying myself. Have a nice day everybody😀.
Respected Contributor

I happened to see the Judith Ripka watch.

It has a lovely arrangement of diamonique baguettes in the rainbow effect that some of us have seen in Invicta in the last year or so.

J356904

However, the asking price of $215 is way too much. Even MK and Invicta watches are cheaper. I guess they're charging for the setting of the stones. Was just thinking what it would cost if they used real gems?