Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS..... JANUARY 2019

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year to all the watch enthusiasts put there. A warm welcome to all. Here's hoping that 2019 will be a good year.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS..... JANUARY 2019

I would like your opinions:  to keep unworn watches running or pull out the stem?

Happy New Year!  I don't have any expensive watches but I do have a drawer full of fun Timex.  Hope everyone is having the "time" of their life!

Also - does anybody replace their own batteries or do you take them to a repairman?

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Hi. Happy New year.
IMO, I think there's a chance of letting dust inside the watch. Why run the risk of damaging movement?.
Obviously,if the watch is a $15special, you don't worry too much. But in terms of changing batteries, I don't do it myself. I have no talent
I know that some of our watch ladies do their own bracelet adjustments. I know of a few guys who do their own batteries, but most take to a reputable jeweler;their watchhes are pretty expensive. Many ate those with serious complications thick cases.
It can add up.
Frequent Contributor

Hi all!

I'm back from my vacation. It was a wonderful 3-1/2 weeks, except I got an awful head cold about 2 days before it was over. Didn't make flying back any fun. So I'm just taking it easy the next few days. Antarctica was amazingly stunning!

I checked out some watches, just window shopping. They were either brands I'd never heard of, or the usual high end brands (Rolex, Breitling, Tag Hauer, etc).

Sweetbay: I don't pull the stems on my watches due to the possible dust issue, even though they are all in watch cases. I do change most of my own batteries. I've developed some skill at that over time, although a few were tough (Swiss Legend Karamica ceramic watches kind of came apart when the case was opened, but I got them back together). I have a few that I couldn't open the case back, so I take those to a jeweler.

Respected Contributor

Hi Jazzy

Great hearing from you! Sounds like you had a great time--except for the cold, of course! That sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Feel better soon.

I've been very busy with massive projects for the past few months, with very little time to think. Every so often I look at watches, but it's not like it used to be.

I do like Glycine, but they're pretty pricey. 

Back to it!

JQ

Respected Contributor

Hi Sweetbay and welcome to the Watch Collectors thread.

In answer to your questions:  I don't change my own batteries and I don't pull the stems. 

Here are my reasons:

Regarding batteries:

there are over a dozen different watch batteries,  so it's hard to have the exact battery needed.   Yes, there might be some that are used more often.   But if the battery isn't the right one the watch might run for a short time and then stop.   Also,  getting the case open and closed without scratching it and also being sure not to damage or lose any parts from inside the watch can be a challenge.  Some watches have small springs that hold parts in place.   If you don't know what you are doing and the spring pops,  you have an expensive repair.   You also need to be careful not to get dust or moisture inside the watch when changing the battery.  And to be sure the back is securely closed to prevent moisture from getting inside (even a rain storm can ruin a watch that isn't properly closed).

Regarding pulling the stem:   on modern watches it's my understanding that pulling the stem doesn't really save much battery life.   In addition,  if the stem is out, you can't tell if the watch is working. Dead batteries can (and do) leak.  It's happened to me on expensive watches.   When the battery leaks it generally ruins the movement.   So it's best to discover the battery has died and replace it asap.   Also,  with the stem out... moisture and dust can get into the watch,  resulting in expensive repairs or a ruined watch.    And,  the stem is one of the most delicate and vulnerable parts of the watch.  If you store the watch with the stem out the stem could be damaged.... another expensive repair.

So,  for all these reasons,  I think it's better to leave the stem in and have a professional change my batteries.   Batteries usually last 2 years, or more,  so it's really an inexpensive insurance policy versus taking the risks.  Just my opinion.   I know not everyone agrees.

Esteemed Contributor

Just what I needed to know!  Thanks.  I remember when there were battery replacement shops at the local mall.  No more!

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

happy new year.

Respected Contributor

Sweetbay:   in many cases you can get a lower price on battery replacement from a jewelry store than a mall kiosk.

The reason is that a smart jeweler knows that if you come in for a battery you might look around and become a customer and buy other things.   So,  the jeweler will make battery replacement a way to get you into the store.

A mall kiosk has to make all it's money on battery replacement and the sale of accessories, etc.  They can't afford to take a broader view of business and price battery replacement low.   

Check out a few places,  the prices often vary a lot.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, LJ for the more detailed explanation. I am so busy with this massive project. It was over 3200 pages! I can see the faint glow of that light at the end of the tunnel.

For my Q-oriented announcement:

For all those out there who like Isaac watches, there is on on the Lunchtime special.  I don't think I have ever seen them offer one at such a low price.

It seems that Q has expanded their watch offerings and right now they have that EZ pay special going.

I really love the Apple watch. Alas! I don't carry an iPhone. I still think they are cool. They appeal to my inner Geek.

(I do this every so often. After all, it's the Q's forum. Smiley Happy