Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS - - - DECEMBER

aubnwa: I resized some XO and some Renato watches yesterday, I can manage watches with screws, vs. pins, most of the time. But lining up all the links was a challenge. If I had to deal with collars that fit into only 1 link, I don't think I would have had the dexterity and patience. You get 2 gold stars.

Respected Contributor

Texasmouse: I don't know that I've ever seen the 40mm Throttle in ceramic before. Thanks for pointing it out. I love the clean lines of the design. The watch seems fairly slim, but the bracelet is wide. That may or may not be comfortable, depending upon what you are used to. Also, the bracelet is listed at 8 1/2", since it's wide the watch will take up more room on the wrist. If your wrist is narrow, not a problem, but if you generally need close to 8", this one might not work. I think the watch will be comfortable if worn above the wrist bone, even tho it's wide, as long as it's long enough for you.

Note that only some of the models have mother of pearl dials. SL does beautiful mop. Which color combo are you looking at?

As for the technical specs... Swiss movement, that good. Excellent level of water resistance at 10 ATM (330 ft). Sapphitek crystal is what is used on most SL watches these days. it's a scratch resistant composition and I haven't heard any negatives. Watch is fairly heavy at 7 oz. You will notice the weight until you get used to it. As for the quality of the ceramic, I've never had a problem with SL ceramic, but this is a different watch and the bracelet might be as beefy, can't tell from the picture.

Last point, the price.... check around to see if you can do better on ewatches or worldofwatches or thewatchery, all of which are owned by the same company that makes SL watches. The ceramic throttle might be a newer watch, so the prices might not have come down yet. The SL Karamica, which has been out for many years, was originally sold (discounted) at around $200-250. In the last year of so we have seen it on sale for $99 and it can easily be found for under $140.

Personally, I love the 39mm Karamica. The mother of pearl dials and roman #'s are lovely. And I like the fact that you can select SS, GT or rosetone trim. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

Hope this helps. Any specific things you want me to address that I haven't already covered?

Respected Contributor

Texasmouse: I was just over on worldofwatches and saw several versions of the ceramic throttle for $89.99 and $99.99. You can compare them to the ones you saw on shop by looking at the specific model #, including the letter that follow (which denote the color combo). Make sure to look at all the details, as sometimes the pictures can be misleading. I also noticed the bracelet length listed on Wow is much longer. Just note that prices on Wow change frequently and can be different depending upon how you get to the site... directly, thru a sale link, or from a shopping rebate site.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your help, LJ. I was thinking of the white/white combination (not MOP) and my wrist is small (6"). Considering the size, the face would probably take up my whole wrist but I don't think that's a bad thing. The price is not so much the consideration as the 6 monthly payments, which makes the watch more affordable. Smile

Respected Contributor

Oh what the heck. Couldn't pass it up at almost half price on WOW plus 10% cash back from Mr. Rebates. Thanks again, LJ, for your help (and enabling?) I'll let you know what I think of it when it comes. Merry (belated) Christmas to me. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

Texasmouse: may I call you TM, since you are clearly one of us now. Smile Glad to be of help, and this is how the watch collection grows. All this talk about watches and the sales we find, tend to serve as enabling or at least encouraging. We try to be fair and talk someone back from the edge, if that is what they want. Otherwise, we just give what ever info we can and let everyone make their own decision.

I can't wait to see what you think when you get the watch. I think the white/white combination is very sharp looking. And half price (at under $100) beats value pays any day. I agree. Hope you love your new watch.

10% cash back on Mr Rebates.... very tempting. I wonder what treasures I can find on Wow. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

You certainly may call me TM and thank you for the welcome. I will give my review of the watch as soon as it arrives. I hope you can take advantage of the sales too and find yourself a treasure (or two)! Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Last day of the year. For those who will be around tonight there are watch shows starting at 9 pm EST. Allison for 2 hours, then Tim for the next 3 hours. The Swiss parts LZ is in several of the shows, same price as last time.

Anyone who is up at midnight can start our new thread: Watch Collectors... Jan 2015

Happy new year friends.

Trusted Contributor

Happy New Year's Eve ladies! I'm ready for a little enabling fun!

WoW has only one Invicta Women's SAN, Swiss made, GT on a brown leather strap for $299. Plus 10% cashback from Mr. Rebates, and there is a coupon there for $20 off a $175 purchase. Just saying... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

OK, aprimo, I'm going to look at the SAN. I'm not going to buy it, since I already have the SAN on a strap and really prefer the bracelet.... but I'm gong to look anyway. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Whew, I'm safe. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I really like the SAN III in GT, but I can pass this one up. Swiss made watches are hard to find these days at good prices. I think the 42mm SAN III on the strap would work well for a man with a smaller wrist. It's a big watch and it sits up high. Style is aggressive also.