Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS - - - DECEMBER

Jena: I think you made a good choice.... the GT LZ is a Swiss made reserve watch for the same price as a Swiss Parts LZ that is being offered tonight. While I love the SS versions, if you are going to own only 1 LZ, then it makes sense to keep the Swiss made version since it was the same money (actually less since we had a 15% off coupon that day).

I was looking at the Venom on the green strap. But I'm going to pass. I don't love strap watches, the strap is a little short for a watch that big, and I just got the green GD in GT. But I've always loved the look of those particular Venoms.

Trusted Contributor

LJ, it takes a lot for me to put a pink SS Vulcan back to bed but I did. The Lady Zeus is a fine piece of art on the wrist. It reminds me of a cuff, and that's what sold me In the first place. I'm a happy camper. I had forgotten that the TT and the GT were not the same under the hood. Same price, diff, item number and different internals. So I would have made a big boo boo to switch those two. It takes me awhile sometimes for me to love a watch but when I decide I want it I'll be wearing it for a week now. The grn dial LTD Edition GD will have to wait in the wings.
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Jena: glad you are happy with your choices. I checked out the description on the Reserve Swiss LZ vs. the Swiss Parts one from yesterday.... the only difference I find is in the movements. But I was surprised that the all Swiss one had a retail value only $100 more than the other one. It would seem to me that the difference should be much greater in terms of retail value. My conclusion is that the retail value on the Swiss parts one is very overstated... they are adding a lot for the design and build. The JT version, which is also Swiss, had a retail value $200 more than the plain all Swiss one. $200 for the name and the fact that it's a limited edition. OK, I know that retail value is just a number from which the watch is discounted. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} But I thought it was an interesting comparison.

My watch boxes overfloweth, my closet is packed to the gils, my credit card is in hiding.

I've turned one of my 3 slot watch boxes into a tool box. I'm going to use another one for a sewing box and one to keep spare straps and links. (Years ago I bought strap cases from WOW, but I don't like them.) I don't know what to do with the 8 slot boxes as they are so big I don't know where I would put them if I filled them up and I'm not sure I could lift them either. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

Aub: when I took a couple of watches in for sizing I was thinking how great it would be to have the kit. But then the guy took forever to size my gd! he clearly was not having an easy time of it. Has anyone tried Vostok Europe? I actually tried to buy the Nesterov last night but as soon as I put it in my cart it came up sold out. Just curious if any of you have any
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Andrea: I've never bought any of the Russian brands. As for tool kits and sizing....everyone says the Android tool kit is the best. But I have found it difficult to size my own watches.... I know how, but I guess I don't have the strength to do the job. Also my watchmaker, who is a real expert, sometimes has trouble with gold plated watches. He says some of them are plated after the bracelet is assembled, so the pins are stuck inside.

Honored Contributor

lavender: good to know on the android kit. I'll keep that in mind if we end up buying one. I was definitely intrigued by the Nesterov. $119 was a reasonable investment to try it out and only a hundred and fifty made? That kind of pushed it over the edge for me
Respected Contributor

I've had the Android tool kit for about 4 years now & it's more than paid for itself. I've only taken a couple of watches to my jeweler to be sized since I got it, one I got the pin part ways out & it wouldn't budge or go back in & I'm still gun shy about sizing a ceramic.

I've never looked at the other tool kits to see if they might be better or not, as this one does what I need it to do. Anyone know what's the difference between the Android & Invicta or other tool kits?

The Russian brands have never appealed to me that much & since my sweet spot is in the 35mm-40mm case size, they're probably too large for me.

Does anyone know about this evine thing at Shop? Will it replace Shop or be in addition to it? I don't quite understand the whole thing.

aub

Respected Contributor

aubnwa: evine is replacing the shop name, and supposedly adding content and media and direction. We will have to see.

Respected Contributor

LJ, what's your opinion on the Swiss Legend Throttle # 628-215 currently offered on shophq?
Respected Contributor

Invicta Angel Silver Dial 18kt Gold Ion-plated Ladies Watch 15624
One of the 2 narrow little center links is where the collar fit when I was sizing the bracelet on this one & only one of the links had a hole big enough for the collar to fit into & then, the pin went thru all.