Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS AUGUST 2019

Hello all!

A warm welcome to all watch enthusiasts.

Time for another Watch Collectors' thread. Summer has flown by. It's been too hot for watches. But that doesn't mean that I haven't noticed a "hot" watch or two.

Most of the watches I have noticed lately are "smart" watches, whether Apple or Android.

How many of you have dipped your toe in the smart watch pool?

That's all for now. Keep cool.

Java

Frequent Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS AUGUST 2019

Hello all.

Sorry I haven't been around much. Still battling the eye issues and on fairly high doses of steroids, although lower. It's been awful for my weight, but I figure I can deal with that once the dose is down more.

Java: I'm one that's guilty of wearing my Apple watch most of the time now. I like getting the notificaitons, being able to check my pulse and even do a cardiogram with it.

I agree, it's almost too hot to wear a watch these days, but soon it will cool off.

I hope everyone is doing ok.

Jazzy

Trusted Contributor

Thx for the new thread, Java.  With 3 posts last month, I didn’t think we would get another thread.

Anyway it’s never  too hot for me to wear a watch.  Like I always say, if you wear a bra, you wear a watch.  Lol. Lol.

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Trusted Contributor

Jazzy, I certainly hope you can get your eye issues behind you. I finally did. Knock on wood.
Respected Contributor

Jazzy,

Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the issues with your eyes. Hope that they will be resolved soon.

Steroids! I have a history of respiratory problems and when the asthma would flare up, they prescribed prednisone to reduce the inflammation. Then there were other issues. 

For me, they knocked me out, then made me feel wired. The increased appetite is the worst part. Wouldn't you know: I'm one of those people who can look at chocolate and gain 5 pounds.

Respected Contributor

Summer's always slow; people move on to other things. There's certain things we're not allowed to do anymore. Lot of people hang out on Facebook or other social media. Some are no longer with us. Permanently.

I have been so crazy busy with projects. It's a blessing, to be sure. It just doesn't leave enough time for what I like.

This watch thread has been going on since 2006.  That's a long time. It's long enough for people to enter different life stages, with competing priorities. 

Respected Contributor

Hi to all my watch buddies.  It's nice to see posts again.  Java,  thanks for starting another thread.  Hi Jena.

Jazzy,  I hope you are feeling better soon.  These health  issues tend to take longer to resolve as time goes on.   And the treatments create their own set of issues that need to be resolved.  I think every one of us has been there.   Not a fun place.

As for watches,  I might be over buying new ones!!   Maybe... When I see something I would have jumped on in the past,  now I just think.... that would be nice,  but I have so many others  I never get to wear. 

I will admit a recent Invicta watch,  think it was called tatoo,  with multicolor designs on the bracelet had me very tempted.  It was 42mm, and that helped me resist.

And,  like a few other designs or bracelet treatments,  I'm not sure I'd be wearing those watches in a few years,  after the novelty wore off.   At least,  with most of my collection,  the designs have stood up over the decades.  Of course,  I can't always count on the movements to work over dozens of years and that is the downside of such a large collection.  And some of the larger sizes are now feeling too heavy.  Guess I'm out of 'condition'.... larger, heavier watches take a few days to get used to wearing.

I haven't been tempted by smart watches.  And in the warmer months,  I'm wearing some smaller and lighter watches.  The 30-34mm are much more comfortable than the 40-42mm watches in the heat and humidity.  Ceramic bracelets and softer leather straps get chosen more often than the heavy stainless steel bracelets I generally prefer.  My ultra thin and light weight Movado watches are getting some wrist time (after many years of just sitting in my watch boxes). I still love the sleek design of the Movado museum dial.   And the light color ceramic watches/bracelets are always a good choice this time of year.   I do wonder why i needed so many white ceramic watches in my collection?

And for tonight I'm going to wear a 30mm diamond diver (Invicta).  It's the perfect size to go with some more antique styled jewelry I'm planning to wear.  The pendant and ring were QVC purchases many years ago.   Not my normal style preference,  but they are beautiful and caught my eye. The diamonique, sterling silver, and sapphires look as good today as when I bought them.

I'm paring them with a very delicate Judith Ripka sterling and diamonique bracelet,  also antique looking,  to my eye.  (Why did I buy this bracelet... one in sterling and one in gold over sterling?  They are much too delicate for me). This will be the first time I'm going to 'accessorize' this summer.   It's been a challenging few months,  family and health have taken priority over jewelry, handbags, and coordinating my look.

I'm glad I didn't give away all of my smaller watches.  Right now I'm tempted to cull the larger watches.   But... I'll hold off.  When the weather turns cooler,  I'm sure I'll give some of my favorite 36mm Renato watches (love those high quality diamonds) and some of my 38-40mm Invictas some wrist time.   Some of those abalone dials,  mosaic and solid mop dials are beautiful.  Makes up for the weight of the watches.  And wearing those heavy watches counts as aerobic exercise anyway.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Good to see you again, LavJ.

I’m so stuck on only wearing 4 watches, they sit out in the light and I just grab one and go.  

I did manage to dig out my red dial automatic Invicta with SS bracelet, the other day.  I was wearing a lot of red and I decided to get a red dial out.  It was fun.   I have to do more of that.  We have beautiful watches, just going to waste.  I haven’t even looked in over 6 months or so to see how many dead ones I have. I think my jeweler thinks I found someone else to service them.  What a waste of time and $$$ getting all those batteries changed and never wear the watch afterwards.  

And tomorrow it will be a different WOTD.

Respected Contributor

Happy August! 

No new watches for me, unless you count the replacement two-tone Citizen Corso that I've been wearing a lot to make up for lost time after the original one wouldn't run.  This one is perfect, so I've been wearing all 4 or my Corsos a lot, I guess they're my perfect case size at 36mm, plus that gorgeous mop dial doesn't hurt, either.

I saw this one on Macy's site (& Jomashop, too at a better price) & it caught my eye, but I will resist!

Trusted Contributor

Now, Aub, if that had a MOP dial, swirl..my fav...Smiley Wink I’d be tempted.   I love that Modena with the start white dial though.  You own that one, I think.  

Has anyone ever seen the pink dial SS Eco Drive in Macy’s?  I’m afraid that dial is more mauve than pink and I don’t want to take a chance on it.