Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS. . .. . AUGUST 2017

[ Edited ]

makena:  Things like that bug me too.  But it happens all the time.   If the back of the watch has screws to attach it,  the embossing may have been stamped at an angle.  I've never seen that happen.   But if the back of the watch case screws (turns) into place or is a snap on,   then it just means that the back wasn't positioned with the labeling straight up when the watch was assembled.  It won't have any affect on the functioning of the watch.

If you give me the item #,  I can check the listing and see what kind of back is on the watch.

I have this issue every time I have watch batteries changed.  I want the back put on with the lettering straight up,  but the jeweler never even looks at how the back is positioned.  I guess it's because he is looking at the back of the watch and focused on attaching it properly,  and not looking at the front of the watch to be sure everything is in the same direction.

Hope this helps.  Depending upon how the back attaches a jeweler could probably take it off and put it back on for you quite easily.   But I wouldn't do that until you need a battery change.  The seating of a watch back is part of the water resistance protection of the watch.  Don't mess with it for cosmetic reasons.  And also,  every time the back is removed you run the risk of dust getting into the movement.

Respected Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie I'm so happy someone can relate.  I hesitated about asking.  I know it's silly but it's me ...

The watch I have is

Invicta Women's Angel Quartz Chronograph Mother-of-Pearl Silicone Strap Watch

- 647-754 

I really wanted a white and gold watch so I chose this one.  It's very nice.  I wish it didn't have such a long strap also, as I have a very small wrist and it's on the tightest length but the end of the strap sticks up.  Another thing that bugs me.  I wished it had an adjustable metal band or I wish they had shorter straps to offer. 

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me on the back.

Respected Contributor

Makena:   the back on that watch screws down into the case. That happens to be the best case back design.  Based on how it's positioned the lettering on the back will end up in different places.  It's not a defect,   just the way the watch was assembled.

Since you have a small wrist,  that watch may not be the best design for you.  Reading the specifications the strap is very long and will fit over an 8" wrist.   Also,  the metal inserts in the strap make it bulky on the wrist.   I've tried straps like that and find they aren't comfortable for me.  My wrist is around 7".

The watch is very good looking,  but you have to be comfortable wear it.

If you decide to return the watch,  look for one with a bracelet, which you said you preferred, that can be sized down to your small wrist size.

If you want to post other possibilities here,   we will be happy to give you our input... for what ever it's worth. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie  Thanks for your help.  I at least feel better about the back.  It is a bit heavy ... still undecided though.  You know how it is when you want to like something or have it fit but it just doesn't it ... it stinks. 

Respected Contributor

makena:  watch the schedule for Invicta shows.   Then check the ON Today listing to see what they are featuring.  That's when the prices get reduced.   If something is listed at the regular evine price,   there is a good chance it will be a once only or this day only.  The prices get posted about 15 minutes before each show.   That's the way to find the best prices. 

My best advice is don't keep a watch you aren't happy with.  There will be another and another and another watch to tempt you.

If you let me know what you are looking for,  I'll keep my eyes open and post a heads up here if I see anything.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been enjoying wearing my Renatos lately, including my GT Vulcan with a sky blue turquoise face & found a ST Vulcan with a purple face on ebay for a good price that was new with all tags & paperwork & original packaging & still wrapped like mummy in plastic, so I took a chance & bought it.  I did ask the seller to replace the battery, since he said it still had the original one from the manufacturer, which he did.  I was thinking the watch was made at least 5 years ago & the battery in it was old. 

It's a beauty, but it's interesting comparing both the Vulcans side by side.  The new (ST/purple)one has diamonds paved on the crown & the chrono pushers have a white stone inset on them, where my GT Vulcan has a knurled crown with the initials "RC" on it & plain high polished pushers.  Not sure which one was made 1st.

Took it to my jeweler & had it sized after trying to size it myself & deciding I didn't have the right tools.  The bracelet on the GT is put together with flathead screws & this new ST one has the teeniest little Phillips head screws I've ever seen & I didn't have the right size tool.  Since getting it sized, I've worn it 3 days in a row!

Respected Contributor

aubnwa:  That's very interesting.   I didn't know the ladies Vulcan was ever made in a GT version.  I have the SS version.  How did I miss a GT version?   I'm sure I would have bought it. Smiley Happy  Is it possible you bought it directly from Renato?   Maybe it was a sample?

In any case,  glad you are enjoying your watches and glad you were able to find a good buy on the SS version.

When I look at my Renato collection I wonder why I bought so many.   But when I wear one of them,  I always enjoy the watches and remember why I like them so much.

BTW,  a few months ago I sent a Renato in for repair,  under the lifetime warranty I had purchased.  It was handled very well and I got the watch back quickly and

the problem appears to have been fixed,  what ever it was.  I held my breath,  but was very pleased that the company that took over Renato was standing behind the commitments that were made to us.

Respected Contributor

LJ, I never thought about the GT with the sky blue face being rare, since I think I got it from whatever evine was called at that time, but when I search for an image, I only find the sky blue dial Vulcan on a SS version.  The amount of the edition on the back of the case of GT/blue is 75, where the ST/purple is 110, still not a huge amount made.  Since there are differences in the crowns & pushers, I'm thinking each edition was made at a different time & called a new edition. 

I like the case size of the ladies' Vulcan, at 35mm, it sort of hits the "sweet spot" for me, it's not huge & the case thickness gives it a bigger presence on the wrist.

Even the Renato watch box the SS/purple came in looks different than any of the other Renatos I've gotten.  It's a super high lacquered black piano finish in a short sort of obelisk box.

Oh, well!

aub

Regular Contributor

Welcome Makena.  I knew of your name way back when Bob Brinker was on the air with investments.  Would that person be anyone you knew?  Small world, who knows.

Anyway LavJ I know why we have such a large Renato collection.  We couldn't resist the Beauty's with the fab diamonds.  What a thing Daniel Mink had going for him.  Too bad it all fell by the wayside.  Who would have ever thought?  

So Aub is buying Renatos again.  I've been looking at eBay also and I'm seeing them there.  But this YT Vulcan, I've never seen it either.  Or heard of it.  If it were shown, I'm sure LavJ and I would own it.  Smiley Wink

I'm tickled you had a great experience with your Renato repair, LJ.  We just need the paper work from way back for lifetime warranty.  TG I have it.  It's not like we had something sent to us after we planked down our $100.  We were told, oh we will have this on file so anytime in the future, we'll have it.  Only then they disbanded.  

I bought quite a few Renato ally straps and now I wonder why.  I never trade off the bracelet for the leather strap.  Every color one could think of and they sit in their beds sleeping.  

Ok back to the eclipse.  I'm watching it on tv.  It's overcast here and no sun even if I had the glasses.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Jena:  I have a few straps too.   Never change out the bracelet for the straps on my Renato.   And even on my Invicta Baby and Lady Lupahs I don't change out the strap colors either.

I've been reaching for my mosaic Invicta Bolt Zeus in blue a lot lately.   It seems to go with my wardrobe and it's a comfortable watch.  The Lady Zeus is easier to wear than my SAN I or SAN III watches.... it's lighter than the SAN I and smaller than the SAN III.   I though I'd be getting more wear out of my abalone dial watches,  maybe in the fall I'll reach for them again.