Highlighted
Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS....APRIL 2019

Hello, All!

Today it's April 1st. April Fool's Day and time for a new thread.  It seems like winter wants to hang around. Today we had temperatures in the forties, with wind gusts. Seems like Mother Nature wanted to pull a April Fool's joke! Smiley Happy

Anyway, just a warm welcome to all watch enthusiasts, whether it be a watch-related question or that new watch you have your eye on.  Of course, you want to drop in and say "Hi," we'd love to hear from you. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS....APRIL 2019

Thanks for starting a new thread Java.

My mission this month is give more watches some wrist time.

Frequent Contributor

Hi ladies.

Sorry I've been MIA. When I got back from my trip, I saw the eye doctor and the iritis had flared up in the right eye. Had to get that calmed down before I could get cararact surgery on the left. I had left cataract surgery on March 25th. I'm doing ok, but there's some flareup of the iritis now on the left. So drops 6 times a day in both eyes. Seems it's all I do! And who knows when she'll want to do the right side.

I feel guilty that I've been wearing my Apple watch, and neglecting all the other watches in the drawer. I may try to thin out some of them, but it's hard to get any decent price on auction sites.

I hope all are doing ok. Waving to Java and Jena and anyone else.

LJ: Good idea to try to give some wrist time to all your lovely watches.

Respected Contributor

Jazzy:  hope your eye problems calm down.  They can be very frustrating.

I've been wearing a lot of my Renato watches.   I really enjoy them.  The 35-36mm size was always my sweet spot,

and those diamonds are bright, white, and full of sparkle.

I don't know if I can haul around the larger Invicta watches in my collection.  But some of those dials are beautiful,  so I need to resume training.  Smiley Happy

Take care and hope your eye issues are resolved soon.

Respected Contributor

I just wanted to report that I'm running into a lot of problems with the ETA G15.211 Swiss movements on many of my Renato chrono watches.  A few of them have needed new movements.   The watches stopped or ran very slowly,  I had batteries changed (by a good watchmaker) and the problems persisted.  Since that movement is not repairable (it's partly plastic),  I've been left with the problem of either paying for a new movement or tossing the watch. 

As those of you who also collected Renato watches know,  these watches were beautiful and pricey.  When we bought the watches  we were able to get a lifetime warranty,  so it didn't seem to matter that the watches used  low end Swiss movements. And we probably didn't envision or understand the vulnerability of that movement.   It was widely used and made by a top Swiss movement company (ETA).    Aren't Swiss quartz movements supposed to last forever,  like good Japanese quartz movements?  Even with a low percentage of failures expected,  I guess I have a large enough collection to encounter that percentage.  Smiley Sad

Renato has been sold several times,  and the last time I tracked down the repair department in the new owner,  they were not prepared to deal with the movement replacement.   Maybe it was just bad timing as they had just acquired Renato and weren't in full operating mode on repairs yet.   I don't know,  I'll have to try again as I have another diamond Beauty that needs a new movement.

Trusted Contributor

Bad news, huh LJ?  I haven’t looked at my watches for months so I know I have many dead ones there but as far as slow running ones, I don’t have a clue.  I have gotten away from watches so much that I can’t even go through them to see what shape they are in.  

I had not realized that Renata had been sold so many times.  I would bet that down the road one of these new owners would not honor that lifetime warranty we paid for.  They didn’t get the $$, Daniel did.  I never did use the warranty.  I have one automatic that I must have messed up for it runs way to fast.  Might be an easy fix, but I didn’t want to sent it on and worry about it.  I know where it is, even though it has problems.  

How did we get into this fix, anyway? Lol.

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father always carried a pocket watch. He had never worn a wrist watch. For the last couple of years I have been researching pocket watches. Last year I ordered a Charles Herbert pocket watch, but I had to return it because it did not work.

After researching Gotham watches and reading reviews I decided to order one. I ordered a ultra thin quartz, open blue face pocket watch. I already have a 30 inch round Rolo chain to wear it on. I know I will be ordering one more just a different brand.

As a young child I'd always wanted to have one, as an adult I wanted one in the remembrence of my father. I will be looking online for some vintage pocket watches.

My Gotham watch it's scheduled for delivery on Friday.

Respected Contributor

Gracie:  What a lovely way to remember your father and his love of the pocket watch.  My Dad was a watch collector and that is what got me started collecting.  My Dad had a pocket watch,  I think it was from his father.  My brother has it now.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lavenderjunkie , the memory of my father and his  pocket watch has never faded. Every time I will see a pocket watch I would smile. I always said that I was going to get one but never did. In In the last couple of years as I got older I decided to get one. 

My youngest son is also a watch Collecter, for his birthday I'm going to get him a pocket watch, in remembrance of his grandfather, who died before was born.

Respected Contributor

Well, it's that time again. I've started the May thread.