Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS.... APRIL 2018

New month, so it's time for a new watch collectors thread.  Everyone is welcome to join to talk about watches or ask questions about a watch you are considering.

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.  Lots of watch shows,  but I think I'm done with new watches, at least for a while.

Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS.... APRIL 2018

[ Edited ]

Hi

LavJ,

Thanks so much for starting the thread. I wasn't able to do so, because I was traveling and away from my computer. And I wasn't able to use my phone much. Helping friend get ready for the holiday. 

I have a bit of a respite. However, I have some wisdom teeth that were giving me problems. I didn't have them removed before, because I didn't have adequate down time for post-surgical care. My thoughts haven't been on watches exactly. Again, thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Hi LJ and Java.

Java, I hope you aren't having too much pain from the wisdom teeth.

Seems I can't catch a break (no pun intended!). I went to NYC last week, to visit the Freedom Tower and 9/11 Memorial and Museum, among other things. Walked and walked. One day had 12 miles on my Fitbit! Came home and had foot pain. I have a fracture of one of my metatarsal bones on the left foot, and am in a trauma boot Smiley Sad. Had to cancel this weekend's trip to DC to see the cherry blossoms.

Nothing new on the watch front.

Waving to Jena and others.

Respected Contributor

Jazzy and Java:  hope you are both feeling better soon.  This getting older stuff is sometimes a pain.  

Trusted Contributor

...carried over from the March thread.

Hi Jena

Just thought I would drop in and post....I have been looking at watches and i have found 2, not 1 but 2  that meet the mark for uniqueness, automatic and priced right and on evilpays. care to guess which 2?????Im supposed to be liquidating, but these 2 would would fall into my keeper status.Smiley Happy

Terry

I can’t believe you are still buying watches.  Ok, I’m curious, which automatic did you buy?  2 of them I guess.  I still wear my Seiko Kinetic only and have no desire to look at the rest of them.  That’s a shame too.  I love my watches, but I am watched out.  I should be going and getting the dead batteries changed and if I brought out all the deadies. I probably will have a boat load.  I love my automatics.  

Hope all is well with the other watch fanatics....lol.  

Won’t be long and well we looking at the May thread.

Time flies.

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jena:  I'm watched out too.  Trying to wear what I have.  And I'm often choosing mid size rather than the larger size cases.  Good thing I have more than enough of every size. Smiley Happy  

Recently a watch I had been following went on a deeper sale,  and I let it go by.  The specs just weren't impressive enough for me to want to add another abalone dial large watch to my collection.  Am I finally done?

And yes,  I have a boat load of watches that need to have their battery replaced.  As with most hobbies.... there is a maintenance cost and work effort that is ongoing.  Automatic and mechanical watches have their appeal.

And one of these days I need to excavate the white summer watches from the back of the closet so they can have some wrist time.   I'm still working on the spring/summer handbag changeover.   At the rate I'm going it will be fall before I'm done and time to reverse the collection.   Clearly I don't need any more watches or handbags.

Respected Contributor

Good morning,

It's a beautiful day in the neighbrhood. Finally! Hope everyone is doing OK. The wisdom teeth calmed down, but I have projects coming in a few days. Complicating matters is the fact that I am having trouble finding someone to accept my coverage---that isn't an hour and a half away. In addition, I am a chicken.

I haven't bought a watch since I bought the used RW on ebay about a year ago. It is 28mm. I wear mostly my Deco Clone, RD square with abelone, my Lady Zeus and my SANI.

It doesn't mean that I don't look at watches or check out watches in stores. I do. i probably always will.

However, I had spent time looking for a replacement/alternate for my Coach Field Bag that I primarily use for interviews. Bought it about 6 years ago and it was a reissue of a similar bag that was made in 1992. It's dark navy; they never issued in black.

Anyway, while I was refreshing other very important things, I was thinking that it might be making look like I was old enough to be job searching in 1992. Of course, I am, but it's a matter of appearing dated. It might also be overkill.

I can remember when it was appropriate to carry both a small bag in addition to a briefcase/tote. Now it's better to carry a large tote to carry everything in and to keep important materials accessible. There is some contrast stitching, but it's tastefully done and tones it down. No mistaking it for a  $$$ bag. It can be used for travel or when I really need to carry a lot of things around.

I ordered four and returned two. i had settled on the Dooney Flynn in black saffiano. It's a larger size, but not the most huge; it will acccommodate files and a laptop, if needed. The outside pockets and its ability to take rain or snow were key selling points. After I had returned a few items, however, I had spotted a large Ameli(e) tote in black Florentine.-As Is. It was there during an E-Z pay flash event and I swooped in and crossed my fingers.

It came and this time I was lucky. Whoever used it before was very careful and the price was very good.  Normally, that bag is a $400 bag. No dust bag or card, but at a savings of about $150, I'm not going to quibble about those things. A very nice bag. It reminds me of old Coach bags. It can carry files and a few extras. It's not overly large, but it's not small. It doesn't have a back slip pocket, but it's easy to get into. Done with that.

I know this isn't a watch topic, but we kind of like bags around here.

Respected Contributor

Haven't bought a watch in ages, but finally bit on a Citizen EcoDrive Modena in rosetone, since I don't have a lot of rosetone.  It's unlike any other watch I own & best of all, no batteries to replace.  Case size is 36" &  is quite thin & the stem is in an interesting spot & best of all, I got it for just $147 from Jomashop.  Sized it myself last night.  I think I'm done for awhile!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

aubnwa:  enjoy the new watch.  It sounds perfect.... great size, no batteries, good brand.

Java:  hope you love your new saffiano Dooney Flynn.  I think you made a good choice.   The saffiano won't show wear and is perfect for all weather conditions.   The Flynn style is very functional and modern.   It doesn't look like a plain tote bag,  it has much more style.  And the longer straps make it easy to carry on your shoulder as you traverse the city.   Just be sure to bury your wallet under other things or in the zipper pocket,  and secure your keys to the key leash.  I find the top of the Flynn, Barlow, and similar styles from Dooney to be too open on top for comfort in crowded areas.

The black Florentine Amelie tote is a stunning handbag.

Just load your things in it to be sure it's not too heavy.... the Florentine leather combined with the size and the lock can make these handbags weightly.   Also,  I have the same concerns about wallets carried in the Amelie tote as I do in the Flynn..... the top is quite open.

This may be less of an issue if the handbag is carried on the shoulder, under your arm.   But do think about it when you make your decision. 

Respected Contributor

Bags....

LavJ,

Thanks for your kind words and nuggets of wisdom.  I have lived in NYC since "the bad old days." In the winter, I wore a small crossbody under my coat. Back then I also carried large totes. Some of them were open and I learned to bury, or I purchased another. I always made sure to carry the pcoket holding hte wallet against my body. I can remember pinning keys, a token and a $20 bill under the lining of my coat, in case I was mugged. My bag was worth my life, but I had to be able to get home or a safe place.

My backpacks generally had a hidden pocket with my wallet againsst my back. It is so ingrained in me to have my hand on my bag at all times.  You know how a lot of bag lovers always get these huge matching wallets to match their bags? I carry only a small wallet which will carry one credit card, ID insurance card,, debit card and a little cash. That's it. I always zip them securely in those zipper pockets. My Metrocard is always carried separately, with a little emergency money tucked in.  I try to touch my wallet in public as little as possible. I keep "begger money" in a pocket where I don't have to touch my purse or Metrocard.  I don't worry that much. If they want it, they'll take it. Most of my bags have outside slip or zip pockets.

I know people really love satchels for their elegane, but I can tell you that I have never felt more insecure than when I had a simple satchel on my arm. Somehow it has to have a strap or someway that I can hold it more securely. In dress, I am more low key. Boring, but it's saer. There have been times that I walk around with lots of money on me and you would nerver know. No worries!

You know what I think is the perfect bag for travel in NYC or crowded places? The Florentine (or any of its siblings) fold over cross body. It's a genius design.  However, one of my favorite, everyday, knock about bags is an Amy Kestenberg backpack. It has that hidden pocket where one woudl carry it against the back. It also has an ingenious magnetic lock on the zipper. I don't think hte quality is like Coach or Dooney, but she really thinks of how women use their bags in their daily lives. If I had the cash to throw around, I would choose a Mulberry Bayswater tote or a Gavreil Mansur tote. Talk about unicorns in DreamLand!  Again, thanks for your kind input. It is always appreciated and considered.

Watches,

aub, do enjoy that new watch.  It does sound like a winner. No battery changes. Yay!

When I visted Macys recently, I got a kick out of looking at the watches. I still love them. Men and women's. (No, I don't look at the boxed specials that are out in the open.)