Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS--APRIL 2016

pandalady:  Welcome to the Watch Collectors thread.  I've seen the presentations on the Wewood watches,  but I don't own any so I can't tell you how they wear or what they are like in person.  If there is a style you liked,  I'd be happy to look at the specifications and give you my opinion.

Respected Contributor

pandalady:  out of curiosity,  I just looked over the specs on some of the wewood watches.  The ones I looked at had a Japanese quartz movement,  which is fine,  BUT there is NO water resistance.  Some of the watches say NO, others just don't even mention water resistance.   I think this is a serious concern.  Even if you don't put the watch in water,  no water resistance level means the movement could be damaged by a splash or a rain storm.

Respected Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie wrote:

pandalady:  Welcome to the Watch Collectors thread.  I've seen the presentations on the Wewood watches,  but I don't own any so I can't tell you how they wear or what they are like in person.  If there is a style you liked,  I'd be happy to look at the specifications and give you my opinion.

@Lavenderjunkie  Thank you for your response.  I had my eye on the Pardus (#638-006).  I have a small wrist and would like a style to match any outfit.  I would certainly welcome your input and I thank you so much!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie wrote:

pandalady:  out of curiosity,  I just looked over the specs on some of the wewood watches.  The ones I looked at had a Japanese quartz movement,  which is fine,  BUT there is NO water resistance.  Some of the watches say NO, others just don't even mention water resistance.   I think this is a serious concern.  Even if you don't put the watch in water,  no water resistance level means the movement could be damaged by a splash or a rain storm.

Thanks.  As pretty as they are, I am a first grade teacher and this may not be a practical choice for me. I do appreciate you taking the time and your suggestions!Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

pandalady:  I checked the watch you are looking at.  It's a very pretty design.  The movement is made in China.  So I would classify it as a low end fashion watch with an inexpensive movement.  Also,  as I mentioned before,  no water resistance level is given. 

If you purchase the watch,  think of it as a fashion accessory.  I can't predict how long the watch will last, whether you wear it often or not.

If you look at the warranty info on one of the other styles,  you will see that they exclude water resistance issues from the coverage, along with many other things.

" The WeWOOD warranty does not cover: normal wear and tear or deterioration as well as water or fire damage, the life of the battery, crystal, watch case, strap/bracelet, loss or theft."  Copied from 629711.

Respected Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie  Thank you so much for taking the time with me today.  I belive I'll save my money to put it on a more durable watch.  Do you have any brands that you recommend?  Like I said, I teach first grade.  Although I like "cute", durability is more important to me.  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@Pandalady Welcome to the Watch Collectors thread. The ladies here know their watches and I have learned a lot from them. LJ gave you some great information to consider. I have seen the WeWood watches before on the Evine website and I may have seen a presentation once a long time ago. They are not my style, so I haven't paid attention to whatever they've brought out lately.

However, we all have our own preferences and that is why they make so many different kinds of, well... everything! I would take LJ at her word that you should regard those watches as only a fashion accessory. However, if you like them that much and the price is right, that may suit you just fine. I don't think the ladies here are snobs about fashion watches even if some of us don't choose to buy them. If you decide to buy a WeWood, please give us a first-hand report.

Respected Contributor

pandalady:  it's timely that you should ask for input on watch brands.  I'm discussing that very same thing with a friend who is looking for a watch.   Everyones taste is different and everyones price range is different.

I'd be happy to give you my opinion, as I'm sure other ladies here will also chime in.   We love talking about watches and finding new treasures.

When I look at a watch I consider both the look (style and size) and also the specifications of the watch (movement, meterials of case, case back, and bracelet/strap, and water resistance level), and of course the price. 

So in order to be helpful I need to know what you are looking for.  Let's start with your price range?  Then, what about the size of of the case?  Are you looking for something delicate or dressy or something sporty or functional? 

Respected Contributor

@Lavenderjunkie and @aprimo, I feel so welcomed here!  Thank you.  Let's see...my price range for right now would be right around $100 or less.  The case would need to be 40mm or less. The band would need to fit between 6 3/4 and 7 for my small wrist. I know that I prefer a buckle on the band to a stretch band. I have enjoyed Disney (Mickey or Minnie) watches in the past but I also may need a "grown up" watch, too for dressier wear.

Thank you so much!Cat Very Happy

Panda

Respected Contributor

pandalady:  Here are a few things for you to look at. 

Every bracelet watch will most likely need sizing,  but that is not a problem.  Most jewelers will do it for under $10 and it only takes a few minutes,  since the bracelets are made to be sized easily.  So don't be concerned about the bracelet length.

Also,  once you find the watch you like we can see if someone is selling it at a better price.   Many reputable watch sites run sales daily,  sometime for even a few hours.

OK,  here goes:

on QVC:  J322323, it looks like it's about 38-40mm.

on evine:  673-893, 637-502, 626-188, 637-889, some of these have Swiss movements,  some are even Swiss made, others have Japanese movements.  They are Invicta watches.

on ewatches: Bulova 98M81, and

Lucien Piccard 12384-02MOP

You will find tons of other watches on this site, ewatches dot com and their sister site worldofwatches dot com.

All the watches are stainless steel and have decent specs,  from my quick look at them.  They are different sizes.

If a bracelet is 16mm wide, it is a medium width bracelet.  A 20mm wide bracelet will feel much wider.  Just consider this if you are looking for a delicate watch.  Larger case sizes usually come with wider bracelets.  Personally,  I prefer an 18-20mm wide bracelet.  I consider a 16mm or narrower bracelet to be a little too thin for most larger watches.   But that's just personal.

You will also notice I didn't suggest any watches with crystals on the outside.  In my experience, crystal decorations don't hold up over time... they either discolor or fall out.  So I save the blingy crystals for really inexpensive watches that I don't expect to last for very long.

If you find something you like,  let us know and we will give it a more thorough review.