Trusted Contributor

Hello.  I've been lost, I know.  I see LavJ is still coming in.  I'm not into wearing watches at all now.  Yes that sure is a bulletin.  I got skin cancer right on the top of my left wrist. Right where I wear my watches.  So its been since last Nov. I been dealing with this issue.  All is gone now, just the continuing healing.  But the few times I have worn a watch, its just too soon.  I feel like I'm not fully dressed, because I am from the old school. Lol.  So consequently none of mine are being worn and the last time I peeked, sooooo many of them are not running.  Of course the jeweler isn't there either so start on changing batteries again.  I bet its been close to a year since I've been there.  

But looking thru the collection, OH MY..I have to say so myself...I have good taste.......lol.  Nobody loves them like I do, and that creates a problem too.  My sis won't take my watches, she's still into the 24mm.  So mine look like salad plates to her.  So no giving her any.

Ok, stay safe everyone.  

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Jena:  glad you are on the mend.  Understandable why you haven't been wearing any of your lovely watches,  and yes,  you do have excellent taste in watches.  When you heal... you can ease back into the watches by starting with the smaller and lighter ones.   I had to do this,  and it rekindled my love for some of my older watches..... 32 - 34mm and those very slim Movado strap watches.  I began to appreciate the classics again and was glad I still had them.

Stay safe.  LJ

Frequent Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS 2020

[ Edited ]

Hi ladies.

I hope you all are ok. I've been self-isolating due to being on an immunosuppressant. Kind of lonely when you live alone.

Still battling the eye issue. They want me to try Humira. First month is $2600 out of pocket! I'm trying to get assistance with the cost from the manufacturer.

My trip at the end of March got cancelled. I was to have gone to Germany for a couple of weeks to visit with friends, then a cruise from Barcelona with stops in Italy and France. I'm not sure I'll be cruising anytime soon again, or ever.

I've mainly been wearing my apple watch (sacrilege I know!). I had planned to try to put some of the Invictas that I have duplicates of up for sale on the bay, but due to not wanting to go to the post office, I haven't.

Jena: I hope you're on the mend. My BFF has had several skin cancers and last year a melanoma (fortunately cured with only surgery). He's very attentive now to sunscreen and shade.

LJ: waving!

Hi to all the other watch collectors who are around.

Respected Contributor

Hi to all watch collectors.   Hope eveyrone is doing ok.

I have 'finally' worn all my automatic watches this year,  so the movements got some exercise.  Now I'm trying to rotate thru some of the quartz watches..... all in an attempt to justify purchasing them all (in the past) and adding a little amusement to the day.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone.  Seems like in todays world, we all have our troubles, in one way or the other.  Just getting older, is my problem.  But could be worse.  

Everyday it seems I get a new email from eBay and someone is trying to sell their men's Renatos.  I browse quickly and find nothing for the ladies and then I move on.  If I want a Renato, I just go into my own collection, they are begging to be worn.  But every one of them it seems, is dead.  So I go over to the automatics and revive one of them.  LJ, I'm starting to get mine up and running also.  I haven't watched a show on ShopNBC for a long time and I stumble into them everyonce in a while just trying to get away from todays politics.  

Never in my lifetime did I ever think I would go shopping in a mask and wearing rubber gloves.  I've grown so used to the mask, I feel naked without it on.  One certainly washes their hands more now, without even thinking about it.

I suppose now my jeweler has opened up, I'll have to alert her to my arrival, she will need mega batteries.  My thought is, if I haven't worn certain watches in years, why do I need to invest in a battery?  I know I've taken many in and I've never worn them till they die again.  I wish I had a neighbor who would love to eBay most of them.  I really don't want to be bothered with it.  I have quite a few that I can live with and the rest......even though beautiful I've lost interest.  Does my story relate to anyone else?

Ok, becareful out there.  Hope all in well with you all.  Jazzy, I hope you got your eye situation under control.  After years, I finally did. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi Jena.  Glad you stopped in.  I sent you an email.... but...it might have gone to an old email addr or you had an old email addr for me.  Can't post email addr here...

but hint... my new email addr starts and ends with the same letter as the first letter of the email provider I now use.

I have so many watches that need batteries.   I want to get them done.... even if I don't wear them.  Dead batteries can and do leak (it's happened to me more than once) and I don't want to risk ruining the movements. ..even if I never wear the watches again. 

Also,  I want my watchmaker to stay in business.   If my batteries can make a difference,  then I'm happy to help.   Small businesses have been devistated by the pandemic and loss of revenue.  Most of them have very limited financial reserves and despite what we hear about

programs to help them,  they are in trouble.  Skilled craftsman have all but disappeared,  so anything I can do to help someone with expertise stay in business.... I'm all for it.  I can't do much.... but I'll do what I can... especially when it's in my interest for him to stay in business.

Some people are eating out.... for the benefit of the small neighborhood restaurants... Smiley Happy.....  I'm not comfortable doing that.   This pandemic is far from over and the risks are too great.  We each do what we are comfortable with doing and what we can.

I'm not buying or watching any 'watch' shows either.   Kendy is the only host I can tolerate listening to during the programs for watches,  but the selections don't tempt me.... for oh so many reasons.   Like you,  I can 'shop' my own collection and see better watches.   At least you used to wear a watch every day,  even at home.   I only started doing that recently to get the automatics running.

Stay well.

Frequent Contributor

Hi ladies.

Glad to know you're doing ok.

Since my last time here, more issues. I developed pain under the right breast and around to the back. My PCP thought maybe gallbladder, and wanted me to go to the ER. Reluctantly I masked up and went. Lots of tests, and nada. 2 days later there was a rash. Bingo, I had shingles! It felt like someone was stabbing me. I'd had the old vaccine, but I read it was only 50% effective and wore off in about 5 years. I had gotten it in 2015. The better newer one was unavailable last year. I hear the supply is better now.

I haven't looked at my watches. I really should at least wind the automatics. I can change the batteries myself on most of the quartz watches, but some I can't. I suppose I could still try to sell some and have the post office do pickups, as I have lots of boxes and can print postage at home. 

I'm pretty much staying in. I asked my doc if I could go to the salon. I have/had short hair and used to go every 5 weeks. I look a sight! She said wait, sigh. And only eat outdoors. Too hot for that, so staying home!

Be well all.

Respected Contributor

Jazzy:  you are certainly collecting health challenges.  I hope you are doing ok now. 

I wasn't able to get the new shingles shot last year either,  and since I know a few people who had reactions, and flu like symptoms,  I wondered if I should get it now with coronavirus going around.  Do I really want flu like symptoms to worry about?

Stay home and take care.  Wind a few watches,  contemplate your collection,  stay cool.

Trusted Contributor

Hello all.

its been awhile, too long in fact.  I assume we are all around, just home and trying to stay out of trouble.  Getting old has its challenges and seems like we are presented with those daily.  Hopefully we don't have to doctor for what we are ailing with, just old age in my case.

Jazzy, I hope you get your eye problems behind you.  

LJ,  I need to get the shingles shot too.  The old one didn't work, I got a light case of the Shingles twice.  My gal friend here got a rash where she got her newest shot.  Scared her, so she's rethinking getting the 2nd shot that is due.  I don't know what to do.  I guess, like you. I will let the coronavirus pass us by awhile longer.  

This virus sure disrupts your lifestyle.  I don't go many places anyway, but those that do its crimping their lifestyle.  

I'll be so glad when this election is over, all I hear is texts and emails coming in asking for donations.  Let's get to November and be done with it.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm still living in the USA.  Looking at the news, I think not.  Too bad.  Who woulda thought??

Ok, my watch collection is mostly dead.  I only gravitate to my automatics and power cell watches now.

Ok, try to remain safe everyone.  It's an everyday challenge now.  

Frequent Contributor

Hi ladies. Just letting you know I'm still around.

Still staying in. I did get help with meds, so I'm now on Humira and Methotrexate. I'm hopeful these will work, as my vision is getting pretty bad from the cataract I have. If it continues I may not be able to drive.

One of my friends got Covid. She was visiting family, outdoors. It started to rain and she went indoors. Two of the young people there were positive and didn't tell. Imagine! Luckily she only spent a few days in the hospital and is now doing well.

LJ: I hear you on the shingles vaccine. My BFF just got his first shot and was ok. No fever or flu like symptoms. I think I'll wait.

Jena: It does seem like the world is upside down. So much antagonism, distrust and just meanness. 

Has anyone heard from JavaQueen?

Everyone stay safe. I never could have imagined this scenario we're going through in my wildest dreams.