Respected Contributor

Happy New Year to all our watch collectors.... old and new.

Share your favorite watches or those on your radar.   Ask questions.... we like to talk about watches.

For New Years Day I dusted off mySwiss Legend  Karamica... white ceramic, gold tone accents,  diamond bezel,  white mop dial.  Not very flashy,  despite the description.  But a nice watch.  Recent ads for Chanel ceramic watches motivated me to dig out this watch again.  I usually save my white ceramic for warmer months,  but with a black and white outfit for the day,  the white ceramic watch made the perfect statement!

Respected Contributor

JENA:

HELLO watch lovers.
When I purchased my Seiko Kinetic watch I don't believe anyone chimed in, admitting they owned one. Well it has a movement powered by movement and light. I've owned it now 26 months and it's gone into a 2 second jump of the second hand instead of continual running. Reading up on it, in the booklet, it states its dying. I thought they ran longer than this? Of course how long did it sit before I owned it? Now I must get this recharable battery replaced, I guess. This is a new one for me. This battery costs around 17$ or more. Just finding it on eBay, and thats the price they sell them at. Of course, it comes from France. Really??? I have to call my jeweler and see if they have a replacement (I really doubt it but they are an authorized Seiko dealer). Once I know more, I'll report back. So far my 3 ECO drive Citizen watches are running flawlessly.
Anyone around? LavJ,Aub,Java...anyone?

Jena:  I reposted your last note here in this 2020 thread.

I don't have a Seiko Kinetic,  but you might try a light treatment to see if that helps resolved the problem.  I've used it repeatedly on some of my brothers watches over the years.  

Put the watch on a table under a lamp and let it sit for a few days to recharge the watch.   Can't hurt,  might help.  Be sure to leave the lamp on the entire time.

This time of year,  a sunny window isn't a good option for strong, continuous light.    Good luck.

Trusted Contributor
  1. Hi LavJ.  I didn't see your new thread. Sorry.
  2. While we are at it, I'm going to copy Aubs post over here also
  3. @jenagal  The only Seiko watch I have is an old quartz one that was my work watch for many years because it has a sapphire crystal.  I can't tell you how many crystals on cheapie watches I ruined whacking them on things & scraping them against abrasive surfaces.  I bought the Seiko at Costco in 1995 or so for $165 (it was a splurge at the time) & it was my only watch until I retired in 2006 & though it has a dead battery right now, it's been a great watch.  Of course, it's a smaller watch than what I wear these days at about 28mm.

All I've worn for the past year or two is my Citizen Eco-Drives.  Since that defective one (A Corso) got replaced about a year ago, I've had no trouble with any of them.  I read somewhere that the batteries in Citizen Eco-Drives generally last baout 10 years or so before they need replacement.  I think you can get the replacements on Amazon, so i guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there! 

I feel bad that I have so many dead watches sitting there.  It will cost a dang fortune to replace all the batteries.  Plus, the jeweler I'd been using for years started charging $25 to replace a battery & that's way too much, especially given how many watches I have.  It's easier to just reach for my Eco-Drives!

4. Hi to you two.  Now we have a 2020 thread, and the few posts we get, I don't see the need to change it for a new thread either.  
  5. LavJ, I'm going to give it a light blast.  Will advice on how it goes.
  6. I didn't know how to copy and when I did I got into this format. I don't know what I am doing so I guess we'll have to live with it.  Lol.
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Jena:  good luck with the light treatment.  Consider it a stay in intensive care for the watch.  

As for copying a post,  I do it the old fashioned way.... highlight,  right click and select copy,  reposition the cursor,  then right click and select past.

Smiley Happy   My tech skills are somewhat limited,  but enough to get the job done.

This week I wore a Movado..... ivory colored dial,  gold dot at 12,  gold bezel, and royal blue 'croco' embossed strap.

Very thin watch,  very elegant,  about 32mm, I think.

I didn't want to wear a watch that weighed half a pound when I got on the scale at the doctors office.  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS 2020

[ Edited ]

@Lavenderjunkie wrote:

Very thin watch,  very elegant,  about 32mm, I think.

I didn't want to wear a watch that weighed half a pound when I got on the scale at the doctors office.  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

LavJ, you gave me my first laugh of the day with your last remark.  I can relate.  Now that I have eaten every bit of the Christmas candy, fruit cake (Love Grandmas FruitCake) and all the other sugar related goodies I could find, now I can concentrate on a diet.....<phew>. I have a few #s to take off, I tell you.

As far as your copy instructions, I don't think that works on an iPad.  It has its own way of doing things.  I'm lucky enough to be able to do the basics.  Lol.

Well I tried it and I can copy like you said.  All I have to do is remember what you said.  Ha ha ha. 

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Frequent Contributor

Hi ladies. I had looked some time before the new year and couldn't find a Watch Collectors thread. I'm glad you're still around.

I've been battling respiratory infections since my last cruise in November. Being on an immunosuppresant for my eyes makes me susceptible to everything! And now I have vertigo as well!

No new watches for me. I'm sure I have a lot of dead soldiers. One of these days I'll look at them. I can replace many of the batteries (especially on the Invictas) myself. I may try to unload a few on the Bay once I put new batteries in them.

Jena: I have a Casio solar watch that I couldn't get to run. Finally I left it under a small lamp in my foyer for several days and it started up. I don't wear it much, so it stays there when I'm not wearing it.

LJ: Waving! I had a Movado but didn't wear it, so I sold it. It was one of the less expensive ones.

Is Java around?

I hope everyone is doing well.

Respected Contributor

Hi Jazzy.  Sorry you are battling an infection.   Doesn't help to know that 'it's going around'.   I know at least 2 people who have had upper resp. infections for over 2 months,  and no end in sight.    

Take care,  hope you feel better soon.

Regular Contributor

A few years ago I purchased a Carrier Ballon Bleu 36mm watch. It is the same one Kate Middleton wears. It is a classic style. I wear it most of the time. I wear a different one when I play tennis.

Respected Contributor

TennisCaptain: that is a stunning watch.  I've admired it for years.  Glad you are enjoying your treasure.

Respected Contributor

It's almost May and it's been quite a few weeks.  Hope everyone is doing well.   I haven't been buying watches,  and to be honest,  the watch shows doen't entice me anymore.  I'm still addicted to Dooney shows on QVC.

I've decided I need to wear all my watches,  even in the house.   So,  I've been on a mission to put on all my automatic and mechanical watches to keep the movements in reasonable condition.   I must admit my 'wind every 3 months' is long forgotten.   I'm about half way through the automatic watch collection.  Then since I've resumed wearing watches in the house,  I'll move onto to giving my other watches some love. 

I'm also changing my handbag every few days.   It sits on the dresser,  but I get to look at it and it doesn't have to match my outfit,  I don't care if it's heavy or isn't just the right size.   I just get to enjoy the color and style.

Take care everyone.  Stop in to chat.  Smiley Happy