Honored Contributor

Super Contributor
On 9/22/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I received an email about the Vicenza jewelry day coming up. A couple of thoughts.

Why is Q selling 14k jewelry for $100 per gram when many other retailers are selling it for less? I found a great online retailer and their 14k (resin-free) is top notch quality and runs anywhere from $45-$65 per gram (depends on complexity of the piece). You can't tell me that Q couldn't get a better deal than $100/gram. If I hear David say $100/gram is a great deal one more time, I might just throw up a little in my mouth.

Of 156 pieces in the preview, 28 were listed as 14k but 10 of those were Oro Nuovo. IMHO, Oro Nuovo is gold clad since it has to have the resin to survive. Yes, I know the sale pitch about these pieces having enough gold to stand on their own but I don't buy it. I'm pretty well versed on gold and gemstones and, based on the price, you can closely estimate the gold content (and it isn't much).

It looks like it'll be a bronzo, resin, silver, and clad day at the Q.

Well said. I hope the Q listens and remedies the situation.

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:
On 9/23/2014 stevieb said:
On 9/23/2014 funwun said:
On 9/22/2014 stevieb said:

They should be ashamed to keep using the name. They've relegated this once proud line to nothing more than essentially costume jewelry comprised of too many bronze, crystal and fake diamond pieces. I love jewelry but no long consider these shows as 'must' viewing. In fact, I rarely even bother to tune them in anymore. I'm just not interested in most of this stuff, nor in seeing the hosts, and especially the buyer, trying to convince me that this stuff is anything other than what it is.

Hi Stevie, Mom and I first tried Bronzo when it was a new line at the Q...both of us had problems with it tarnishing, which quite frankly, was one of its best selling points in my opinion! Crystals set in silver is so strange to me as well...they definitely are reminiscent of costume jewelry I can find locally at much lower pricing. There are also a ton of Oro Nuovo ( if thats your thing) pieces at TJMAXX up here...also at a lower pricepoint. Honestly, I only watch for a nice silver (nonclad) or gold piece to pop up...occasionally I find something, but not often. The Vicenza shows are significantly lacking, I must agree!

Hey fun... I think what really took the cake for me was they sent Lisa to Italy, had her all dressed up and sitting there selling mostly bronze and crystals and other costume pieces... Don't get me wrong, I love the shows from Italy, but still, let's face it, there is affordable gold, silver and gemstone jewelry out there... Unfortunately, it appears the buyers are fixated on this stuff and can't seem to move past it... I like some bronze and some filled, but I also like silver, gold, garnets, citrines, and so on and on... It all gets back to the Q's across the board refusal to offer essential variety in their product mix and in the programming.

Reminds me of their fixation on drusy.....and before that it was opaque gems that were mostly junk rocks.

They pick a gemstone, apparently insist all their vendors use it run it into the ground and them move on to the next one... Drusy, black spinel, Sleeping Beauty... I guess they buy a gross of whatever it is on the cheap... I miss the days when many gemstones were well represented and there were more gem shows than the once in a blue moon they now offer. Their jewelry programming has really gone downhill badly and their efforts to revitalize it with this stuff are falling flat with me. I used to love almost all their jewelry shows, now I watch very few of them, even though they aren't on nearly as often.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Let's not forget gold in every color imaginable.

Super Contributor
On 9/24/2014 stevieb said:
On 9/23/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:
On 9/23/2014 stevieb said:
On 9/23/2014 funwun said:
On 9/22/2014 stevieb said:

They should be ashamed to keep using the name. They've relegated this once proud line to nothing more than essentially costume jewelry comprised of too many bronze, crystal and fake diamond pieces. I love jewelry but no long consider these shows as 'must' viewing. In fact, I rarely even bother to tune them in anymore. I'm just not interested in most of this stuff, nor in seeing the hosts, and especially the buyer, trying to convince me that this stuff is anything other than what it is.

Hi Stevie, Mom and I first tried Bronzo when it was a new line at the Q...both of us had problems with it tarnishing, which quite frankly, was one of its best selling points in my opinion! Crystals set in silver is so strange to me as well...they definitely are reminiscent of costume jewelry I can find locally at much lower pricing. There are also a ton of Oro Nuovo ( if thats your thing) pieces at TJMAXX up here...also at a lower pricepoint. Honestly, I only watch for a nice silver (nonclad) or gold piece to pop up...occasionally I find something, but not often. The Vicenza shows are significantly lacking, I must agree!

Hey fun... I think what really took the cake for me was they sent Lisa to Italy, had her all dressed up and sitting there selling mostly bronze and crystals and other costume pieces... Don't get me wrong, I love the shows from Italy, but still, let's face it, there is affordable gold, silver and gemstone jewelry out there... Unfortunately, it appears the buyers are fixated on this stuff and can't seem to move past it... I like some bronze and some filled, but I also like silver, gold, garnets, citrines, and so on and on... It all gets back to the Q's across the board refusal to offer essential variety in their product mix and in the programming.

Reminds me of their fixation on drusy.....and before that it was opaque gems that were mostly junk rocks.

They pick a gemstone, apparently insist all their vendors use it run it into the ground and them move on to the next one... Drusy, black spinel, Sleeping Beauty... I guess they buy a gross if whatever it is on the cheap... I miss the days when many gemstones were well represented and there were more gem shows than the once in a blue moon they now offer. Their jewelry programming has really gone downhill badly and their efforts to revitalize it with the stuff are falling flat with me. I used to love almost all their jewelry shows, now I watch very few of them, even though they aren't on nearly as often.

I, too, miss the old gemstone shows! I just perused what was being presented in the early AM hours...same ole, same ole! I think they would probably be better off having 2 fabulous gold days a year..with nice gold in 3 categories: the smaller, inexpensive pieces....the mid-range, moderately priced pieces...and the larger, more expensive pieces. Keep the individual Bronzo shows for those who do like it and have Vicenza Silver shows for the silver lovers ( there's no excuse with the silver, prices aren't THAT high). Gold prices have dropped significantly within the last few years, although still relatively high, I'm sure the Q buyers could do much better...and I'm not talking about Oro Nuovo lol!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm still trying to figure out how this could be $90.00! LINK

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

I just came back from a vacation in Italy to visit family. We went to Florence while we were there. Ponte Vecchio is lined with jewelry stores. About 95% of what we saw was 18K gold jewelry (the gold standard in Italy is 18K gold .... you cannot buy 14k gold in Italy) Absolutely stunning!! Our 10th wedding anniversary was this past September 19th so we bought matching, custom-made 18k gold wedding bands. I love 14k gold but much prefer the 18K gold. That being said, I will not buy any jewelry from QVC because not only is their jewelry over-priced but I do not want resin filled gold jewelry or gold clad jewelry or bronze jewelry ... and I don't care much for silver jewelry. No, I am not a wealthy woman so I do not buy jewelry all that often. But when I do want to purchase jewelry I save up for it until I have enough to buy it.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/22/2014 shoptheQ said:

This is why I buy Carolyn Pollack's jewelry - real silver, real gemstones - great designs !

I enjoyed her show this morning.

I agree....i will check out any sterling silver items at this point....and maybe an Eterna gold piece................i also enjoy Carolyn Pollacks items....but am disappointed at alot of the "doublet and triplet" items which only display a small slice of the original gemstones that she has been presenting....but will still tune in for her........................ but just can't see spending the asking prices for the bronzo, plated, etc. costume jewelry.