Respected Contributor

Re: Very poor Jewelry shipping and customer service

OP here. Could not get to jeweler today. Have tried, everything- baby powder, corn starch, safety pin, tweezers. Nothing works.

QVC cheesy packing is terrible.

Honored Contributor

I ordered a beautiful pair of 18k gold earrings...arte d oro and they came in a plastic bag. Where are the green velvet boxes from a few years ago? No free shipping either...yet the prices have skyrocketed. Loved the earrings but a cheap cardboard box with earrings put in plastic bags?

Trusted Contributor

I bought a diamond ring and received it with the center diamond missing.  When I called CS I was literally blown off like it was a bother to them.  Nearly $1000 and they can't be bothered taking my call.  I will take my shopping $$$ elsewhere - meanwhile there is a ring on its way back to the Q and it's been in transit since the end of October.  My rant is over Woman Frustrated  I just want my money back!!!!

Frequent Contributor

I believe the plastic bags have to do with the way QVC receives the items.  When you purchase jewelry wholesale, it does not come in a pretty box.  It comes in the plastic zip lock bags.  Jewelers repackage items in boxes thay they usually provide (some jewelry brands also provide branded jewelry boxes, like the ones you often get on QVC, but the jewelry does not come in those boxed from the manufacturer.) Every time a person has to handle an item, the cost to the company increases.  In other words, QVC has to pay the person that would take the items out of the bag and place them into the presentation box.  It is also more likely they would get the items wrong without those bags to guide them.  So, the most cost effective and safest procedure is for them to ship the piece of jewelry in the original plastic bag.

Putting those necklaces in a box out of the plastic bag isn't going to keep that chain from knotting.  During the shipping process it is quite likely the chain will be shaken loose from any "anchors" in the box, and if it is just a box with those little anchoring tabs it is the same as a bag anyway.

If you don't like the plastic bag, take it out before you give the item as a gift.  I personally don't have ANY problem with the plastic bag, it protects the jewelry.  But I do know folks like to have their items packaged with a little care and with a nice presentation.  I make some jewelry that I sell iin our store (not a jewelry store, but I sell my stuff!) and on etsy.  I make a real effort to make the presentation nice. It increases the PERCEIVED value of the item.

My husband has some really nice pieces that he designs made for me at a nearby jewelry manufacturer.  I NEVER get a presentation box, and some of these are REALLY nice pieces of jewelry (his hobby is collecting gemstones and designing jewelry.  I am one LUCKY PERSON!!!) These pieces come in zip lock bags packed in bubble wrap.

Honored Contributor

@Major Shopper wrote:

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Just wanted to offer a tip to untangle chains in case you like what you got and want to keep it. If you sprinkle powder (I use baby powder) on the chain, the knot loosens very easily.

Hope this works for you so you can save the trip to the jeweler! Best of luck!

@Major Shopper Thanks for the tipWoman Very Happy