Respected Contributor

****UPDATE : Yellowed Opals from Michael V GEMS en Vogue

*** They would NOT replace the center opal on my GEV ring.  Although Michael emailed me and said he would personally evaluate it and replace it,  the factory said it came into contact with some sort of aqueos liquid!?. 

The missing small stone was replaced.  ring cleaned and polished and it looks slightly brighter tiny bit more sparkley. (see factory pic) completed customs form, sent by international post  and a check to Nathan Hennick (the GEV factory) for repair. cost was around $30 total. 

i took a look at Shop HQ's GEV "event"  and seems  there were issues w at least one of his band rings with small opals completely losing their color and stones falling out.

N&H_GEV.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: ****UPDATE : Yellowed Opals from Michael V GEMS en Vogue

@CatsyCline   Thanks for the follow-up.  It's always interesting to know how these situations are resolved.  I'm sorry they didnt do more for you. I don't wear my ring much but I will be very careful with it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Well, many people buy those Ethiopian opals and dye them a different color, so you can just pretend you now have a yellow opal!

I am too hard on my jewelry to ever wear such a soft stone in a ring.  I have opal earrings, and a mosaic opal triplet ring (opal covered both top and bottom), but that is as far as I will go.

I do admire all the beautiful colors in the opal stones!

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyClineI'm sorry to hear it didn't work out like you wanted.  At least you gave it the good ol college try.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

So sorry that you have had an issue.

Many people don't realize that very few stones can be worn when doing house work and applying lotion.  

Diamonds highest on the Mohs scale of hardness and we're accustomed to have seen the women in our families wear them all day.

After hurting my sciatic nerve at Dillards following teaching, I worked with a gemologist and we sold some Levian.  

A woman came in with a green amethyst Levian ring, and the stone looked like a dull green (lime) sherbet!

She had been washing dishes in the ring.  Softer gems absorb soap!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@CatsyCline 

So sorry that you have had an issue.

Many people don't realize that very few stones can be worn when doing house work and applying lotion.  

Diamonds highest on the Mohs scale of hardness and we're accustomed to have seen the women in our families wear them all day.

After hurting my sciatic nerve at Dillards following teaching, I worked with a gemologist and we sold some Levian.  

A woman came in with a green amethyst Levian ring, and the stone looked like a dull green (lime) sherbet!

She had been washing dishes in the ring.  Softer gems absorb soap!

@ECBG   i did not expose my ring to soap or water or any sort of liquid!!

Honored Contributor

Somewhere the word "aquaeous" was used with this ring.  That's water.  No way do I ever take my rings off when I wash my hands, especially out in public.  If a stone can't withstand water its not for me.  A warning should be posted online and on all air presentations.  

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Somewhere the word "aquaeous" was used with this ring.  That's water.  No way do I ever take my rings off when I wash my hands, especially out in public.  If a stone can't withstand water its not for me.  A warning should be posted online and on all air presentations.  

@depglass    that's  what MV's "Factory" said , they gave the reason as Aqueous.  but no liquid ever touched that ring. Having researched a bit it seems that Welos can be exposed to a bit of  water and even soap and water, dry out and are fine.

i even emailed back and forth with his his CS and stated that my ring and opal had never been in contact with soap, water, any sort of liquid.  no pools, hot tubs. never put in jewelry cleaner.

after the whole rigamarole i am done with MV!!  this was the only piece of jewelry i ever ordered from him.   the stone itself was probably defective, and not all of the small stones yellowed, only about half.

just my thoughts,  to ensure customer satisfaction going forward, they could have easily replaced the center stone at the very least, and possibly the one-pointers.