Super Contributor

Just saw a segment on the Today Show proclaiming Chalk as a means of keeping silver shiny.   Has anyone tried this?   They showed a piece of chalk in a jewelry box as a deterrent for tarnishing.   Never heard of this before.   Does this really work?

Respected Contributor

Me either

Honored Contributor

That's a new one.  But if Matt Lauer said it, it must be true.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Yes! Believe it or not, it does work reasonably well. I inherited a beautiful sterling bracelet from my grandmother and it was stored in a box with chalk. Bracelet looked good but I decided to get it professionally cleaned as well as to check the settings. Ever since, I've kept in the same box with two pieces of chalk and it still looks good. I give it a little extra buffing with a silver cloth before I wear it as I like it to really shine. I prefer Lori's boxes overall but chalk does do the trick, believe it or not. 

Respected Contributor

I will have to go to D---ar  T--e and get some chalk.  Am I not alone...I have never heard of this?

Super Contributor

Just googled it -- chalk absorbs sulfur compounds. I'm not saying it is perfect but it worked for me and my grandmother! Smiley Happy