Regular Contributor

To spend or not spend the money on an expensive watch?

I love jewelry and watches. I have several watches with the most expensive one being $400. That has been my max on either Movado or Bulovas. The others are an assortment of Michael Kors, Sthurling, and Invictas, as well as some from QVC. I enjoy alternating my watches and utilziing my watch wardrobe. This is why I'm torn over whether or not to spend the money on a David Yurman watch that is in the thousands. I've been eyeing it for years and just turmed 50 last month and am tempted to make the big splurge for Christmas. But part of me feels it's just so expensive and since I already have others, why do it at all? I would love your thoughts/feedback. Thank you! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: To spend or not spend the money on an expensive watch?

If you've been "eyeing it for years" . . . and still love it, go for it! You've turned 50 and it's Christmas!!

A well-made, beautiful watch is timeless (no pun intended) and will be worn for the rest of your life. ENJOY it and put it in your Will for a daughter, granddaughter or niece to receive as a forever memory. 

Happy 50th Birthday and Merry Christmas!! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Go for it! Life is too short....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

l say go for it! You clearly love watches, have a passion for them, wear them often and so don't deny yourself this little pleasure. Buy it now, it's overdue. You're asking for permission, and you got it.

As @Nataliesgramma  said, "Life IS too short" Someone very close to me died very unexpectedly at 32, never reached your special milestone! Don't save it for special occasions either! Wearing it often will make you feel better about the purchase. I don't care how luxurious it is...Enjoy it and wear it frequently!

Let us know when you take the plunge. And pictures please. Happy belated birthday 🥳. @Glorimar 

Honored Contributor

It's not aways what we want, it's whether we can afford it considing unexpected future expenses.  

As long as I could afford it, I never felt guilty buying something I wanted.  

Honored Contributor

if you have the money and can pay for it, why not

I like bags with Initals 

Honored Contributor

I wore a watch (I have several) every day....until I retired. I haven't worn one since.

Esteemed Contributor

Can you afford it? If yes get it. You only live once and celebrate 50 once. Enjoy your watch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar wrote:

I love jewelry and watches. I have several watches with the most expensive one being $400. That has been my max on either Movado or Bulovas. The others are an assortment of Michael Kors, Sthurling, and Invictas, as well as some from QVC. I enjoy alternating my watches and utilziing my watch wardrobe. This is why I'm torn over whether or not to spend the money on a David Yurman watch that is in the thousands. I've been eyeing it for years and just turmed 50 last month and am tempted to make the big splurge for Christmas. But part of me feels it's just so expensive and since I already have others, why do it at all? I would love your thoughts/feedback. Thank you! 

@Glorimar   My answer is not about the cost, but more about DY. I've had his cuffs,earrings, etc. I'm not sure he's as well known for watches. Be sure it comes with a long warranty and find out what the cost would be for repairs. Most of his items have to sent back to his factories and I've waited 3-4 months for items to return. 

Most importantly HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Esteemed Contributor

@Glorimar: like you, I have a collection of watches, from IML! ceramics (3) to high end with diamonds and 14K. Also like you, i used my 50th birthday $ to splurge on a watch: a Concord SS & 14K with diamond markers on the gold bezel. I enjoy wearing it often. The many compliments received over the years are a bonus.

Concord is a brand known for top quality watches. David Yurman is known for jewelry. 

Your birthday, your choice. Whatever you decide, wear it in good health. 

As an aside, my brother is a high earner and well known in his field of work. He is also pretty frugal. Clearly watches are not his "thing". He said he would never pay more than $50.00 or so on a watch. He probably has only one, LOL!

The only down side of collecting watches is that invariably there is always at least one that needs for the battery to be replaced at any given time.