Respected Contributor

Re: To spend or not spend the money on an expensive watch?

I haven't read the other responses but you seem to be waffeling on weather to spend the larger amount on the watch when you have others.  Would you consider selling some of your watch wardrobe to make room for that expensive timepiece?  Just considering it may shed light on what you really want to do.

It's your happiness.  Have a hapy Birthday and many more!

Honored Contributor

@Glorimar I've been thinking about this.  And I have a question:  Why would you care what we think about how you spend your money?  

Do you care how others spend their money?  Does it matter to you if someone is poor or loaded and what they choose to buy?

Just something I was thinking and maybe that is the crux of the question here.  Not about what watch to buy!  

It comes up a lot here.  It's why I'm tossing the subject out.  

Honored Contributor

@Glorimar @David Yurman is a brand that is not as popular as it once was. Save your money. 

Trusted Contributor

@Glorimar wrote:

I love jewelry and watches. I have several watches with the most expensive one being $400. That has been my max on either Movado or Bulovas. The others are an assortment of Michael Kors, Sthurling, and Invictas, as well as some from QVC. I enjoy alternating my watches and utilziing my watch wardrobe. This is why I'm torn over whether or not to spend the money on a David Yurman watch that is in the thousands. I've been eyeing it for years and just turmed 50 last month and am tempted to make the big splurge for Christmas. But part of me feels it's just so expensive and since I already have others, why do it at all? I would love your thoughts/feedback. Thank you! 

It depends on how much money you have. Go for it if you can buy it without having to sacrifice. If that is not the case, look around for a good copy that is not overly expensive, but looks like it is. There are a lot of beautiful watches for less money. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I purchased a Cartier Ballon Bleu watch almost 5 years ago. I never regretted it. It was expensive, but I wear it almost every day except when playing tennis or hiking. It is exactly my style. If you can afford it, you should treat yourself.
Respected Contributor

If you can afford it without worrying, I say go for it. The past 18 months taught me not to wait to do something joyful when I can do it now.
Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I own a luxury watch I have loved forever and wore every day! It was well worth what I paid. However, now I need to wear my smart watch because it detects falls and calls for help😢
Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Regular Contributor

I eyed and was drawn to a Cartier tank watch for literally years. Finally pulled the trigger several years ago and have loved and worn that watch ever since. Got rid of my others. Each time I notice it, I'm so very glad I went for it. Just do it. If you are still drawn to this watch, and the "time is right", so to speak, ignore the other noise and advice about looking elsewhere, etc, and treat yourself. I have never been sorry for one minute. Good luck, and enjoy the h*ll out of it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with everyone who said that if you can afford it why not get it?!!  Life is short and though it may not be the most practical of things to buy who cares if it makes you happy!!

ETA: Thinking back to my 50th (17 years ago), I spent a few thousand on a small party for myself.  I rented a stretch limo and took several girlfriends to the Plaza in NYC for a nice birthday brunch.  I have memories and pictures of a great time....you'll have a beautiful watch!

Occasional Contributor

Go for it! I turned 50 this year too & went full 'mid-life crisis' mode and ordered a sports car. Life's too short!