Valued Contributor

Re: To spend or not spend the money on an expensive watch?

IMO, if you have had your eye on that watch for years and love it, as long as you feel financially you can swing it, go for it.

I have found that when I really want an item but it is very expensive so I choose something less so, I am just not happy in the end.  Might as well not have gotten anything.

I also love watches and still adore a Rolex my husband gifted me with probably 25 years ago.  FYI, those watches increase in price over the years.

Trusted Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

IMO, if you have had your eye on that watch for years and love it, as long as you feel financially you can swing it, go for it.

I have found that when I really want an item but it is very expensive so I choose something less so, I am just not happy in the end.  Might as well not have gotten anything.

I also love watches and still adore a Rolex my husband gifted me with probably 25 years ago.  FYI, those watches increase in price over the years.

My words exactly!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar wrote:

I love jewelry and watches. I have several watches with the most expensive one being $400. That has been my max on either Movado or Bulovas. The others are an assortment of Michael Kors, Sthurling, and Invictas, as well as some from QVC. I enjoy alternating my watches and utilziing my watch wardrobe. This is why I'm torn over whether or not to spend the money on a David Yurman watch that is in the thousands. I've been eyeing it for years and just turmed 50 last month and am tempted to make the big splurge for Christmas. But part of me feels it's just so expensive and since I already have others, why do it at all? I would love your thoughts/feedback. Thank you! 

I say go for it too.   This is not an impulse purchase, you have been looking at it for years.  It makes you happy get itSmiley Happy And happy happy birthdaySmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you can afford it and it’s in the budget, I say get it and enjoy it. Life is short and sometimes, every once in awhile, it’s about making us happy.  ❤️🙏🏻

Happy Birthday, May you be blessed today and always 

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much ladies for your opinions and feedback. I realize for the money it makes sense to spend it on a brand known for quality watches like Rolex or Cartier. But they make smaller watches and I like larger wathces; I don't believe they make anything beyond a 36 mm case and they are signifcantly more expensive than what I'm willing to spend. The DY I'm eyeing is 38 mm which is my preferred size. And also, since I have so many watches I don't  bother to fix the batteries on them. I just look at my iphone for the time. So for me, it really is about the jewelry aspect of it vs. the superb fucntionaltiy of the watch itself. What I love about the DY watch is that it is elegant, sophisticated, yet simple and refined. It makes a statement without being over the top. And becasue it's not a known watch brand it draws your attention to it. I think in wrrting this I'm convincing mnyself to go for it!  LOlL

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the advice-- if you can afford it, get it.  

1.  you've wanted it for years

2.  it's a milestone bday.  I always like to get something special on the big ones!  

3.  wear it and love it!

Happy Birthday!  I am also a 1971 baby!!  I bought myself a pair of diamond earrings.  I wear them everyday and I LOVE THEM!  I don't regret the splurge at all.   

Honored Contributor

She buy it ?  I check in to see what she does. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar  If you can easily afford it and like it enough that you've wanted it for years, then it seems worth considering seriously. That said, I know at least a few high end jeweler who aren't overly impressed with Yurman's jewelry. They recognize it's been a commercial success so are happy to carry the line, but are clear it isn't among their personal choices for top fine jewerly.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Glorimar wrote:

I love jewelry and watches. I have several watches with the most expensive one being $400. That has been my max on either Movado or Bulovas. The others are an assortment of Michael Kors, Sthurling, and Invictas, as well as some from QVC. I enjoy alternating my watches and utilziing my watch wardrobe. This is why I'm torn over whether or not to spend the money on a David Yurman watch that is in the thousands. I've been eyeing it for years and just turmed 50 last month and am tempted to make the big splurge for Christmas. But part of me feels it's just so expensive and since I already have others, why do it at all? I would love your thoughts/feedback. Thank you! 

@Glorimar  You only turn 50 once. You love the watch. Go for it with no regrets. You are worth that and more. Happy shopping.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

101_0043-1.jpeg

I wanted, I got LOL