Respected Contributor

Re: To spend or not spend the money on an expensive watch?

First, happy birthday.

I totally get having an eye on something for a while. There are things I admire but that doesn't mean I go through with getting it (even if I have the money) and there have been times I'm really glad I didn't.

As far as being able to afford something - that's relative. My take on that is following the experts advice about making sure you have 1 year's salary in the bank, a year's supply of food and other essentials for each person in the household. This is becoming much more important each passing day and will be more valuable than any material possession.

I also have more than one watch but couldn't tell you the last time I wore any of them. I also didn't spend much on them either - they all tell the same time no matter the price.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Glorimar: like you, I have a collection of watches, from IML! ceramics (3) to high end with diamonds and 14K. Also like you, i used my 50th birthday $ to splurge on a watch: a Concord SS & 14K with diamond markers on the gold bezel. I enjoy wearing it often. The many compliments received over the years are a bonus.

Concord is a brand known for top quality watches. David Yurman is known for jewelry. 

Your birthday, your choice. Whatever you decide, wear it in good health. 

As an aside, my brother is a high earner and well known in his field of work. He is also pretty frugal. Clearly watches are not his "thing". He said he would never pay more than $50.00 or so on a watch. He probably has only one, LOL!

The only down side of collecting watches is that invariably there is always at least one that needs for the battery to be replaced at any given time.

@queendiva   I have severalwatches that don't require batteries, but I have a case plugged in that keeps them moving so always the correct time/date...except when months lose or gain a day. 

Respected Contributor

I have to agree with @Shanus. If I am going to spend big bucks on a watch I would rather purchase a watch from a company known for their watches. Look at Yurman bracelets. Maybe there is one that you really like instead of the watch. Or better yet, look at watches from watch companies for the amount you are willing to spend, there is one that you might like as much. In the end, do what makes you happy you deserve it.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who question buying a David Yurman watch.  If you like him, why not buy a bracelet?

For a watch that cost over a thousand dollars, I would buy a Rolex or Cartier.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

@Glorimar 

Why not if you can afford it.

I hope you wear it in good health for many years.

Honored Contributor

@Glorimar wrote:

I love jewelry and watches. I have several watches with the most expensive one being $400. That has been my max on either Movado or Bulovas. The others are an assortment of Michael Kors, Sthurling, and Invictas, as well as some from QVC. I enjoy alternating my watches and utilziing my watch wardrobe. This is why I'm torn over whether or not to spend the money on a David Yurman watch that is in the thousands. I've been eyeing it for years and just turmed 50 last month and am tempted to make the big splurge for Christmas. But part of me feels it's just so expensive and since I already have others, why do it at all? I would love your thoughts/feedback. Thank you! 

@Glorimar I would say since you have not bought watches in the past that are really super expensive, go for a Yurman.  They are not nearly in the ballpark that a Rolex or Cartier watch is, and that way you will have more money down the road to buy something else that catches your eye. 

Also, the design is probably not as well known to any potential robbers on the street, which is a big plus in today's world.  

I have Yurman jewelry from when it started (my first reaction was no way am I paying that for silver) and it is my most worn pieces except for wedding rings and diamond studs, and pearls.  I have a LOT of pearls and have always worn them.

Whatever you buy, enjoy!  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe consider a dealer that deals in refurbished previously loved watches.  If it were me I'd buy a maker known for fine watches, not fine jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I vote yes! Love David yurman!

Honored Contributor

You are reaching a milestone and if it would bring you joy you should definitely get it. I see no point in putting off things that bring us pleasure. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go for it if that is your heart's desire.  Do not settle for anything less as You will NEVER be satisfied.  I have done that before and lived to regret not following what I really wanted; so good money wasted. 

I have spent several thousand dollars on a solid platinum watch with 2 carats of diamonds that are high quality and never need a battery.  Also, the same thing with a 14k solid gold one with 1.65 carats of fine quality diamonds and never needs a battery. 

The most expensive purchase was an art deco solid platinum with an old European cut 1.65 ct diamond.   I almost did not purchase it and was going to buy one that was a lot less money until hubs told me to buy what made me happy. I then decided to go with my dream ring as this would be my last large purchase for some time. Now when I look back I see that for the price I could never replace it as prices have skyrocketed. Again I was glad I went with it and did not settle for less.

I was so happy now when I look back that I purchased what I wanted rather than buying something a lot less.

If you have the money then no reason on this green earth you are not worth it. You will be happy you did years from now when you look back.