Respected Contributor

Re: This is bracelet losing season

Winter. No Bracelets, no rings (gloves). no gold earrings even (scarves).   Just not worth the anxiety. even necklaces i don't bother with. don't like the magnetic claps.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lost a 14K gold hoop in the backyard and searched and searched in the snow. Many years later there it was in the yard. I had 3 dogs and lots of tramping around so I figured I'd never find it but I did. 

Another time I wore my grandmothers 100 year old necklace to a dinner and happened to look down and it was on the floor, whew. I never wore it again. It was specially made for her with gold and gemstones by her husband. She died young so it has special meaning to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last year I lost a gold with diamonds hoop somewhere in the snow.  I know it had “clicked closed” so I don’t know what happened.  

I know there are safety chains for the findings on necklaces, and I have purchased a couple.  I also read somewhere where you can use a safety pin to attach to keep necklace ends together.

I will wear gold earrings out,  but not precious gem earrings.

And I have purchased white topaz earrings and some pretties with stones from Etsy.  Crystal earrings are also pretty.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Don't forget elastic or expandable bracelets.  Many years ago I had an expandable white metal bracelet (maybe stainless steel) with tiny diamonique stations on it. I lost it trying on coats while shopping.

The bracelet was not expensive  but I liked it.

@PinkyPetunia 

I lost a diamond pendant necklace that way.  I guess I was not paying attention and when I got home, did not think about it.  Made dinner and the next day, was trying to remember last time I had seen it.  I recalled wearing it into the dressing room and went to my jewelry box, looked all over the house, could not find it.  Went to the store and they said they had not seen it.  Sure.  I am sure if anyone found it, they did not report it.  C'est la vie.

Honored Contributor

I just had a handmade bangle drop out of my jewelry amoire and am still searching!!!  Rats!

Trusted Contributor

Not to mention the earrings I have lost because they get caught in my scarf and then get pulled out. Sometimes I get lucky and find it in my car, but I don't wear earrings much in the winter. I have also had rings fall off due to the cold. 

@depglass wrote:

I've lost two gold bracelets in the past, due to coming open and falling from winter coat sleeves.  Just last week I wore a sturdy kick-stand bangle and wouldn't you know, it caught on the cuff and clattered to the floor.  So I will add kick stands to the styles of box insert clasps that don't get worn in the winter.  That leaves lobster claws and C rings..  

Honored Contributor

My "statement" look since college is an arm full of ass't. bangles with my watch...all round so no clasps. 

They do make a bump under my heavier sweaters. There isn't much need for a very heavy coat here. I get by with a BD long cardi, a puffer vest or wool/cashmere blazer with sleeves rolled up a bit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I lost a 14K gold hoop in the backyard and searched and searched in the snow. Many years later there it was in the yard. I had 3 dogs and lots of tramping around so I figured I'd never find it but I did. 

Another time I wore my grandmothers 100 year old necklace to a dinner and happened to look down and it was on the floor, whew. I never wore it again. It was specially made for her with gold and gemstones by her husband. She died young so it has special meaning to me. 

@luvmyteddy4 

I lost an 18K hoop (the pair was on sale for $600 when I got them).  Never found the other.  I lost it outside, I am sure.  I put them on, walked over to my neighbor's to take mail to her that had been inadvertently left at my house.  She invited me in for tea (as we are friends).  I left about an hour later  Got home, looked in the mirror and realized I did not have the hoop.  She looked all over her house in the area I had been and could not find it.  I looked from my bedroom to the kitchen and out the door and did not find it.  It was winter and the grass was yellow so it could have blended in.  We never found it.  Grass has been cut hundreds of times.  Never found it.  That was the second hoop I had lost and now I have two hoops without mates.

I think I am just not a good jewelry person.  Neither my mother, my DIL or my daughter has ever lost a piece of jewelry.  My DIL did lose a couple diamonds out of a bracelet I lent her once but she never told me and had them replaced before she returned it.

Honored Contributor

I'm usually pretty good unless it's a toggle clasp. I only wear those in the summer when I can keep an eye on them. They can be a disaster with long sleeves and getting in and out of a coat.

Esteemed Contributor

So sad to hear about people losing jewelry, especially jewelry with sentimental value and of course value overall. I've done similar things with bracelets and earrrings too in the winter. Get them caught on the sleeve or on a scarf and poof gone. When we were wearing masks for covid, I started wearing stud earrrings if I was going out as an alternative to hoops that could catch on the ear loops. I save my big earrings/hoops for wearing inside.