Honored Contributor

This is bracelet losing season

I've lost two gold bracelets in the past, due to coming open and falling from winter coat sleeves.  Just last week I wore a sturdy kick-stand bangle and wouldn't you know, it caught on the cuff and clattered to the floor.  So I will add kick stands to the styles of box insert clasps that don't get worn in the winter.  That leaves lobster claws and C rings..  

Honored Contributor

Re: This is bracelet losing season

I could see how a magnetic clasp bracelet could also easily get caught on a coat and come undone also.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

So true.  I lost a kickstand Jai bangle a few weeks ago.  I know it fell off when I was somewhere outside and that was why I didn't hear it fall.  I remember I once lost a bracelet when there was several inches of snow on the ground; I assume that muffled the noise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I could see how a magnetic clasp bracelet could also easily get caught on a coat and come undone also.

@Kachina624 

My son and his wife gave me a precious 14K gold chain and an antique 18K gold encased sapphire with diamonds pendant.  I put a magnetic clasp on it.  I was working on the TV box one day and the magnetic attraction took the necklace and the chain inside and it was all broken up.  We never found the sapphire pendant for years and when the housekeeper was vacuuming when we moved the piece of furniture it was resting on, she found the sapphire pendant caugh up in the back of the piece of furniture, on a splinter-like area.  I do not recommend magnetic anything for jewelry.

Prior to that, which should have been a lesson:  I was wearing a 14k gold curb link bracelet when I saw a man trying to get into an elevator (I could tell he had dementia or some kind of mental issue).  I ran to the elevator to help him.  When I grabbed the elevator to keep it from hitting him as it transcended, the magnetic part caught on the elevator, grabbed my bracelet and went to the basement.  I asked the manager to help me retrieve my bracelet.  They had to have the elevator company get it which cost them a lot and they were none too happy with me as a client.

Respected Contributor

I had so much bad luck losing nice bracelets that I stopped wearing them. They just fall off my wrists or catch on something and get pulled off. My solution for bracelet losing season is to wear the stretchy ones and stack them so they are dramatic. Heidi Daus had some great ones, but I have not checked her designs lately. I know QVC has a large offering of the stretchy guys as well.

My other rule is take off all jewelry as soon as I arrive back home. I do the same with my better clothing. Years ago my friend spilled bleach onto her quite expensive "Elvis" monogrammed  jeans. She taught me a valuable lesson that day.

Respected Contributor

Don't forget elastic or expandable bracelets.  Many years ago I had an expandable white metal bracelet (maybe stainless steel) with tiny diamonique stations on it. I lost it trying on coats while shopping.

The bracelet was not expensive  but I liked it.

Respected Contributor

@depglass 

That is frustrating to lose jewelry.  I've also discovered cuff bracelets that were a bit too big in the inside sleeve of my top and or jacket.  Meant they were not for me and lucky they didn't drop to the ground.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday    And I thought magnetic necklaces were. safe.  I guess not necessarily.

Honored Contributor

@On It    I've worn the same bangles for over 20 years 24/7.  I've never lost or damaged a single one.

Regular Contributor

Years ago QVC sold a beautiful 14K gold and green jade bracelet.  They also offered a matching ring.  I purchased both and loved wearing them often.  One day as I was removing my jewelry (after having several errands and appointments) I realized I was missing the bracelet.  I called all the places where I had been to see if it was found.  No luck. Hope it was found and it is being worn with love. I look on eBay often to see if perhaps I can find the same but so far to no avail.  I also lost a costly gold bangle at another time.  Now I just look at my lovely jewelry in the jewelry boxes - not worth the risk of losing or looking down a million times to ensure the jewelry is in place. So be careful of your jewelry in this fast pace world.