Honored Contributor

Re: Things Q doesn't seen to offer (or much) any more...looking back...what do you remember?

I miss the collectible shows, Fenton, Boyd's, the different dolls, for examples.  At the time collectibles were a big sell but in time that market passed its peak.  I also enjoyed Linda Dano's home decor shows, there was always something I liked.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Things Q doesn't seen to offer (or much) any more...looking back...what do you remember?

If we're talking jewelry I miss Beverly Hills Silver (and gold), Brilliant Beads and the beautiful silver Italian enameled jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I miss . . .

Being able to buy a nice gemstone piece set in 14kt gold for under $150.

The Elegance of 18kt Gold shows with Pat Dementri.

The 4 hour (once a month) Diamonique shows with Kathy Levine.

The live gold shows from Italy.

Jose Hess for Diamonique.

Beverly Hills Gold.

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen saltwater cultured pearls in the past on QVC. At one time I owned two strands of Mikimoto pearls but for everyday wear much prefer Shell pearls ( several vendors on EBay). These are manmade from real nacre into which a center bead is dipped ( individually knotted and very reasonable price).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CaChica @lmt  In addition to the items mentioned, there were more that I enjoyed watching. I started watching in 1992 and

bought so much. They had great values at great prices. They had

things that you did not see elsewhere.

In particular, I liked the shows that featured hosts going to

where gems were mined and showing footage filmed in other countries. Opals from Australia was one.

Of course the gold shows, live from Italy with Lisa R.

wearing gorgeous designer gowns.

All the gem shows with Kathy Levine, especially when she went to the amethyst mine in Brazil.

The best Joan Rivers shows were when she paired with

Kathy Levine. They were hysterical together.

Vendors came from other countries like Russia, I bought amber jewelry, Bali, I bought batik clothing, China, I bought jade. All the great St. Patrick's day shows with dancers and film footage of Ireland. I bought so many Irish sweaters, Belleek,  crystal, jewelry and dolls.

Speaking of dolls, Marie Osmond and other vendors sold

me many dolls.

Fenton glass shows started me on that collection.

There was Gabriella from whom I bought beautiful

sweaters.

I bought silk clothing from Diane Von Furstenburg.

Perlier was sold on QVC back in the 90's.

Another line of jewelry was marcasite by Judith Jack.

I still have a beautiful onyx and marcasite ring from her show.

Irwin Pearl and Kenneth J. Lane also sold beautiful

fashion jewelry. Kirk's Folly had fun magical shows.

I can't remember the brand, but I also bought Oriental

rugs in the 90's.

All sterling silver and 14 kt. gold jewelry was sold at

very affordable prices and were much better quality than what

is sold now.

Stan Herman was on often with his beautiful chenille robes and loungewear.

I miss the Birkenstock shows. Sally sold me many pairs of sandals. She was a hoot.

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff   I was just thinking about the show that Kathy Levine did from Brazil. As I recall all of the Amethyst jewelry sold out. People were buying like crazy. I believe Jane Treacy did a sapphire show from Australia. Someone said that they don't think jewelry when thinking about QVC any longer. I feel the same way.  

Respected Contributor

I echo the same thought . . . when I think of QVC I no longer think "jewelry". I've had that thought for a long time.

I remember reading an article about QVC not long after 9/11. It basically said that people's priorities were shifting away from jewelry and into home/kitchen/electronic items.  

I do think the shift away from jewelry did start around that time. Of course it took awhile, it didn't happen over night.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey @lmt  I think that several factors have caused less interest in jewelry.       We who bought gold, silver and gems in

the 90's got the best deals at reasonable prices. A lot of us built huge collections. How much more do we need?

The economy changed after 2008 and things like jewelry were

not priority for many. Most younger people do not have the budget for fine jewelry. They would rather spend their money for

electronics, new cars and travel. If they buy jewelry, the young people I know are happy with fashion jewelry.

Gold prices have escalated. Even silver is much higher now.

QVC  and local jewelers can no longer offer the high quality jewelry at affordable prices. We were so fortunate to be able to buy all

that we did ; solid gold 14K & 18K, sterling silver , platinum

and gems, beautifully styled, high quality and reasonably priced.

I have been giving a lot of it to my daughters, grand daughters and great grand daughter. They would never consider buying jewelry like this for themselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:
I've seen saltwater cultured pearls in the past on QVC. At one time I owned two strands of Mikimoto pearls but for everyday wear much prefer Shell pearls ( several vendors on EBay). These are manmade from real nacre into which a center bead is dipped ( individually knotted and very reasonable price).

I was going to ask if QVC EVER offered salt water pearls from oysters.  On Germ Shopping I see South Sea pearls (from Australia) and Golden pearls (from the Philippines)  They also offer "natural pearls" (not farmed but found by divers, some are extremely expensive) and of course farmed pearls.  The cultured are not that expensive (Not as expensive than gems, but much more expensive than fresh water pearls)  Also most of the pearls are round.  In fact, the rounder they are, the more expensive. I'm not a long time viewer of QVC, but I've only seen fresh water pearls there.

Valued Contributor

I never liked the blazing colored, dyed pearls. Really, has anyone ever opened an oyster and found a bright pearl?

I saved up my money and bought a string of Akoya (Japanese) salt-water pearls, Just beautiful. I like fresh water pearls too but I can always tell the difference; it seems to me that salt-water pearls are a little whiter and shinier.