Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a 50+ year-old Golden South Sea pearl necklace from my mom. It's never been restrung and it needs it. But since I would never wear it, the thing just sits in a box. I really don't trust anyone to restring it anyway. I should just sell it.

No, go to your local jeweler,  I had a mikimoto strand restrung, and it was very reasonable. Your mom would want you to enjoy them, even if it's occasionally. 

Honored Contributor

I aspire to own golden south sea pearls and if I had a strand, I would run to get them re- strung and then would wear them as often as the occasion demands!!! I do have one golden pearl pendant that I bought a couple years ago, as a to- me from -me reward for going thru a very contentous divorce.  It is lovely. Set in gold with 3 Moissinite stones on the bale. Had earrings already. I love pearls and have alot, that I wear every day. I am a June girl too. Am glad to see Honora back.

Honored Contributor

Re: The new Honora

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm not a fan of pearls, especially  Honora, however, it was good to see Joel again.  He appeared to be well.

@Kachina624 long before QVC carried Honora, I bought a 30 inch opera length strand of saltwater pearls in a fine jewelry store that specialized in designer brands. The quality is AAA and the Lustre is incredible. All of the Honora merchandise was in platinum and 18k gold. No comparison with QVC's merchandise sold here in 2023.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a 50+ year-old Golden South Sea pearl necklace from my mom. It's never been restrung and it needs it. But since I would never wear it, the thing just sits in a box. I really don't trust anyone to restring it anyway. I should just sell it.

Same here.  I have a cultured pearl necklace from my mother that's from the late 1970s.  It sits in a box and I never wear it.   

I'm sure it needs t be restrung but a solid strand of pearls is really not my style now.  I prefer stations of pearls between a chain.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Several ladies on another jewelry forum I read have restrung their pearls themselves following instructions in Youtube videos. They claim it's not hard, getting the knots tight between the pearls is easy with the proper technique and tools. 

The thing about taking pearls to a jewelry store to be restrung is that they always ship such things out to subcontractors. Who knows where the pearls will go or who will be restringing them, possibly manhandling them in the process. 

The golden South Sea pearl necklace sounds absolutely exquisite! What a treasure!

Honored Contributor

I will try Honora one of these days, when I quit buying so much clearance fashion on impulse.  For those that like irregular pearls, check Genusis (sp?) on JTV.  Beauitiful, imho.