Honored Contributor

The great bracelet closure project

Want to make a million bucks?  Figure out some way to secure bracelets that don't have a lobster claw clasp.  Then patent it.  I'm envisioning something that can tighten over any type of closure unobtrusively.  Lobster claws seem to be the only ones that stay on without worry but I can't get them on by myself.  Box inserts can work loose even with safety catches on the side.  Magnets are practically a joke. When I leave the house I don't want to spend my day checking my wrist.     

QVC Customer Care

Re: The great bracelet closure project

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.

Respected Contributor

@depglass    I don't know what would work and be as secure as the lobster claw clasp. I have a couple of magnetic clasps that I ordered from Amazon for necklaces. You can them them in different strengths. Some are recommended for bracelets because the magnet is stronger.  I probably wouldn't use one on an antique or very expensive bracelet. Now if they would just quit using those fish hook clasps on pearl necklaces I would be happy. I cannot get these closed to save my life.

Valued Contributor

Are you familiar with the "Bracelet Buddy"  that qvc has been selling for years?  It hold one end of the bracelet while you attach the other end.

Honored Contributor

@Beeweaver gave you your answer, don't buy a cheap bracelet.

I have one bracelet, nothing special (I have many bracelets) not even sure where purchased but it has a foldover locking/snap closure with a magnet inside as well.

@depglass wrote:

Want to make a million bucks?  Figure out some way to secure bracelets that don't have a lobster claw clasp.  Then patent it.  I'm envisioning something that can tighten over any type of closure unobtrusively.  Lobster claws seem to be the only ones that stay on without worry but I can't get them on by myself.  Box inserts can work loose even with safety catches on the side.  Magnets are practically a joke. When I leave the house I don't want to spend my day checking my wrist.     

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have a bracelet buddy, bought it from Kathy Levine.  I am just more fumble fingered than I used to be.  John Hardy jewelry is beautiful, the problem is the price.  I always admired Jill's arm full of Hardy bracelets.  The reference to the foldover clasp rang a bell, I think I might have one.  Perhaps I should inventory my jewelry stash.  

Esteemed Contributor

If the bracelet is more tight fitting, any clasp will be harder.  A looser fit gives more play.  Just like an oval bangle fits better.

Contributor

I completely agree!  I actually love a lobster claw over anything else out there.  It seems More difficult to find them as everything seems to have those worthless toggle style closures.  I won’t even consider a bracelet if it has a toggle clasp.  I don’t know why I don’t hear anyone else complain about the toggle choice as they become ubdone for me every time!  The look cool, but don’t work.  Even the longer bar designer style is dangerous!  

Contributor

I forgot to add that I own a beautiful Barbara Bixby gemstone flower bracelet that I just had to have.  I love it so much, but I just admire it because of the magnet clasp.  It is invisible, but it has fallen off.  The magnet is very strong, but should not be the closure for this piece.

Valued Contributor

I have several Ann King bracelets from years ago that have big lobster claw clasps. They are much easier to get on than those small little ones. I like to wear them on vacation since I know they aren't going anywhere. 

Maybe you can find some bigger ones  on Amazon or jewelry findings websites? 

My cousin in law uses tape instead of a bracelet buddy. It secures one end of the bracelet so you only have to wrestle with the other end.I have used her suggestion and it has helped with some bracelets. Holding the bracelet buddy and the other  end of the bracelet have proven to be a daunting task sometimes!