Honored Contributor

That yellow stone in an early 20th century engagement ring

On May 25 of this year I posted a question about a friend's ring, her grandmother's engagement ring.  She was born in 1893 so we were thinking 1910-1920 date for a yellow stone set in 18K white gold high prong basket style ring.  There was quite a bit of interest in this thread so I'm posting the answer.  I finally found a jeweler who knows gemstones.  She says its a yellow sapphire, which fits into that history slot nicely.  

Honored Contributor

Re: That yellow stone in an early 20th century engagement ring

[ Edited ]

Thank you @depglass  for letting us know what that yellow stone is. I was one of the posters who was curious about it. I thought it might be a sapphire and I did mention that back in your original thread. 

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Jewelry/What-yellow-gem-was-used-in-engagement-rings-in-the-1920s/td-p/...

Honored Contributor

I remember your OP, thank you for letting us know what it was!

I didn't know that sapphires came in yellow, they must be rare?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

What a wonderful find ! Would love to see a picture of the ring. Thanks you for letting us all know. I to was curious

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Do you have a photo of this ring?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly I don't.  I used to sell on Ebay and DD always did the photography.  So I never bothered to learn.  She is 450 miles from here, but next time she visits I'll have her run me through it.  I don't even have a smart phone due to the remote area we live in.

Sillee Me, thanks for link.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom Sapphires come in a lot of colors.  I have a sister who bought large green sapphires abut 50 years ago and they are gorgeous.  A lot of people just prefer the blue variety.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Sapphires come in all colors of the rainbow.  I've seen some lovely "rainbow sapphire" pieces of jewelry.

Respected Contributor

@depglass   Thank you for circling back to let us know the result with regard to the ring you mentioned in May.

I really appreciate you telling us the rest of the story.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Regular Contributor

Actually that yellow stone is a Yag. My mother in law had that as engagement ring.