Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the ruler, Alberti - wish more jewelry hosts would use it

Thanks so much, Alberti, for using a ruler to show us viewers the size of jewelry pieces you present! I don't think any of the other hosts do this (except maybe Antonella), and I wish QVC would encourage all the hosts to use rulers. You can't always tell how large or how wide a piece is just by seeing it on the host, a vendor, or a model. It's disappointing when you receive a ring, pendant, or bracelet that turns out to be smaller than you thought. Yes, you can look up the piece's dimensions online. But it would be nice to have visual confirmation while you're watching on TV.

In the old days, everyone who hosted a jewelry show kept a ruler handy and gave out pieces' measurements. I don't know if the hosts were required to do this back then, but it's a presentation technique I'd love to see brought back. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanks for the ruler, Alberti - wish more jewelry hosts would use it

When I was buying jewelry, I finally took the rings I liked best and measured them so I'd have some comparison for all those measurements.

Thinking back, it seems as if I always knew which necklace size I wanted, but rings and bracelets and earrings?  Definitely a learning curse there.

Honored Contributor

And back in the day when hosts did use a ruler, this board was full of snarks about it.    

I like to see a ruler.   But if I had to choose, and I don't, between a ruler or seeing it on a model, I'll pick the model every time.   For jewelry, that is.

A necklace can look substantial on the bust but delicate on the neck.    Same with rings.

Frequent Contributor

Ideally, let's have both jewelry on models and hosts giving measurements. Gram weights too, if a piece is especially hefty.